"Unique 'Hollow-Oval' Geometry

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thank you. One more related and probably more complex question....does my solid state gear benefit from a warm up period, or is it just on or off?
To me, this one is a little bit less clear-cut.

The measurements may change (ever so slightly) as the devices heat up, but I highly doubt it is audible.

Here is another question, food for thought: Do the electronics technicians allow their SS instrumentation to heat up before taking valid measurements?

See, here's something to keep in mind--Audio circuitry and audio reproduction is fairly mundane as compared to other electronics and circuitry. The more interesting and more critical electronics are found in Chemistry and Physics Labs, in the Electronics Labs, and in the medical fields. Ask yourself, what is done in these other more critical fields? If fancy cables and break-in periods are not needed in those critical fields, then how could they possibly be needed in the mundane audio field?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you. What contributes more to age and failure, cycling on and off, or constant current? Should I leave my gear on all the time?
Heat is number one. Cigarette smoke number two. Dust probably number three. I leave most of my gear on all the time.

W

Wildings

Audioholic
Heat is number one. Cigarette smoke number two. Dust probably number three. I leave most of my gear on all the time.
Thank you. No smoke. Mindful of dust. Components not confined, although headphone DAC and amp stacked. I will create more space for air circulation between them.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I leave most of my gear on all the time.
I've always assumed that it is best to power down gear on the basis that having it off (even though most modern AVR's are never truly off) presents a barrier for power surges (I don't know that is true). I know that unplugging is best if there is an electrical storm, but I never think about that unless I hear some cracks of thunder that put the "fear of God" in me!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Yup.

It's just one of those items like I've been saying, these charlatans have to throw in some technical jargon to trick the uneducated.

Clearly this nonsense is a complete sham, scam, ripoff, and these guys are laughing all the way to the bank.

Why would any educated technical person call it a "DC field", when the more common term is an "electrostatic charge"?
The problem I have is when people sell this stuff, knowing that it's BS. Years ago, when I made a comment about cables with batteries at the same store I referred to earlier, the guy showed me the dealer price list (he had originally been a customer of mine and eventually worked at that store), which I found appalling. The prices and description are absurd and every time I have spoken with Electrical Engineers and others who know far more than I do, they make sounds like a dog that doesn't understand what it sees. That guy has since left, but I have known the others for close to 40 years and they really should know better. If they're only selling these for the money, it may be a good financial reason but I couldn't do it.

The comments about this being similar to 'forming' a capacitor- a cap's dielectric is chosen, based on the working voltage and the application- if it's normally exposed to high voltage, it usually fails catastrophically- I have yet to see a cap fail at lower (>50V) voltages unless it was old and ready to go. The dielectric in a cap is very thin and it may have a flaw (usually one or more pin holes) that allows the voltage to arc through but shielded coaxial cable usually has some kind of foam dielectric with a high voltage rating, but it's not a conductor.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
I've gotten to the point I read the comments about voodoo speaker cables and interconnects for entertainment. Some of them seem to be almost cult member like in their total belief in the BS they are spouting.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis