"Unique 'Hollow-Oval' Geometry

W

Wildings

Audioholic
Here is some fodder for you EE's and other Flat Earthers. From an ad in Audio Advisor. 6ft $561.
"Cables by Analysis Plus. Unique Hollow Oval Geometry. Analysis Plus product engineer Mark Markel determined that round cable used in conventional speaker cable designs exhibits current bunching, skin effects, and other frequency characteristics that degrade signal quality. After many computer simulations, he found that a hollow oval cable was the best design. It maintains a low resistance value, even at 20kHz, where the resistance of the round cable has increased dramatically. Etc etc." May I take your orders?

W

Wildings

Audioholic
Here is some fodder for you EE's and other Flat Earthers. From an ad in Audio Advisor. 6ft $561.
"Cables by Analysis Plus. Unique Hollow Oval Geometry. Analysis Plus product engineer Mark Markel determined that round cable used in conventional speaker cable designs exhibits current bunching, skin effects, and other frequency characteristics that degrade signal quality. After many computer simulations, he found that a hollow oval cable was the best design. It maintains a low resistance value, even at 20kHz, where the resistance of the round cable has increased dramatically. Etc etc." May I take your orders?
By the way, the term Flat Earthers was one I just heard used by a cable salesman to refer to non-believers when I was asking questions.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
By the way, the term Flat Earthers was one I just heard used by a cable salesman to refer to non-believers when I was asking questions.
How are you going to place Flat-Earthers and EEs in the same category, pretty much exact opposite ends of the spectrum. What does make sense is to put the flat earthers and the cable snake oil vendors in the same category.

Again, more pseudo-science. Designed to trick you with technical jargon that you don't understand.

FACT: Resistance is NOT FREQUENCY DEPENDENT! (by definition)

Resistance for a wire is only dependent on the length of the wire and the effective cross-sectional surface area.

Capacitance, Inductance, Impedance, are all frequency dependent. Resistance is NOT frequency dependent.

W

Wildings

Audioholic
The term Flat Earthers was associated with EE's because of their perspective that something which cannot be measured cannot exist. The cable salesman used it, not I. I will attempt to show that a subjective impression can be duplicated, but will probably be dismissed re control and scientific method not satisfactory. (I am waiting for headphone cable back from repair....I submit that I will be able to tell silver from stock Audeze).

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The term Flat Earthers was associated with EE's because of their perspective that something which cannot be measured cannot exist. The cable salesman used it, not I. I will attempt to show that a subjective impression can be duplicated, but will probably be dismissed re control and scientific method not satisfactory. (I am waiting for headphone cable back from repair....I submit that I will be able to tell silver from stock Audeze).
Your salesperson is stupid, as usual. Earth curvature could be easily measured with a few basic tools and any engineer worth his/her salt would know how to.
https://www.astro.princeton.edu/~dns/teachersguide/MeasECAct.html

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If you want to use that definition, have a flat-earther explain why surveyors don't place the stick more than 300' from the transit or level. This doesn't apply to GPS surveying equipment, only optical.

W

Wildings

Audioholic
If you want to use that definition, have a flat-earther explain why surveyors don't place the stick more than 300' from the transit or level. This doesn't apply to GPS surveying equipment, only optical.
I think it is used as a figure of speech related to the visible or demonstrable vs something believed. IE if it cant be scientifically proven, it must not exist.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
The term Flat Earthers was associated with EE's because of their perspective that something which cannot be measured cannot exist. The cable salesman used it, not I...............................................................
That's because the salesman wants to keep reality out of his sales situations.

highfigh

highfigh

I think it is used as a figure of speech related to the visible or demonstrable vs something believed. IE if it cant be scientifically proven, it must not exist.
All of this 'Cables from the land of make believe' is why I have come to hate the audio industry. It opened the door to marketing departments making unbelievable claims that can only be heard when the listener has been told what they would hear.

If it sounds good/great, buy it. If it doesn't sound different or better when compared to something else and it costs more, don't bother.

I went to the local high end shop and when I arrived, one of the owners was playing music through a pair of speakers that were going to be demo'd later that day. I had listened to a more expensive model from Sonus Faber and I prefer them to the slightly smaller ones, but they sounded good. I have to say that I don't think I would pay the price for the system, though. Not just because it includes AudioQuest cables, it just didn't blow me away the way it would need to in order for me to buy it for the low, low, price of >$50K.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Spoken by a non-scientist, certainly.

2 Words: Dark Matter

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Should point out that high power, high frequency radio & TV transmitters use hollow tubes (sometimes filled with cooling water) rather than wires. Because at those frequencies all the current flows near the surface.

With these speaker cables and many other audiophile products, they take engineering knowledge way out of context and mis-apply it.

W

Wildings

Audioholic
All of this 'Cables from the land of make believe' is why I have come to hate the audio industry. It opened the door to marketing departments making unbelievable claims that can only be heard when the listener has been told what they would hear.

If it sounds good/great, buy it. If it doesn't sound different or better when compared to something else and it costs more, don't bother.

I went to the local high end shop and when I arrived, one of the owners was playing music through a pair of speakers that were going to be demo'd later that day. I had listened to a more expensive model from Sonus Faber and I prefer them to the slightly smaller ones, but they sounded good. I have to say that I don't think I would pay the price for the system, though. Not just because it includes AudioQuest cables, it just didn't blow me away the way it would need to in order for me to buy it for the low, low, price of >$50K.
It seems 50k doesnt go all that far these days.. but them proportionally goo

Well, 50k doesn't go real far these days....my folks spent way less than that on our home in 1940. But good Mcintosh gear was proportionally costly in 60's. Wish I had saved some, cars too!

highfigh

highfigh

It seems 50k doesnt go all that far these days.. but them proportionally goo

Well, 50k doesn't go real far these days....my folks spent way less than that on our home in 1940. But good Mcintosh gear was proportionally costly in 60's. Wish I had saved some, cars too!
$50K is a lot for a simple stereo system- preamp, power amp, speakers, cables from pre-to-power amp, one source (Aurender server) and one interconnect.

I worked at a music store before I got into consumer audio- one guitar that we had sold less than ten years ago for $400K and we had a lot of others that would sell for close to that, now. I don't think anyone actually knew the prices would go so high, but I know some who never made a lot of money, but bought a lot of instruments when they were cheap (like $200 for a vintage Les Paul, Strat or Tele). I had a pair of EV 30W woofers and I really wish I could have gotten them into my house, but they just wouldn't go through the doors and up/down the stairs. They sell for $2500 each, now. I did OK on my guitar amps and guitars- haven't sold them yet, but I'm considering it,

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Should point out that high power, high frequency radio & TV transmitters use hollow tubes (sometimes filled with cooling water) rather than wires. Because at those frequencies all the current flows near the surface.

With these speaker cables and many other audiophile products, they take engineering knowledge way out of context and mis-apply it.
RF generator coils on Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Specs (ICPMS) have this exact arrangement (RF coil is hollow and also has cooling water running through it).

In that application, there is also a platinum shield inside the RF coil, and there is RF matching circuitry to avoid the reflected RF power from making the circuit unstable and extinguishing the plasma.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

.... I will attempt to show that a subjective impression can be duplicated, but will probably be dismissed re control and scientific method not satisfactory. (I am waiting for headphone cable back from repair....I submit that I will be able to tell silver from stock Audeze).
I forgot to ask in your other posts, are these cables detachable from the headphones so you can keep the headphone on and just swap the repaired cables with another type of cable?
Of course you will know which cable you are listening at any time, right?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis