UPDATED: Mark L. Schifter, PLEADS GUILTY to suspicion of charity fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I hate to say this as I cant believe it but......

I was contacted last night by someone who had put money down on....... G2!!!

I an not going to share anymore details, but I did direct him to Chu's post on contacting the Colorados AGO

You got to love it!!!
Wow! Wow! It just goes to show, the unethical behavour over at AV123 went beyond the shenanigans of the president of the company.

Matt34

Matt34

I an not going to share anymore details, but I did direct him to Chu's post on contacting the Colorados AGO

You got to love it!!!
Was it av123 forum member:

+

H

Hugh-Melody

Audioholic
WTH?

Seriously?

You got to love it!!!

K

kendrid

Audiophyte
I wonder if it was that guy who sold his Strata Minis to get the G2's? If it was him, I hope the Kool-Aid was good - and NO, I don't feel sorry for him.
I think you are referring to a guy I tried to stop from going through with the purchase of the Voltas. His plan was to order the Voltas and ELTs to use until the Voltas showed up. I PMed him the details of what was going on, this thread, etc and he said "thanks" and as far as I know went ahead anyway (he did sell his Minis). Since he knew what was going on I don't feel very bad for him. The writing was on the wall and he decided to ignore it.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
I'd forgotten about the Voltas - another name to add to the final tally of vaporware products.

S

SlushPuppy

Audioholic Intern
I think you are referring to a guy I tried to stop from going through with the purchase of the Voltas. His plan was to order the Voltas and ELTs to use until the Voltas showed up. I PMed him the details of what was going on, this thread, etc and he said "thanks" and as far as I know went ahead anyway (he did sell his Minis). Since he knew what was going on I don't feel very bad for him. The writing was on the wall and he decided to ignore it.
That's right, I forgot about the Voltas..... I remember his post about selling his Minis. I thought it was a joke until I saw he sold them. I wonder if he "pre-ordered" them?

K

kendrid

Audiophyte
The Volta (fresh out of google cache for future reference):

04-13-10, 05:05 PM
Introducing The Rocket Volta

A worthy successor to our famed Strata Mini – the Rocket Volta IS our “next step”.

The Volta uses two 7” brand new aluminum cone woofers coupled to their own 350 watt amplifier that has been specifically designed to Drive – Protect and Deliver incredible and unexpected low end. The marriage of THIS amp to THESE drivers delivers incredible bass response – and seamlessly hands off to the new BG NEO:10 Midrange Panel.

Above the new BG NEO:10 you’ll find the BG NEO:3 tweeter. These two drivers work in incredible harmony to produce a flawless 500Hz to 25kHz open window on the world. Octave to octave – you’ll be amazed at how these two Planar Magnetic drivers integrate – and how beautifully they marry to the powered – twin 7” Balanced Drive Woofers.

Under 42 inches in total height – this system can easily work in 2-channel as well as Home Theatre applications – together with the planned Center and Surrounds that are on the way.

Easy on the eye – and super easy on the pocketbook, we KNOW that the new Rocket Volta will be a product that will amaze in every conceivable way. This is our Next Generation answer to the wonderful and universally loved Strata Mini…

Price and finish details to follow.

Thank you,

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
The Volta (fresh out of google cache for future reference):
I must have stopped posting over at VA321 by then. I don't remember those at all. When did they come out (or when were they anounced?)

Jed M

Jed M

Full Audioholic
You know, looking back on this whole debacle the only amusing thing to come out of it was the hilarity that was TADG. The Audio Design Groupe will go down as one of the most unintended hilarious companies in the history of audio. The whole idea behind it was just bat shite crazy. Well, that and Anita Koch was also an amusing side show of the ugliness that is/was AV123.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
I must have stopped posting over at VA321 by then. I don't remember those at all. When did they come out (or when were they anounced?)
They were announced back in the spring. They never came out. I don't know if they ever even had a price associated with them. There may have been some computer renderings - I don't recall anymore.

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
Does anyone know when the RSC500 or RSC800 will come out? ;)

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
May be I should name our next ACA speaker as Volta? :)
I don't know, but please offer some finishes other than "Rocket" Rosewood. The speakers I heard at Kevin's sounded great, but the cabinets need a little flair or some design change, maybe turning them into a not so deep floor standing speaker?

majorloser

majorloser

This thread is starting to run way off course like that other thread on AV123.

Let's keep this "on topic" with the court case against Mark Schifter.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
Good point. And speaking of the other (locked) thread, I wonder if it would be worthwhile for one of the mods to add a post at the end of that thread with an update? Something to the effect of "AV123 has closed down as of August 16, 2010; Mark Schifter has plead guilty to two felony charges as part of a plea agreement as of August 13, 2010; Mark will be sentenced in October; and the original poster never got his refund."

S

skeeter99

Junior Audioholic
That is one reason why I have been trying to find a lower cost amp to work. I have the Turbo kit that is a pretty killer UPGRADE, but I am now working on finding a lower cost replacement for those just wanting to get their subs back up and running.

All the updates will first hit on my section of seatons formum here

Kevin

Kevin,

That would be great! I've had zero issues with my dials but if I ever did it would be nice to have a stock replacement.

Scott

Harmon

Audioholic Intern
As was stated earlier, MLS plead guilty to two felony charges. The judge in the matter will decide, based on any arguments advanced by both prosecution and defense, what the sentencing will be. At this moment in time, it is entirely unknown which way the pendulum will swing. What can be said with certainty is that restitution plus any other fees and fines are guaranteed. MLS, having posted bail earlier after deciding that the Boulder County Jail and relaxation center didn't meet his sense of accommodations, remains free if you will. I don't know if he's staying at home in the loving arms of his wife, with Ms. Khabarvski, bunking with Kyle, or somewhere else. But he's not incarcerated at this time.

Victim Impact Statements will be provided to the judge and will be a factor in whatever sentence is meted out. So, folks, if you were a victim, and didn't file one do so. Time is wasting. If you need to know how to do it, please go here:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=713259&postcount=4170

At the end of the trial, it will be possible to obtain court transcripts. If I get a hold of them, I'll post them here. Lastly, it cannot be confirmed nor denied that person(s) were offered immunity from prosecution. In the words of Mr. Gump, "And that's all I have to say about that."

PS: I have it on good authority, that Anita Koch will have an interview in the very near future.
Assuming this is accurate this is what's called a "blind plea" where there is no agreement on the sentence between the prosecution and the defendant. This one is not totally "blind" because it's apparant that it was partially negotiated since some charges were dismissed in return for the guilty plea on the two counts. This is not unusual. Also, in return for the guilty plea sometimes the prosecution agrees to cap themselves on what sentence they will request.

The one slight inaccuracy I noted is that there won't be a "trial". There will be a sentencing hearing. In some jurisdictions sentencing hearings are usually taken down by a court reporter and in some they are usually not. Either side can have a court reporter if they request one. Even if a court reporter records the proceedings, it won't be transcribed unless someone orders and pays for the transcript. This costs a few dollars per page and is typically only done if someone appeals the judges ruling.

There should be forms filled out by the attorneys, defendant, and judge as part of the guilty plea that detail the terms. If there is an agreement as to what the prosecution is going to ask for at sentencing, this should be (but is not always) reflected in the plea paperwork. This paperwork is filed with the court clerk's office and should be available from them for a nominal copying fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis