UPDATED: Mark L. Schifter, PLEADS GUILTY to suspicion of charity fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
Interestingly, AV123 is still taking orders! I wonder if/when the retail operation will get shut down.
I hope not. I'm sure there are some innocent people within the company caught in a tough situation. Besides, I still have some things under warranty, just barely now. But even if not, it would be nice to get a replacement part if need be. In all my dealings with them, I never had a bad experience. It was always excellent. It was only after all this came out a while back that I backed away from future purchases. It is truely sad. :(

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Not a chance in hell. The raffle thefts started in 2004 and even when the forum came back up, he was talking about raffles for the LS-4's. He has been screwing suppliers from day 1 for hundreds of thousands of dollars up to a million. He's gotten people to invest heavily (5 to 6 figures) and not paid them.
He is successful in the same way Bernie Madoff was successful. I wish Schifter and his family justice and if justice means they're out on the streets, then that's fine. They'll get a chance to meet the other folks who've had their brush with enormous financial hardship.
A lot of folks get things together in prison. Not all, but some. No one is perfect and greed is very easy to fall into.

J

jongaro

Junior Audioholic
karma is a *****

I'm glad I got my money back, but I am utterly shocked and saddened that so many were robbed, and not just the charities.

It might be worth boycotting all those websites that refused to allow those of us who were being screwed by MLS to post our grievances. AVS comes to mind.

I really do hope MLS gets prison time because I am sure there are a lot of people from the past who were taken and never saw justice. Maybe he could share a cell with Bernie.

Maybe we will see better honesty/transparency with audio websites when customers are really unhappy

:(

S

Slee_Stack

Junior Audioholic
Shocker for me. I had ordered a number of products 4+ years ago. I was always treated well and thought I received good value for my money.

He really seemed to be a 'champion' for quality, affordable hi-fi. Sad. :(

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
Isaberian

I completely agree with your #6 post. I do hope things work out for Mark and company. Of course, that does mean that justice is served until met but let us not forget mercy. We all need that.

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
fredk & Chu Gai

fredk #11

Depends what you call sucessfull I guess. A lot of people are out product or money because of him. As the article mentioned "tip of the iceberg".
Mark Schifter created a business modeled after finding an affordable place to build his prodcts (I do believe he started in Hong Kong and is currently in South America), communicating enthusiastically with his customers, building top-qalty products and selling them at a high bargain price, and working countless hours to ensure his business was successful. That IS a top-notch and winning business model.

Ironically Mark has shown that he can also run a successful scam (for a limited time only). But I distinguish his scamming from his business model.

Chu Gai #13

He is successful in the same way Bernie Madoff was successful. I wish Schifter and his family justice and if justice means they're out on the streets, then that's fine. They'll get a chance to meet the other folks who've had their brush with enormous financial hardship.
I too desire justice be fulfille including losing everthing he has...I guess. But I also desire the best for him. My guess is that with his character, even if he loses all he has, he'll rebuild quicker than most. He's just gotta stay honest about his endeavors.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Schifter is a tool for doing this. I am glad I don't own any of his products any more.

What a douche! :mad:

A

audiodoc

Audiophyte
Mark Shifter

Mr. Schifter offered quality products at a very affordable price. While this news of indictment is disheartening and troubling, recall that indictment does not = proof of guilt. We need to see what develops and not rush to judgment or conclusions. I do not know Mr. Schifter but I have read about his products by enthusiasts and have owned two items his company sold.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

NicolasKL

Full Audioholic
Mr. Schifter offered quality products at a very affordable price. While this news of indictment is disheartening and troubling, recall that indictment does not = proof of guilt. We need to see what develops and not rush to judgment or conclusions. I do not know Mr. Schifter but I have read about his products by enthusiasts and have owned two items his company sold.
Indictment doesn't equal proof of guilt, but when one of the things you're being indicted for is something that you appear to have already admitted to ("underfunding" two raffles), and one of the other things you've been indicted for (running raffles without permits, running raffles when you can't legally do so since you're not a non-profit) is self evident, is there really a need for the public to presume his innocence?

There's no rushing to judgment or conclusions here, most people have been watching this play out in slow motion for months. The indictment just confirmed everything. And think for a moment about that indictment. In order for the charity fraud to have been committed there's really only two things that have to be proven. Did MLS accept the donations? We all know the answer is yes. Did MLS forward the donations to the appropriate charities? How difficult is that for the Longmont detective to check? Doesn't seem very tough to me. Seems like an open and shut case. If those two things are true there's no explanation I can think of that let's MLS off the hook, morally or legally.

M

myaudiocd

Enthusiast
I think 2 separate trials and convictions are muddying the water for everyone.
Sure, the indictment from the authorities needs to be formally proven in a court of law before it's a conviction. These formal charges, though, just underscore what was already evident.
The second series of charges have been swirling about for a long time now. And unless you believe there's a horde of conspirators-Hugh, Uncle Paul, Jed, etc. and all those owed and promised money or refunds- all aligned in a league of nefarious lies, the court of public opinion has heard enough evidence for many individuals to make a tough decision. Sure, it's not as felonious a conviction, but it's a moral one, on a personal and community scale. It might not have broken laws but it was a violation against a trusting community. And many- most I'd say- in that community are supremely pissed.
And it's not like mls didn't have opportunity to clear his name and set things right and make amends. He had plenty. He just chose not to.

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
While this news of indictment is disheartening and troubling, recall that indictment does not = proof of guilt. We need to see what develops and not rush to judgment or conclusions.
You can do whatever you want, but I'm not a court of law. I can objectively look at facts and make up my own mind without waiting for a Judge and Jury.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
You can do whatever you want, but I'm not a court of law. I can objectively look at facts and make up my own mind without waiting for a Judge and Jury.
THANK YOU FOR THIS!!! i have no idea what has happened to common sense in this country anymore. and i also don't get the logic of people saying "well i like his speakers so i will defend him". he stole from charities for god's sakes. i don't "wish the best for him". i wish the worst for him.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I'm glad I got my money back, but I am utterly shocked and saddened that so many were robbed, and not just the charities.

It might be worth boycotting all those websites that refused to allow those of us who were being screwed by MLS to post our grievances. AVS comes to mind.

I really do hope MLS gets prison time because I am sure there are a lot of people from the past who were taken and never saw justice. Maybe he could share a cell with Bernie.

Maybe we will see better honesty/transparency with audio websites when customers are really unhappy

:(
For the sake of putting it all down in one place, if you have the time and are of the mind to, could you tell the story of what happened to you including your contacts with the authorities and the resolution? Thanks and good job for being proactive.

B

BWG707

Audioholic
Wake up and smell the coffee!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis