UPDATED: Mark L. Schifter, PLEADS GUILTY to suspicion of charity fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Tick-Tock, the end of July is near.
It doesn't matter. You can still buy Rocket t-shirt for $15 marked down all the way from $75. What terrific value! :rolleyes:

They must be still relying on the "Anchoring Effect". Many have complained over the years about their inflated MSRP and yesterday there was an interesting link posted about this. I never put much thought into it other than deceptive practices but there is a actual term for this. Nobody used this to their advantage more in this industry than VA321.

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/07/27/anchoring-effect/

Last edited by a moderator:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I don't ever wish for time to fly by because it goes fast enough as it is. However, I'm eagerly awaiting this date - less than 48 hours to go.
woooooow :confused:

Where was the summer.... soon August.....
Over here we have a saying..... beware to close your eyes for too long, you may miss the summer.... Unfortunately I did, so I missed the 15 seconds of summer that we had :eek:

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
It doesn't matter. You can still buy Rocket t-shirt for $15 marked down all the way from $75. What terrific value! :rolleyes:
I see they're also selling off the director's chairs. I wonder if those items were used in their listening room that they apparently had inside the warehouse? I guess if the director's chairs are sold off, they probably don't want you hanging around the listening room listening to speakers. But, hey, if they don't have any speakers to sell, then they don't have any to listen to either.

kickerofelves

kickerofelves

Enthusiast
Years :)() ago, Brucer from the av123 took $2,000 of my money and never delivered what I paid him for...

Just out of curiosity was there ever postscript to this story or did he just disappear?

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
Just out of curiosity was there ever postscript to this story or did he just disappear?
He just disappeared. I believe, someone who lived in Texas drove by his shop - and, it was all closed up. Probably, the last person to talk with him was Sevenfeet over at VA321, because Brucer built his kitchen cabinets and then installed them ... several months late.

M

mhawker

Audioholic
He disappeared. Someone did indeed drive by his office at one point and his car was parked out front. This was some time ago.

Another example of someone with exceptional talent but lousy business practices.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I think Brucer's real name was Bruce May and lived in Texas. He was an active member and even president of various woodturning groups. Note that http://www.wntx.org/about.html lists him as a past president of their organization. Clicking that link will give you their current board members along with their home phone numbers. Maybe one of them knows the whereabouts of Bruce and can provide contact information. It does appear that he was skilled but he was also a douchebag and thief. If he's not dead, I hope he's rotting.

droht

droht

Full Audioholic
Maybe brucer could build a special wooden cell, rosewood, of course.

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
Maybe brucer could build a special wooden cell, rosewood, of course.
At who's expense? I think since the taxpayers will be picking up the tab, the good old existing iron and steel will do just fine. Of course, a nice slot on the door so they can slide the food tray through would be fine ... and, one of the only options available. :p

Edit: Since today is 7/30/2010 - and we presume Mark has gone to court, does that mean the thread "Do Not Buy from AV123" will get reopened?

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
They may be waiting for the next court date, since the case was carried over to one day in August.

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
Has anyone else noticed all the continuances are 2-3 weeks long? It looks like the D/A still hasn't caught on to MLS's schtick. "Oh, I don't have the money quite yet, but in a few weeks, I'll have it. Can I have a contiuance?"

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
Has anyone else noticed all the continuances are 2-3 weeks long? It looks like the D/A still hasn't caught on to MLS's schtick. "Oh, I don't have the money quite yet, but in a few weeks, I'll have it. Can I have a contiuance?"
Yeah. Hopefully, the fines get larger with each week that passes. I'm not worried though, I'm sure he's stressing enough at this point. Who wouldn't? Going from the life of elegance - living off of PayPal donations to eating ramen? That's got to hurt.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Ramen? If your lucky. From watching a few prison shows, they mentioned Ramen noodles. If you can get such luxury's in prison, you usually have status or considered a "shot-caller".

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
Ramen? If your lucky. From watching a few prison shows, they mentioned Ramen noodles. If you can get such luxury's in prison, you usually have status or considered a "shot-caller".
I meant that he's probably eating ramen now at home. Gone are the thick steaks, roulades and all the other good food he probably used to eat.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I meant that he's probably eating ramen now at home. Gone are the thick steaks, roulades and all the other good food he probably used to eat.
Gone are all the good ol' days of having hand squeezed juice for breakfast in Colombia that's for sure.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I think Brucer's real name was Bruce May and lived in Texas. He was an active member and even president of various woodturning groups. Note that http://www.wntx.org/about.html lists him as a past president of their organization. Clicking that link will give you their current board members along with their home phone numbers. Maybe one of them knows the whereabouts of Bruce and can provide contact information. It does appear that he was skilled but he was also a douchebag and thief. If he's not dead, I hope he's rotting.
You're not talking about Bruce Wayne, no? :p

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic

So, you're saying we may be able to send Ramen to a Colorado penitentiary and get VA451 credit in exchange?

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
So, you're saying we may be able to send Ramen to a Colorado penitentiary and get VA451 credit in exchange?
Assuming he goes to prison, you should be able to contact the administrator of the facility to determine what he can receive without it being confiscated. After all, this ain't like Goodfellas.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
The barter system I'm sure is very effective.

If the warden allow such items then family members/visitors can bring them or if they are available at the canteen, then you can buy such luxuries. The problem with buying items is you need money. If you are very lucky, family or friends send money. Some inmates resort to the contraband trade (drugs, tobacco etc) and that is how they generate income and build status within the prison. Here are an example of some gourmet recipes at the inmate get togethers.

http://www.squidoo.com/prisongourmetcooking

Prison Lingo Quiz: What is the translation of these words?

1) Hooch
2) Shank
3) Suitcase :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis