Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
So how real is the risk of burn in on an OLED screen?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
From what I've read not much.....same warnings I got on my plasmas I think. Do you watch ESPN or other channels a whole lot and let the logo burn in? Maybe....

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
You guys and your big screens. I still have a 52" plasma but like Pogre need to sit closer for gaming or Youtube. No burn in after 11 years but I try to avoid onscreen logos for too long a period to be on the safe side. I like the Sonys too and was looking at the X900H series which is available up to 85".

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You guys and your big screens. I still have a 52" plasma but like Pogre need to sit closer for gaming or Youtube. No burn in after 11 years but I try to avoid onscreen logos for too long a period to be on the safe side. I like the Sonys too and was looking at the X900H series which is available up to 85".
My 2018 x900 is pretty solid. I’d like to step up to the 950, but for the price… I wouldn’t have any qualms just upsizing to a larger x900.

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
I picked up an 85" X900 last month. Coming from a 75" Samsung it is a very noticeable difference in both size and quality. Very happy with the purchase.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So how real is the risk of burn in on an OLED screen?
I have not experienced burn in. My OLED has not shown burn in. At first I was really careful. However now I don't really think about it.
My son has had a 65" LG OLED, for longer than I have. He has had zero burn in as well.

So my hunch is that in sensible normal use the risk must be zero or close. I suspect that you would have to be a total idiot and leave the same screen on the same image for a week! I would not put this into your purchase considerations.

I would say once more, that if wide viewing angle is a must for you, then an OLED is your only option. However, that is not bad, as OLED is far superior to LED in everyway. I can honestly say, I have never seen a LED TV that I like. The only TVs comparable are plasma, but they are no longer available. Our other two screens are Panasonic plasmas, a 65" and a 55". Both have very natural colors, but the OLED does best them on detail, as long as the source is a good 4K source. I can tell you that sources are not equal by a long shot. The plasmas emit significant heat, the OLED runs cool.

My beef with LED TVs is their over vivid colors, with their inability to produce those natural pastel shades. Plasmas and OLEDs do this well.

In my view the LG OLEDs are the best currently available with Sony a close second. However I think on my evaluation LG wins by a nose, but that I can not be certain of. So I suspect you would be happy with either.

I should also say for the record, that my next door neighbors also have two LG OLED screens, one for about a year, and the other for about a couple of months in their basement. They have had zero issues.

Anyone can be unlucky with any purchase. However that is a pretty good record. My son did have a stuck pixel early on, and LG replaced the actual screen under warranty, with the repair being done in the home. This happened early in use for what that is worth.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
From what I've read not much.....same warnings I got on my plasmas I think. Do you watch ESPN or other channels a whole lot and let the logo burn in? Maybe....
We typically channel surf unless we are watching Sports or movies.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
My 2018 x900 is pretty solid. I’d like to step up to the 950, but for the price… I wouldn’t have any qualms just upsizing to a larger x900.
That 950 has me stuck. That is a great looking tv.

I am tempted to wait until Sony releases the 2021 85 inch Bravia model To see how much the price drops on the 950, or buy the 950 in a 75 inch, or the 85 inch 900, that are disappearing rapidly.

why are the tv’s at Costco a different model number? BB sales rep said they usually are missing a feature or two. BS?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That 950 has me stuck. That is a great looking tv.

I am tempted to wait until Sony releases the 2021 85 inch Bravia model To see how much the price drops on the 950, or buy the 950 in a 75 inch, or the 85 inch 900, that are disappearing rapidly.

why are the tv’s at Costco a different model number? BB sales rep said they usually are missing a feature or two. BS?
One thing I should mention is that I advise that you buy these TVs at a brick and mortar store. My son ordered his on line from out of state. The first TV arrived badly damaged and had to be returned. So I have to wonder if his screen problem was due to rough handling in transit, and I think it may well have been. So I strongly advise buying from a store, even if it costs a little more. So if you think you can shave a few dollars, if it results in hassle like that, you haven't. I had Best Buy deliver mine to the house. That keeps things clean and simple. Saving a hassle is worth money.

As far as that Sony 950 LED, my second son has one of those, 85". It is nowhere nearly in the same class as mu OLED. There really is no contest there. If you are spending that much money, why buy yesterday's technology?

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
The wife wants a new tv(shame on her)
I need at least 80”. Budget around $2500.
I like the Sony 950, regretted not buying it last time.

We watch movies and live sports. Looking for something with good viewing from the angles. The room is wide.
Any thoughts.
I want to purchase this weekend.

Help me spend some money!

Thanks.
Stay away from the 950. the viewing angles are not good. Get an OLED like an LG C1. You will have to cough up some dollars but you will be happy.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I have not experienced burn in. My OLED has not shown burn in. At first I was really careful. However now I don't really think about it.
My son has had a 65" LG OLED, for longer than I have. He has had zero burn in as well.

So my hunch is that in sensible normal use the risk must be zero or close. I suspect that you would have to be a total idiot and leave the same screen on the same image for a week! I would not put this into your purchase considerations.

I would say once more, that if wide viewing angle is a must for you, then an OLED is your only option. However, that is not bad, as OLED is far superior to LED in everyway. I can honestly say, I have never seen a LED TV that I like. The only TVs comparable are plasma, but they are no longer available. Our other two screens are Panasonic plasmas, a 65" and a 55". Both have very natural colors, but the OLED does best them on detail, as long as the source is a good 4K source. I can tell you that sources are not equal by a long shot. The plasmas emit significant heat, the OLED runs cool.

My beef with LED TVs is their over vivid colors, with their inability to produce those natural pastel shades. Plasmas and OLEDs do this well.

In my view the LG OLEDs are the best currently available with Sony a close second. However I think on my evaluation LG wins by a nose, but that I can not be certain of. So I suspect you would be happy with either.

I should also say for the record, that my next door neighbors also have two LG OLED screens, one for about a year, and the other for about a couple of months in their basement. They have had zero issues.

Anyone can be unlucky with any purchase. However that is a pretty good record. My son did have a stuck pixel early on, and LG replaced the actual screen under warranty, with the repair being done in the home. This happened early in use for what that is worth.
Sony OLEDs have the best picture quality for movies, LG's are better for gaming.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Sony OLEDs have the best picture quality for movies, LG's are better for gaming.
The winner in the clubhouse! $1999 plus tax, 5 year warranty. That’s a big box.

Thanks you all for your help. I will post pictures .
3E0E545C-B5A7-45C4-823A-4C375064E657.jpeg

87F8817D-D9E9-4B4B-A8A3-FCB5B9280366.jpeg

Wife got the tv, I got the Amp.

What kind of cables do I need to connect this
Beast with?

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The winner in the clubhouse! $1999 plus tax, 5 year warranty. That’s a big box.

Thanks you all for your help. I will post pictures .

Wife got the tv, I got the Amp.

What kind of cables do I need to connect this
Beast with?
Sony Bravia stuff is nice and the quality is good too. I'm curious to know what the off angle viewing is like since that was mentioned in this thread.

Any new gear in that price range will have eARC support which allows two-way communication over the HDMI cable. (Allows you to both feed source material from the AVR to the tv and to feed audio from the tv to the AVR when using smart-tv features or sources plugged into the tv, no optical audio cable required.) You just need a good quality HDMI cable rated to handle 4k video.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I did some searching and the differences between the X900x (90x) and X950x (X95x) are pretty minimal. According to RTINGS, the the X95 models will have better reflection mitigation, off angle viewing and are brighter, the X90 models have a better input lag for gaming and better contrast. Most of the results were a wash.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
What do I need to connect the amplifier to the Denon? RCA or a combo RCA/ XLR?

Will I need a cooling fan for the amp?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What do I need to connect the amplifier to the Denon? RCA or a combo RCA/ XLR?

Will I need a cooling fan for the amp?
Eh? Oh on second look I see some pics of things and a question below I missed....but can't see the whole amp. If it has rca just use rca, no advantage in using an adapter cable to xlr....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Also, as far as cooling goes it depends on whether or not you have sufficient clearance or how difficult your speakers might be. I say run it without and see if it gets hot. I don't use a fan on any of my stuff since I offloaded a few channels to a separate amp.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
065C3A80-9E49-4EA5-B397-28402B68D4B6.jpeg

I wouldn’t want my new friend to feel left out.

For the record, I don’t expect any great improvement in SQ, I just wanted more headroom, and to take the pressure off of my receiver.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
View attachment 48370

I wouldn’t want my new friend to feel left out.

For the record, I don’t expect any great improvement in SQ, I just wanted more headroom, and to take the pressure off of my receiver.
Hey, I have one for the same reasons! Congrats! You're really going to love that amp.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Uhhh…. Exactly what will I need to connect it?
Eh? Oh on second look I see some pics of things and a question below I missed....but can't see the whole amp. If it has rca just use rca, no advantage in using an adapter cable to xlr....
Thanks Lovin.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis