Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
The wife wants a new tv(shame on her)
I need at least 80”. Budget around $2500.
I like the Sony 950, regretted not buying it last time.

We watch movies and live sports. Looking for something with good viewing from the angles. The room is wide.
Any thoughts.
I want to purchase this weekend.

Help me spend some money!

Thanks.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I've been a Sony fan and haven't had a problem with any of my Sony TVs. I would love to upgrade both of ours a step... put a 65" x900 out front and do a 55" x950 in my room (right now 55" x850 and 49" x900, respectively).
The only thing that would change my mind is if I found a better TV for the occasional gaming that I do... But likely never another Samsung.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Man, I have room for a bigger tv and could actually use one. I still have to sit closer for gaming to be able to see stuff in the distance or just little details in general.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I went with a 65 inch up from a 52 inch it looks huge to us . The wife wanted a 80 or 85 but in our room it would have been overwhelming I think . I don’t game primarily Blu-ray and streaming apps .

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The Rtings site is a good place to compare TV sets:

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
BB has the 2020 x950 85” for $2300 with no interest for 24 months or 10% rebate in the form of a gift card.
The 2021 model is $3799 for the 85”
the 2021 X90J is $2399 for a 75” and more than I want to spend for the 85”

my realistic choice is between the 2020 X900H 85” or the x90j 75”..

the ”best” is the X90J but do I give up 10 inches to have the best?
for those of you that don’t know, 10 inches is significant!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The wife wants a new tv(shame on her)
I need at least 80”. Budget around $2500.
I like the Sony 950, regretted not buying it last time.

We watch movies and live sports. Looking for something with good viewing from the angles. The room is wide.
Any thoughts.
I want to purchase this weekend.

Help me spend some money!

Thanks.
If you want good viewing from the angles, the only flat screens to have that, are Plasmas, which are no longer available and OLED.

Unfortunately 77" OLED is outside you budget, and unless you can raise it. If you really want wide angle viewing then you need an OLED. The 65" LG CX series a little below your budget, and the 77" a little above. If you want the specs you stated, that is your best option. I have been using a 77" LG OLED for 18 months or more now and I am very happy with it. LG make all the panels, so you might as well buy an LG and avoid another mark up and screens a year older.

I can tell you for sure, an OLED is far superior to any LED.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Is 120 native refresh good, or should I look for 240?
Well... the initial joke about "size" and "refresh rate" aside... :p

... 120 is pretty much all you need unless you are really trying to find the bleeding edge of technology. Gamers want the fastest screens, and 8K enthusiasts are still bordering on delusional. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I will say, that my biggest complaint about the Sony Screens are the viewing angle and reflectivity of them. To be fair, I am less put off by the former which isn't great, and it works well from most common viewing angles unless you have a very wide room and plan on passively watching from much wider angles.
Reflectivity is more my issue.
IIRC, RTINGS measures and rates both of those. My newer Sony, the 49" X900 is decent in both... not exemplary. If I have some light in my room and the screen is dark, I can definitely see myself and/or my room to some extent. This isn't a deal breaker... there are many other issues I would rate higher on the list, such as heat generation (I'm in a pretty small room, so a hotter TV would warm my space more than I would like... and I already have a good quality Marantz space heater in my system! :p

Last time I got into RTINGS stuff, they were offering limited reviews for free. I did not pursue what subscribing would cost, but I have found their work to be pretty accurate and thorough.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I will say, that my biggest complaint about the Sony Screens are the viewing angle and reflectivity of them. To be fair, I am less put off by the former which isn't great, and it works well from most common viewing angles unless you have a very wide room and plan on passively watching from much wider angles.
Reflectivity is more my issue.
IIRC, RTINGS measures and rates both of those. My newer Sony, the 49" X900 is decent in both... not exemplary. If I have some light in my room and the screen is dark, I can definitely see myself and/or my room to some extent. This isn't a deal breaker... there are many other issues I would rate higher on the list, such as heat generation (I'm in a pretty small room, so a hotter TV would warm my space more than I would like... and I already have a good quality Marantz space heater in my system! :p

Last time I got into RTINGS stuff, they were offering limited reviews for free. I did not pursue what subscribing would cost, but I have found their work to be pretty accurate and thorough.
Yes, the theme of poor viewing angles is consistent with everything I read. The tv will hang on a 14’ wall.

Sony 85" Class - X90CH Series - 4K UHD LED LCD TV

Item 9985900
Model XBR85X90CH
★★★★★ ★★★★★ 4.5 out of 5 stars. Read reviews for Sony 85" Class - X90CH Series - 4K UHD LED LCD TV
(3244)

Your Price
2,169.99$
Delivery Only (set up and installation NOT included)
Setup is available for $19.99
Price valid through 6/6/21
While supplies last.
Features:
  • 5 Year Manufacturer Warranty
  • Direct Full Array LED
  • TRILUMINOS Display
  • X-Motion Clarity
  • Screen Size: 84.6" Diag.
this is the tv, Costco won’t let me order online and there are none in stock locally. 20 miles from me, there are 6 in the store. Costco will not let me order from that store or transfer to another store. No truck no tv…today.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I too like OLED tvs. Game changing difference over LED. You can preview at bestbuy. Sony has OLED too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I too like OLED tvs. Game changing difference over LED. You can preview at bestbuy. Sony has OLED too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The prospect of potential burn in keeps me leery, but without a doubt OLED PQ is incredible…

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Man, you make me wanna get a bigger tv. It would have to be 85". The one I have now is 77. Anything less than 85 would feel too lateral, tho I do have a very entry level tv and could likely improve pq. 3k tho... phew.

I can remember over 20 years ago when I bought an entertainment center with a cubby big enough for up to a 48" tv thinking, "I'll never need a tv any bigger than that!". I'm undersized with the 77" I have right now! I repurposed the entertainment center. It's a knick knack display for my wife's Precious Moments collection now.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
my wife's Precious Moments collection
1623009520128.png

My Mom was into figurines and such... gawd I do not miss that. I don't remember her being into PM stuff, but she had gobs of other tchotchke... umm... stuff all over the house.
I haven't been back home since she passed... I was supposed to go back last Spring but Covid shut that down... and I'm interested in seeing what my Dad has done. I know he has made a lot of trips to Goodwill and whatnot (including the "gotjunk" guys)... but didn't have the patience to take all the... ummm... stuff for appraisal and whatever.
I can't say as I blame him... that would have been full time work to maybe find the few valuables in the mix.
I'm expecting bare walls and a few serviceable pieces of furniture left at this point. :p

Did you have to go through and museum putty all of those to keep them on the shelves? :D
Slow motion subwoofer on Make a GIF

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Man, you make me wanna get a bigger tv. It would have to be 85". The one I have now is 77. Anything less than 85 would feel too lateral, tho I do have a very entry level tv and could likely improve pq. 3k tho... phew.

I can remember over 20 years ago when I bought an entertainment center with a cubby big enough for up to a 48" tv thinking, "I'll never need a tv any bigger than that!". I'm undersized with the 77" I have right now! I repurposed the entertainment center. It's a knick knack display for my wife's Precious Moments collection now.
Lol.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
View attachment 48329
My Mom was into figurines and such... gawd I do not miss that. I don't remember her being into PM stuff, but she had gobs of other tchotchke... umm... stuff all over the house.
I haven't been back home since she passed... I was supposed to go back last Spring but Covid shut that down... and I'm interested in seeing what my Dad has done. I know he has made a lot of trips to Goodwill and whatnot (including the "gotjunk" guys)... but didn't have the patience to take all the... ummm... stuff for appraisal and whatever.
I can't say as I blame him... that would have been full time work to maybe find the few valuables in the mix.
I'm expecting bare walls and a few serviceable pieces of furniture left at this point. :p

Did you have to go through and museum putty all of those to keep them on the shelves? :D
Slow motion subwoofer on Make a GIF
My bass is so smooth I don't even need putty! :p

I figure if I can find another 1212NR I can get the wife’s hair do this anywhere in the living room...

tenor (7).gif

Then I'll have achieved my goal!

I had to do something with her PM stuff. It was getting to where I had no room anywhere for all of my extra speakers...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I had to look up the precious moments thingies.... :oops:

When my plasma dies I'm going OLED....no more lcd for me I think. I keep looking at projectors, tho.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis