Upgrade: AMP or Speakers?

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
While I believe that the surrounds are far less important than the mains, I wouldn't class them as "afterthought" either. Try a movie like "hollow man", and see how much they can be used.

If it's the choice between second-rate fronts and surrounds, or first-rate fronts with third-rate surrounds: get the first-rate fronts. But if you've just spent $16k on a pair of fronts, try to do something better than $100 surrounds.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I would go even further and say the surround budget should be used towards the front/center for now, seeing as how there are speakers used already.

Add matching surrounds later.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
In 2010, the CM7 are more expensive 2k$+ for a pair. In that range, I think you can have better speakers for the money. The Dali Lektor 8 for instance.

I'll have to listen to the Klipsch again and again. In the store, I've compare them with the Paradigm Studio 60 (GREAT too). For my taste, I prefer the Klipsch WF-35 system over the studio's for few reasons. Altough the Paradigm got better and more accurate bass response (which, in my case, I don't really care for), The Klipsch got better highs (IMO) and a widder sound stage. The surrounds speakers are one of the best I've ever heard in my life.

The other day I also brang my center channel (Athena AS-C1) to the store to do an A/B/C comparaison with the Klipsch and the Paradigm. The paradigm have a very good "reference sound". Clear, flat, accurate. The Klipsch is very clear and I tought it was the one with the most "natural" dialogue reproduction. It felt like the actors were actually speaking in front of us, in the same room. As for mine, it was the worst of all 3. I felt like the actors were speaking with their hands in front of their mouth...

The Dali are great too, but the last time I've heard them they were pushed by an 18k$ McIntosh stereo system...
Paradigm Studio 60 are made in North America - very good quality. I have listened to the Paradigm towers (don't remember exactly which ones) and I was impressed. I'd rather go with Paradigm Studio 60 but I am not the one buying.
Funny you chose Klipsch; years ago, for almost 1 year I wanted to buy a pair but I didn't have the money. Later, when I finally had some money to buy my first pair of speakers I ended up paying a lot more for Vienna Acoustics...
Funny! :):):) Klipsch were the first speakers I wanted to buy.

Last edited:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
As far as I remember, it's woofers that make that clicking noise as they are being subjected to too much power and being overdriven. Blown tweeters are generally silent.
That's what I heard when I blew a tweeter - nothing.

jeanseb

jeanseb

Audioholic
Gotta Love X-Mas

First of all, Merry Christmas to every Audiohilics members! Hope you all the best for 2010 and specially the best sound!

Santa came by my place yesterday! I sold my speakers! :D

I'm now a proud owner of the Klipsch WF-35 speaker system! I LOVE them! Bright, clear and crisp!

Gotta Love Christmas!

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
First of all, Merry Christmas to every Audiohilics members! Hope you all the best for 2010 and specially the best sound!

Santa came by my place yesterday! I sold my speakers! :D

I'm now a proud owner of the Klipsch WF-35 speaker system! I LOVE them! Bright, clear and crisp!

Gotta Love Christmas!
Merry Christmas to you too!
I hope you'll enjoy your speakers for many years - they are quite lookers !!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis