Upgrade: AMP or Speakers?

jeanseb

jeanseb

Audioholic
Thanks Jerry!

One last question for tonight:

Would upgrading my wiring (4'-8' sections) from 16AWG to 12 AWG would make any difference?

Thanks!

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
So let's say that I put a hand on a Klipsch WF system, using Bi-Amp on the mains wouldn't make any difference?
Not even a little bit... at 97db sensitivity, its unlikely that you'll ever even need more than 5-10 watts anyways, and since you have a passive xover, the bi-amping will be completely negated. (considering your levels are matched)

You probably won't notice a sound difference upgrading speaker wire, but it will satisfy the mental urge to do so. I know i just HAD to to sleep at night. YMMV

jeanseb

jeanseb

Audioholic
Thanks Jerry! Very informative!

Let's say that I could get a real deal on the Klipsch, but on the demos, would you suggest me to pay a couple hundreds more and have brand new ones or go with the demos and save some $$$ (maybe to add an SMS-1)? I think they've been in the showroom for a year.

Thanks!

ParadigmDawg: Is there a reson why you stack your subs? In your case, does it sound better this way?

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Let's say that I could get a real deal on the Klipsch, but on the demos, would you suggest me to pay a couple hundreds more and have brand new ones or go with the demos and save some $$$ (maybe to add an SMS-1)? I think they've been in the showroom for a year.
Speakers don't wear out as the result of normal use. If the demos are in the shape you want (and are the model you want) defintaely get them.

jeanseb

jeanseb

Audioholic
Speakers don't wear out as the result of normal use. If the demos are in the shape you want (and are the model you want) defintaely get them.
Jerry, you're faster than Tiger Wood with a waitress!

Ok, I was scared because they may have skip the "break-in period". Or maybe a kid played with the drivers/tweeters....

I wouldn't like to come home and eventually heard them making some popcorn noise...

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Ok, I was scared because they may have skip the "break-in period". Or maybe a kid played with the drivers/tweeters....
Look and see that there's no damage to the cones. Turn up the volume a bit and listent to see if there's any odd sounds. Turn down the volume a lot and do the same. The most common damange (other than pushed in domes/cones) would be a blown tweeter: which usually is most audiable in higher vocals.

When on low, walk over to one speaker and listen to each driver seperately (put your ear near each in turn, but don't hurt your hearing) then the other speaker.

That's about it. Not much else in the way of "hidden damage" I've every run into.

jeanseb

jeanseb

Audioholic
Look and see that there's no damage to the cones. Turn up the volume a bit and listent to see if there's any odd sounds. Turn down the volume a lot and do the same. The most common damange (other than pushed in domes/cones) would be a blown tweeter: which usually is most audiable in higher vocals.

When on low, walk over to one speaker and listen to each driver seperately (put your ear near each in turn, but don't hurt your hearing) then the other speaker.

That's about it. Not much else in the way of "hidden damage" I've every run into.
Blown tweeters would make "clicking" noise at high volume, right?

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Last ones I heard sounded... like something was vibrating in the speaker. It was a pair of McIntosh 717s, and the owner honestly didn't hear it until I found just the right music and played it through only one speaker.

How exactly it will sound will depend on how it's damaged. It's usually pretty distinct as long as you are listening for it. It helps to listen to something your are familiar with.

jeanseb

jeanseb

Audioholic
Good to know, and I suppose this kind of issue is covered by the warranty? (hope for that McIntosh owner at least!)

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
Play some music with a fast electric guitar solo. If the tweeter is blown, you'll pick it up right away. When I was at the Big 12 Championship game, the PA speaker right in front of me blew its tweeter during warm-ups. I wanted to rip my eyes out everytime they played Welcome to the Jungle.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Good to know, and I suppose this kind of issue is covered by the warranty? (hope for that McIntosh owner at least!)
The McIntosh 717 was built in the 1980... so no. Ordered a new tweeter and swapped them out. If the parts are still available: McIntosh is often the cheapest place to get them (or the OEM). Discontinued Mc stuff is *way* expensive relative to what it is (as my hunt for a replacement woofer for an XR5 is reminding me).

jeanseb

jeanseb

Audioholic
I'm still thinking about those Klipsch... God I like them...! But I wanna save for a house.... tough choice! Hope santa will be on my side this year :p

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
To the OP,
Have you treated the room? How your speakers interact with your room have the biggest impact on sound. So treat your room and if you need more power then add an amp (having an amp around is never a bad thing, more headroom, plus they hold their value better then just about anything). If you still aren't satisfied then it must be the speakers. Sell them and get something else. But treat the room first, regardless of what equipment you go with, you are going to want to treat the room.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
As far as I remember, it's woofers that make that clicking noise as they are being subjected to too much power and being overdriven. Blown tweeters are generally silent.

S

Sinsreesy

Audiophyte
Upgrade AMP or Speakers

Is there anyone in the forum that is familiar with TSS speakers? I spotted a used pair of TSS 4312s in a local store.On the back the only info is that they were made in California by TSS Loudspeakers.I cannot find info on this make anywhere on the web. They really look to be in great condition,3 way, 12 sub driver 3" mid and tweeter. They want 175 for the pair. They are not hooked up so I havent heard them yet.
They look like they were made in the 70s or 80s.

Thanks

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
So I just came back from the A/V store to look for new speakers (B&W 683, Paradigm Studio 60, Dali Lektor 6). After asking me what setup do I have, the salesman told me that if I were going to upgrade to high end speakers and were going to keep my Yamaha AVR, I would not be satisfy because they would show the lack of details produce by my AVR, speacially a Yamaha. Unlike Marantz or Cambridge, he stated that Yamaha are not good "sonic" amp, that you pay more for the DSP than the audio quality itself.

He then suggested me to upgrade my amp first, and then speakers. Salesmen BS or is it the truth?

Do you guys share the same opinion?
Best bang for the buck is
1 - upgrading the speakers
2 - room treatment
3 - good CDs/wine/beer
4 - amplifier
10 - DAC
Buy the best speakers you can and keep the Yamaha AVR.
If you have any money left - invest in CDs and beer/wine.
Some time ago I had a Marantz integrated amplifier I bought for 399$. It used to drive some expensive Vienna Acoustics speakers (4k$). Later I upgraded to Primare I21 amplifier 1399$ and I was disappointed. The Marantz sounded so much better...

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis