"Unique 'Hollow-Oval' Geometry

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Your salesperson is stupid, as usual. Earth curvature could be easily measured with a few basic tools and any engineer worth his/her salt would know how to.
https://www.astro.princeton.edu/~dns/teachersguide/MeasECAct.html
We are talking about flat earther but I just read an article in Skeptical Inquirer that a PhD was almost awarded on the basis of a thesis on support for Geocentric Flat Earth. While this was in Tunisia, this wasn't a fly by night university.

W

Wildings

Audioholic
I forgot to ask in your other posts, are these cables detachable from the headphones so you can keep the headphone on and just swap the repaired cables with another type of cable?
Of course you will know which cable you are listening at any time, right?
Yes they are detachable....I was thinking I would have my wife switch them with headphones removed, and listen leaning forward so I never come in contact with them. Listen to the same song. I would also have her change out old Monster RCA's that go from DAC to headphone amp with new interconnects, as a different test. Uncertain about that outcome.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Here is some fodder for you EE's and other Flat Earthers. From an ad in Audio Advisor. 6ft $561.
"Cables by Analysis Plus. Unique Hollow Oval Geometry. Analysis Plus product engineer Mark Markel determined that round cable used in conventional speaker cable designs exhibits current bunching, skin effects, and other frequency characteristics that degrade signal quality. After many computer simulations, he found that a hollow oval cable was the best design. It maintains a low resistance value, even at 20kHz, where the resistance of the round cable has increased dramatically. Etc etc." May I take your orders?
I have talked to that company engineers in the past if they have evidence from DBT listening tests to support any of their claims.
Their response, read the customers review.
So, they have no evidence for audibility differences!

highfigh

highfigh

I have talked to that company engineers in the past if they have evidence from DBT listening tests to support any of their claims.
Their response, read the customers review.
So, they have no evidence for audibility differences!
Show them this statement and see if they look at you as if you have three heads-

"AudioQuest’s founder and chief designer, William Low, explains the Dielectric-Bias System: “DBS puts all of a cable’s dielectric into a comparatively high voltage DC field ... continuously from the time the cable is terminated. The exceptionally simple design uses a wire down the middle of the cable, which is simply an extension of a battery’s anode. This wire is attached to negative (-) of a DBS battery pack, and nothing else. It is not in the signal path and has no interaction with the signal. Depending on the model of interconnect (analog or digital) or speaker cable, an existing foil “shield” is used as the DBS anode by connecting it to positive (+) of the DBS battery pack. The negative side of a battery is nothing; it’s just an empty reservoir. Again, there is no interaction with signal flow and no extra connections are introduced into the signal path.”

The link below is the source- if the wire is not completing a circuit and the battery - terminal is doing nothing, THERE'S NO CURRENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DC Bias voltage/current needs a terminus- without it, it's just potential energy. I really hate to see companies and dealers that trowel out BS like what AQ peddles- $1250 for a 6' HDMI cable is insane!

https://www.audioquest.com/content/aq/pdf/DBS.pdf

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL Bill Low as designer (or pedigreed in anything electronics)...more like chief salesman.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
"AudioQuest’s founder and chief designer, William Low, explains the Dielectric-Bias System: “DBS puts all of a cable’s dielectric into a comparatively high voltage DC field ... continuously from the time the cable is terminated.

I wonder just how high a DC voltage? While almost all coax cables are rated at 300V, some are rated 1000 to 1500V and a few at 2500V. And all those rating have huge safety margins. I don't think the dielectric in most cables will even notice those little bias supplies.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
"AudioQuest’s founder and chief designer, William Low, explains the Dielectric-Bias System: “DBS puts all of a cable’s dielectric into a comparatively high voltage DC field ... continuously from the time the cable is terminated.

I wonder just how high a DC voltage? While almost all coax cables are rated at 300V, some are rated 1000 to 1500V and a few at 2500V. And all those rating have huge safety margins. I don't think the dielectric in most cables will even notice those little bias supplies.
"DC Field" is a bit of an awkward term. How about "electrostatic charge", that is the more common term for such a field.

Not nearly as exciting, methinks

highfigh

highfigh

They offer cables with 48VDC and 72VDC versions, using the same 12A batteries in automotive keyless entry systems and garage door remotes. In a little box with a switch and LED- the switch is to show the battery condition.

If the circuit isn't, well, a 'circuit', the batteries should last a very long time, so I guess it makes that part a good value if battery life is a consideration. My point- the battery + contacts the foil but the battery - isn't involved. EXACTLY, what does this do for the cable and signal? How is it worth the high price?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I think POS is more appropriate.
Yup.

It's just one of those items like I've been saying, these charlatans have to throw in some technical jargon to trick the uneducated.

Clearly this nonsense is a complete sham, scam, ripoff, and these guys are laughing all the way to the bank.

Why would any educated technical person call it a "DC field", when the more common term is an "electrostatic charge"?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Here is some fodder for you EE's and other Flat Earthers. From an ad in Audio Advisor. 6ft $561.
"Cables by Analysis Plus. Unique Hollow Oval Geometry. Analysis Plus product engineer Mark Markel determined that round cable used in conventional speaker cable designs exhibits current bunching, skin effects, and other frequency characteristics that degrade signal quality. After many computer simulations, he found that a hollow oval cable was the best design. It maintains a low resistance value, even at 20kHz, where the resistance of the round cable has increased dramatically. Etc etc." May I take your orders?
This statement is gobbledy gook. It displays both ignorance and cynicism.

Ignorance – they don't seem to understand the differences among resistance, inductance and capacitance in cables carrying AC signals. Inductance and capacitance vary with the frequency, but resistance is the same at any frequency. That ignorance alone is enough to make me not believe anything else they say.

Cynicism – they believe potential buyers would fall for such misinformed technobabble. As you seem to do.

They claim to fix "characteristics that degrade signal quality" without ever demonstrating that the degraded signal quality actually exists in round cable, and without demonstrating that fixing it, if it exists at all, can have an audible effect. They avoid claiming an audible effect because they have no evidence for it. They clearly know that such a claim – without evidence – might be called false advertising by the Federal Trade Commission.
By the way, the term Flat Earthers was one I just heard used by a cable salesman to refer to non-believers when I was asking questions.
You heard that from a cable salesman? Ask that salesman what the mark-up is on the cables he's trying to sell you. I'd bet it's much higher than the mark-up for any electronic gear or speaker he might be selling.

In the argument about whether cables make a difference in audio, there are objectivists and subjectivists. The objectivists require evidence before they believe a claim. The subjectivists believe faith is enough. A Flat Earther, in the past, rejected faith and believed the emerging evidence for a spherical planet. Today a Flat Earther is someone who rejects abundant evidence for a spherical planet.

Calling someone a Flat Earther, when they require evidence instead of faith, is getting it backwards. It comes across as a direct insult. I think you're well aware of that.

Last edited:
Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
What I don't understand is, why are audiophiles so quick to buy into nonsense like this? If a manufacture offers a sell engineered, well built and correctly prices product, there is little audiophile interest, but offer a product like this and they get excited.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
This statement is gobbeldy gook. It displays both ignorance and cynicism.

Ignorance – that they don't seem to understand the different behaviors of resistance, inductance and capacitance in cables carrying AC signals. Inductance and capacitance vary with the frequency, but resistance is the same regardless of frequency. That ignorance alone is enough to make me not believe anything else they say.

Cynicism – that the believe potential buyers would fall for such misinformed technobabble. As you seem to do.

They claim to fix "characteristics that degrade signal quality" without ever demonstrating that the degraded signal quality actually exists in round cable, and without demonstrating that fixing it, if it exists at all, can have an audible effect. They avoid claiming an audible effect because they have no evidence for it. They clearly know that such a claim – without evidence – might get the attention of the Federal Trade Commission as false advertising.
You heard that from a cable salesman? Ask that salesman what the mark-up is on the cables he's trying to sell you. I'd bet it's much higher than the mark-up for any electronic gear or speaker he might be selling.

In the argument about whether cables make a difference in audio, there are objectivists and subjectivists. The objectivists require evidence before they believe a claim. The subjectivists require faith instead of evidence. A Flat Earther, in the past, rejected faith and believe the emerging evidence for a sperical planet. Today a Flat Earther is someone who rejects abundant evidence for a spherical planet.

Calling someone a Flat Earther when they require evidence instead of faith is getting it backwards. It's meant as a direct insult. I think you're well aware of that.
What exactly is "current bunching"???

Never heard of that one, mighty suspicious. To me, "current bunching" seems a lot like "inductance".

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
What I don't understand is, why are audiophiles so quick to buy into nonsense like this? If a manufacture offers a sell engineered, well built and correctly prices product, there is little audiophile interest, but offer a product like this and they get excited.
Why do people pay psychics and mediums?

It's really no different.

W

Wildings

Audioholic
Meh, Cables and Wire....
I think I will call the cable guy and ask him what the break in period is for my new interconnect. It seems to be a concept held by some. Its not possible, is it?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I think I will call the cable guy and ask him what the break in period is for my new interconnect. It seems to be a concept held by some. Its not possible, is it?
Not even remotely possible. Have you actually reviewed any of the technical links that I have posted?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_band_structure

Even a rudimentary understanding of band theory should make it clear as to why cables don't "break in".

And, while you are talking to him, ask him how much profit he makes when he makes a sell of one of these magic cables o_O

Ask your cable guy about his knowledge on band theory. Show him those intimidating calculations.....those calculations are rudimentary for any scientist (maybe not trivial, but rudimentary).

Last edited:
W

Wildings

Audioholic
Not even remotely possible. Have you actually reviewed any of the technical links that I have posted?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_band_structure

Even a rudimentary understanding of band theory should make it clear as to why cables don't "break in".

And, while you are talking to him, ask him how much profit he makes when he makes a sell of one of these magic cables o_O
Thank you. One more related and probably more complex question....does my solid state gear benefit from a warm up period, or is it just on or off?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you. One more related and probably more complex question....does my solid state gear benefit from a warm up period, or is it just on or off?
Not unless you have failing caps due to age.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis