UPDATED: Mark L. Schifter, PLEADS GUILTY to suspicion of charity fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sandbagger

Audioholic Intern
You actually think he owns the rights to ANYTHING?

I wonder if Craig might pick up some of the designs for TCA, or perhaps someone else could take them up. I bet you could buy th rights to all that stuff real cheap.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
I doubt many of those made it far enough along in the design process to have much to "pick up." The LS-4 had a cabinet design, but Danny at one point said he'd never actually designed the crossover - and for a long time he suggested that the very concept of the LS-4 was suspect because it was too short to be a true line source. I suspect that most of those never got past the "wouldn't that be cool" napkin sketch level. The Strata On-Wall and X-Otica are probably that way, and the X-Hub was probably just a copy of a generic chassis design and a list of planned inputs/outputs. The LS Center, Strata Max, and Strata Center probably never even got to a proper napkin sketch. A couple of them (RSC-500, Ref 200, and the SWG/monitor) went through multiple iterations - I think the SWG/MLS monitor showed up in sketches and renderings with probably four or five different cabinet designs over the course of about three years - that it's almost impossible to even say what they are supposed to be anymore.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
You actually think he owns the rights to ANYTHING?
Here's something interesting that I found out while making some phone inquiries to the Colorado Secretary of State's office some time back. I'd been looking up information on AV451/Perpetual Technologies and searched their database. Various listings and within those listings were documents. It turned out that there were occasions when they didn't file certain reports on time. I was curious as to what the significance of that was so I called them. I was told the company is required to submit annual reports. Now, after a certain amount of time, if the annual report is not filed, the company loses the right to such things as their name - AV123. This means that anyone then can use that name and start a product line based on it within the state of Colorado. AFAIK, he never trademarked it with the USPTO. I forget the exact amount of time that has to pass before inaction is rescinded but it was something like 180 days. Now, as to whether it would be beneficial for anyone to actually want to use the name or the various product designations, I'll leave it up to them.

G

GOSU1

Enthusiast
Here's something interesting that I found out while making some phone inquiries to the Colorado Secretary of State's office some time back. I'd been looking up information on AV451/Perpetual Technologies and searched their database. Various listings and within those listings were documents. It turned out that there were occasions when they didn't file certain reports on time. I was curious as to what the significance of that was so I called them. I was told the company is required to submit annual reports. Now, after a certain amount of time, if the annual report is not filed, the company loses the right to such things as their name - AV123. This means that anyone then can use that name and start a product line based on it within the state of Colorado. AFAIK, he never trademarked it with the USPTO. I forget the exact amount of time that has to pass before inaction is rescinded but it was something like 180 days. Now, as to whether it would be beneficial for anyone to actually want to use the name or the various product designations, I'll leave it up to them.
We will see Porsche come out with its new Hitler model before we will see an audio company use the AV123 name.

B

BWG707

Audioholic
Don't listen to these malcontents, brother. They're involved with the audio industry, somehow, and mean to do Schifty harm in order to further their own ends. My buddy Mark knows EXACTLY who they are and EXACTLY what they're doing, and, when the time is right, people far more powerful than he will do his speaking for him, and yea, verily unto the lord, there will be a reckoning, and all those who have strayed from the av123 flock will be brought back into the fold, or smote from afar, or some combination therof.
That's the old quote I keep thinking about since MLS's indictment. I wonder what ever happened to these "far more powerful people" who were going to name names. I thought this was hilarious when I first read it and it's even funnier now. Did he actually think a threat of that nature would scare anyone? He was probably just wishfully thinking that it might slow down the onslaught coming at him. What a SOB.

C

conrack

Enthusiast
Good Afternoon...

I have had to remain very quiet with respect to this thread and the general tone and tenor of some of comments made here...

Some might be wondering why - and the simple truth is this... I've turned over a TON of data to my Attorney with respect to this and other matters. I've been asked to be quiet and I've tried very hard to do so.

I know a lot of you have questions - and they will be answered... I also know that I am being targeted (some might say hunted) by several individuals all in the name of the truth - when in fact for a few of these folks the truth has little to do with what they are slinging, saying or otherwise putting forth. They are out to hurt me - hurt av123, and the latter I won't stand for...

Kyle knows a TON about this - and he feels pretty badly about some of the stuff being said because he knows the "inside story" about who these folks are... I'm going to have my say - but I'm going to do it in a proper and concise manner - leaving my talking to those better and more powerful than I.

Notwithstanding all of this - I made some very poor decisions that I now have to live with. I've spoken openly of this - and I hope that you'll all understand that until my Attorneys are done with their end of the matter - I simply cannot offer a bunch more... Maybe some of you won't understand this - and you might want simply to "move for more" from me at this moment... That's not going to happen - but count on this - I WILL have my say once I am allowed to... I owe that to all of you - to myself and the people close to me...

I apologize for the "quiet behaviour" - but that's the way it has to be... The fact finding that has been going on amazes me - and I'm sure that one day very soon those on the other side are going to find out how uncomfortable this kind of daily scrutiny can make ones life... I'm living it...

I've had a very rough day here - family members ill and injured - and I'm probably not nearly as diplomatic as I would like to be (or heard)... I'm aching and I'm tired...

Trust this - more will be said - and this time I (or those more powerful and more able) will be doing the talking... While I look forward to that moment and letting the cat out of the bag on many subjects - for now count me as simply unable to go further or watch others go further in my defense... This is still a business that is working hard to do the correct thing every day in all kinds of areas... and that will continue... Those thinking that I'm closing this out of censorship are purely and completely wrong - I'm closing this because I would like those near me to simply be able to do their tasks without distraction or delay... and frankly, this well engineered thread has surely served it's intended purpose...

Like I've said... more will surely be shared later - but only after my advisers, etc. have their say in their areas of interest.

Thank You...

Mark L. Schifter

Attachments

M

mziegler

Audioholic
Someone needs to be at the sentencing hearing and report back. I cannot even begin to fathom what he will say, if he says anything at all. Actually, I can imagine a few topics of conversation:

1. Health (with oxygen in tow?)
2. Desire to compensate

A few things that will not surprise me:

No jail time. Jail is expensive, and people who have done worse have not served time. If he is incarcerated, I hope it is a minumum security situation. Some people have expressed the desire to see him in the worst state prison, but he would only taking a place for someone who is actually violent

I find it hard to imagine he will have a happy retirement. He's probably broke. I have little doubt that these events will take years off his life (unless he is a complete sociopath). Justice is certainly being served here.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
It took me a while to recognize that post - it was the very last post in the "Open for interpretation" thread that I started at AV123 Forum on September 14, 2009. Mark made that post on September 24, just ten days later and about five months prior to his indictment. He subsequently locked the thread. I was permanently banned a day or two later and some time between October and mid-December, the thread was deleted from their forum.

Looking at it now, almost eleven months later, those words are all the more intriguing. Mark mentions Kyle and suggests he knew "tons" of inside information - I wonder what that information actually was? Had Kyle been fed (and accepted) a web of lies, or did Kyle know the facts? Ironically, the only personal attacks that I ever saw in that thread's ten days of carefully-worded life were from Kyle and directed at Chu Gai (who wasn't even involved in the thread) - after Kyle had spent a week warning us all not to start making personal attacks that would force him to close the thread. For that matter, the whole thread makes for an interesting read now...

droht

droht

Full Audioholic
Just cleaning out my PMs on avsforum and came across this gem: (it is part of a PM to me from mls on 11/6/09 after I apparently suggested that someone google "underfunded raffles" in an av123 thread, bastard that I am)

I know a lot of stuff about the people saying what they are about me - and to be sure it's not all that you think it is... I have spent a lot of time and energy on figuring out who is who - and the result is pretty stunning...

Meanwhile - while we do EVERYTHING in our power to serve in the midst of this - you chime in with "google underfunded raffles"... WHY - because you feel that it's your right to inflict hurt and pain... because YOU CAN...

When all of the truth comes out - I would pay dearly to see the look on your face... I have stayed quiet and given a ton of data to my attorneys that are dealing with this... I have stayed quiet because I am dearly and completely filled with sadness over my behaviour with respect to parts of this - and I have stayed quiet because I simply want to focus my energy on something positive...

I get beaten and kicked every day... web sites... comments... innuendo, and much of it not true... The parts that are true i am suffering for each day... My health is horrible - and the fact is I'm not sure what next year is going to bring for me... av123 will be fine - but I'm not even sure if I will have the strength to stay and do my best to help...

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Well droht, the truth is out. He's accepted a plea deal so rather than make him pay to see the look on your face for I know you are compassionate, send him a pic.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
It took me a while to recognize that post - it was the very last post in the "Open for interpretation" thread that I started at AV123 Forum on September 14, 2009. Mark made that post on September 24, just ten days later and about five months prior to his indictment. He subsequently locked the thread. I was permanently banned a day or two later and some time between October and mid-December, the thread was deleted from their forum.

Looking at it now, almost eleven months later, those words are all the more intriguing. Mark mentions Kyle and suggests he knew "tons" of inside information - I wonder what that information actually was? Had Kyle been fed (and accepted) a web of lies, or did Kyle know the facts? Ironically, the only personal attacks that I ever saw in that thread's ten days of carefully-worded life were from Kyle and directed at Chu Gai (who wasn't even involved in the thread) - after Kyle had spent a week warning us all not to start making personal attacks that would force him to close the thread. For that matter, the whole thread makes for an interesting read now...
Well, to be fair, I was calling him Field Marshall Steidle :D

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
In the post that conrack made, several folks weighed in on it. This was one of the longest.
And some thoughts ....

1. Mark has admitted that he "underfunded" some of the raffles. We don't know the exact amount. He has said, both publically, and privately, that he is working on getting them "whole".

Do I like that this happened ? No.

I have talked to Mark (telephone) about these issues - not specific numbers, but just basic concept. The only way that MLS can make these charities "whole" is by surviving in his business.

I hope, and pray, that MLS and company get through this and can make good on obligations, with the charities being first in line.

2. Do I think it is my place to judge Mark ? No.

Two years ago, I lost my little sister because a doctor could not be bothered to treat her properly. My older sister is a licensed nurse practicioner, and is will versed on what happened in this case.

I (actually, our entire family) had two choices ... forgive the doctor (who did apologize in a most profuse manner), or "go after him". We decided as a family to forgive him. No suit was filed, the only punishment he got was from himself and whatever the review board did in Alaska.

Judging people is easy. Helping people when things at the worst for those people is not.

3. What can Mark do now ?

All he can do IS survive, and then live up to his obligations.

Do I think MLS planned on all these things that have happened ? No. This does not help those who are waiting, and nothing can change this fact.

But there has been some follow through coming from him. Derek did get some money. Some products are getting delivered. Some things, Mark cannot discuss at this time, as he stated in his post. Perhaps there has been communication between Mark and the charities involved, with the understanding between all parties that this will remain private until all is settled. We don't know.

One must understand both sides of this. Mark's legal team has one set of rules for Mark, while the court of public opinion has another set of rules.

The simple truth is that the moneys are not there to solve each problem immediately. This will take time, and it will not be easy.

4. Finally - If anyone here thinks that the actions of everyone who is going after Mark are actions borne of altruism, he is quite mistaken.

It is unfortunate, but quite obvious, that there are many people who are down right happy over this entire ordeal. These same people are hiding this happiness behind a facade of "trying to help".

I only ask the each person here thinks carefully before posting ... "What is my real agenda, and is what I am posting going to help the situation, or am I just venting?"
BTW, I'm not so sure there ever was a legal team.

droht

droht

Full Audioholic
Well droht, the truth is out. He's accepted a plea deal so rather than make him pay to see the look on your face for I know you are compassionate, send him a pic.
I'll just post it here; I'm sure he's checking in...

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
I never posted in that thread having long since concluded that Mark was a con, but what I found fascinating is how well the guy could write yet say actually nothing of any substance. I think he would make a phenomenal negotiator for maybe a country like Iran.

As far as prison time, I actually think he will do a little, although I doubt if it will be anything substantial. My guess, out in 6months to a year on parole. Just a guess.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I never posted in that thread having long since concluded that Mark was a con, but what I found fascinating is how well the guy could write yet say actually nothing of any substance. I think he would make a phenomenal negotiator for maybe a country like Iran.

As far as prison time, I actually think he will do a little, although I doubt if it will be anything substantial. My guess, out in 6months to a year on parole. Just a guess.
He sure fooled people with degrees in psychology, neuroscience, and even psychics!

T

tonygeno

Junior Audioholic
There are actually people who make a very good living writing direct mail copy for legitimate charities aimed at getting people to donate their money to good causes. The likes of Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Memorial Sloan Kettering, and the American Red Cross (names sound familiar?) all raise lots of money through the mail that is put to good use. Mark could have used this gift (and believe me it is a gift) to do good, but instead, well we all know the story. When all is said and done I just can't understand it, which makes it all the sadder.

m-fine

m-fine

Audioholic
In the post that conrack made, several folks weighed in on it. This was one of the longest.
BTW, I'm not so sure there ever was a legal team.
That post is just oozing with koolaide. Mark delivered a lot of product after that thread, but the charities didn't get anything prior to the indictment. Given what we knew it was already clear that the fraud was not a mistake or due to an unfortunate cash shortage. It had been going on too long to not have been planned. The dates did not add up, and Mark's stories did not add up. Yet members of the community were still trying to help AV123 survive to keep making new victims. They got their wish for another 11 months.

I wonder how the guy who wrote that is sleeping at night. Do you think he feels any guilt about the Rocket II pre-order people losing it all? Somehow I doubt it. He probably thinks MLS and Chu were the bad guys, mostly Chu, and people like Kyle and himself were trying to help.

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
There are actually people who make a very good living writing direct mail copy for legitimate charities aimed at getting people to donate their money to good causes. The likes of Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Memorial Sloan Kettering, and the American Red Cross (names sound familiar?) all raise lots of money through the mail that is put to good use. Mark could have used this gift (and believe me it is a gift) to do good, but instead, well we all know the story. When all is said and done I just can't understand it, which makes it all the sadder.
You are right about that but he is not unique. Many people work harder at conning people than they do playing it straight and many are quite talented and could do well just being honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis