Ultra-loud car stereos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MAX661

Audioholic
race4aliving said:
I'LL echo what others have said and say there are some really great artists in Rap,but someone having to use 3x as many words to describe something is not having a large vocabulary.
I didn't mean they have to use more words to discribe something. Your typical song is broken down as:

16 bars
8 bar chorus
16 bars
8 bar chorus
16 bars
8 bar chorus

2 bars in rap goes something like this:

"there is nothing I depend on, if only i could let off what's going on in my head when I'm alone and my pen stops"

2 bars in and song that you sings is:

"You and meeeeeeeee"

So think about the time it takes and thought process someone is going through to complete 1 song.

R

RMK!

Noise Pollution & Grumpy Old Men

It's hell getting old...Many are the times I have sat trapped at a stoplight, cursing the dread sled that is rocking my world and everything else within a thermo nuclear blast zone of the offending vehicle. Then, I remember my home system and the many times I have blasted the machine emerging from the ground scene from WOTW or the battle scenes from Master & Commander and I wonder how my polite neighbors feel about the offensive rumble that must be reaching their ears and butts. I have a large and well insulated home with decent setbacks but I know that my enjoyment of this new HT audio toy is impacting others. Maybe I’ll grow up one day, sell all of this equipment and return the neighborhood to its former serene state.

Last edited by a moderator:
Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
One could only hope...

...the SPLs would be high enough to cause internal hemorrhaging, loss of conciousness and a sudden fatal impact into an immovable object with no collateral human damage...

With regard to (c)rap...really ain't music IMO...not even close to a chant, pentatonic or otherwise...more like a latter-day variant of beat poetry with the requisite bongo accompaniment...and please don't try to convince me that some self-delusionally deep and obscene wordplay, punctuated by sampling and stylus scratching has anything remotely musical about it.

jimHJJ(...like most rock, self-indulgent claptrap...)

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
If there is no musicians, there is no music. I don't give a bleep what the song is about.

If you are so ignorant you can't even buy pants that fit, it makes sense why you can't play a musical instrument.

M

MAX661

Audioholic
how is there no musician? have you ever sat infront of a beat making program with drums, learned to play the piano to come up with origional loops for beats?

All I know is a friend of mine who produces Hip Hop music plays:
Piano
Guitar {both bass & electric}
trumpet
Drums
Is excellent on turntables
he is even learning the Violin to add new sounds to his music.

He has been studying music since we were kids.

It is funny how naive some people are...lol, sure there are some producers who only Sample other people's music but there are many many who play it themselves. Name me 5 rapper's that aren't on the Top 10 at 10? or name me 3 Hip Hop producers?

you most likely cant without using the internet but yet you guys manage to say they aren't musicians. Very closed minded if you ask me.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
First of all...

...turntables aren't an instrument...

Second...The delivery system is usually an invasive, overbearing rolling boom-box screaming at the top of it's pathetic lungs "LOOK AT ME!!!"...replete with obscenities that would do a sailor proud...

Third...it all sounds the same, particularly the variant that sounds sorta' like reggae with the incessant jibby-jibby-jabba-jabba, jibby-jibby-jabba-jabba, pidgin English or whatever it is...

And I've heard it all in South Jamaica, Queens, NY...so please, naivete or insulation plays no part...

jimHJJ(...it's the familiarity that breeds contempt...)

Last edited:
L

linvillegorge

Audiophyte
The Roots play all their own instruments. Even mainstream Outkast has a band (Wylde Peach) which plays live instruments in concert. The ignorance being spewed by some on this thread is amazing. Like I said, most of the stuff on popular radio is CRAP. BUT, there is some very good hip-hop music out there. If you don't like it, that's fine, but don't just rag on it because you don't understand it. I hate opera and jazz. However, I have immense respect for those talented musicians. I just choose to not listen to the music, but you won't catch me ragging on them.

N

niget2002

Junior Audioholic
What happens when you play a country song backwards? You get your house back, you get your car back, you get your wife back, you get your dog back...

Country music sounds all the same to some,. Just like rap sounds all the same to others.

BTW. I listen to all music. My CD changer has everything from country to rap, big band to alternative, and a little house/trance thrown in for good measure.

M

MAX661

Audioholic
Resident Loser said:
...turntables aren't an instrument...
You obviously haven't seen a talented DJ who can create a drum beat using 2turntables some skill and a cross fader... If he has alot of talent he can create an entire beat using 3 or maybe even more turntables. So you cant say they aren't an instrument.

Hell glasses filled with water are an instrument if the right person is standing behind them...

Also there are many hip hop performances that have an entire orchestra behind them for there beat. And this is what I find the most enteertaining about music...

Anyone who is serious about hiphop respects all forms of music, and they are always looking for new ways to encorporate sounds from any other type of music to make there's new or better.

However a serious classical listener doesn't usually know squat about hip hop.

Go to any beat makers house and you will see THOUSANDS of records from every genre of music there is... I am willing to bet my buddy has more of your favorite music collections than you do... But again all you say is HipHop is garbage and write it off even before you give it a chance. It's very typical.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
MAX661 said:
Wow talk about passing judgement on an enitre Genre of music...lol While I agree there is an over abundance of garbage pure profanity C{rap} out there, there are also many who are extremely amazing who exhibit genius in there music.

If you think about the amout of words that goes into a single rap verse you can appreciate talent.

1 verse in a rap song = 3x as much vocabulary as any other genre in the business. Think about that the next time you consider something crap, I think no mans hard work/ heart and soul is crap. Even if it is not my cup of tea, I respect it for the time and dedication that man has put into it. I think if more people stayed open minded, there wouldn't be as much profanity because it would be a genre of music that tried less to stick out from the rest.

This is just my opinion, and I do respect everyone's else's. But I figured if others are going to say something is crap, I would try to put a little light back into it.
All those words don't count because 2/3's of them are made up. :D

SheepStar

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey um thansk fer the warning

niget2002 said:
What happens when you play a country song backwards? You get your house back, you get your car back, you get your wife back, you get your dog back...

I'll never play a country album or anything that resembles country backwards again..ever

M

markdi

Enthusiast
I am a cpf member

candlepowerforums - hi quality and high power

flashlights and hid spotlights

I have a hid spotlight in my car that is extreemly bright

I also have a powerfull car stereo I enjoy on the freeway but any one who makes me listen to their rap crap at a light meets my 5300 lumen hid spotlight.

I use it to beam window rattlers at home too.

I hate people who drive by my house past midnight blasting a loud car stereo.

I stick my kimber arms .380 super in my waistband and grab my hid eye burner.

If I have to listen to their music blasting then I feel I have a right to blast their eyes.

they are lucky I do not use my 300 mw dpss green laser

- blind them for good.

I feel that if a few rude people suffered in the extreem for being rude - the world would be better off.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
There are two issues here

1st issue is RAP music.
Its not my thing either but I'm also not naive enough to say that it doesn't take talent to come up with the some meaningful lyrics and stuff all into a verse. I'm not talking about the sh?t played on the radio. The sh?t on the radio does not only encompass rap but rock, bubbelgum rock, top40 stuff as well. Meaningless dribble meant to entice the brainless masses and to keep the fat record excutives happy. Bands like "In-Synch, Back Street Boys, etc. are just as bad as the comercial rap that talks about bling bootie and doin it. Gee, not that much different than country eh? I'm of the opinion that there is some good rap out there. In fact, there is a band that emcompasses RAP with rock but the name escapes me. RAP may not be everyone's thing and its not bad unless forced to hear it which brings me to issue2.

issue2 is being forced to listen to someone elses music coming from a car.
I don't give a flying f??k what kinda music is blasting out of poindexter's car. If I can hear/feel it clearly, I'm gonna hate, regardless of the type of music played. Thats just plain rude, and in some case out right dangerous as it causes distractiion from the important task, driving. So for all you selfish attention seeking cretins who blast their music so the whole world hears it, give us a break. or I'll kidnap you, tie you too a chair and blast opera at you at insane volume levels for several hours.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Are we having fun yet?

MAX661 said:
You obviously haven't seen a talented DJ who can create a drum beat using 2turntables some skill and a cross fader... If he has alot of talent he can create an entire beat using 3 or maybe even more turntables. So you cant say they aren't an instrument.
As soon as Local 802 of the AFM classifies a turntable as an instrument we'll talk, 'til then...

MAX661 said:
Hell glasses filled with water are an instrument if the right person is standing behind them...they are always looking for new ways to encorporate sounds from any other type of music to make there's new or better...
Ben Franklin invented the Glass Harmonica, water-filled glasses are derivative of that...simple physics concerned with ratios of vibrating surfaces...blowing across pop bottles is related, in this case columns of air...they have one thing in common: the ability to produce a pitch, which in turn can produce a melody and is capable of harmony, which in turn produces music...

The late Frank Zappa played a bicycle duet with the equally-late Steve Allen in the early 60s, however, I haven't noticed many folks trading their Stradivarius for a Schwinn.

MAX661 said:
However a serious classical listener doesn't usually know squat about hip hop.
I know part of the "culture" includes graffiti...can you guess my feelings regarding that aspect?

MAX661 said:
But again all you say is HipHop is garbage and write it off even before you give it a chance. It's very typical.
Never said it was garbage...at least garbage had a purpose before it became garbage.

The one thing that really irks me, is all these little suburban white-boy psuedo-gangsta wannabees, in their baggy capri pants, doo-rags and backwards ball caps...in their lowered Hondas with the 1200Watt subs blasting the obscenity-ridden, misogynistic "lyrics".

And BTW, you singled out my "turntables" remark...whattabout the rest of my post? Any response?

And yes, it all pretty much sounds the same...what can you expect from something that conforms to a 4/4 time signature and whose lyric rhythm is about as compelling as iambic pentameter, but not nearly as entertaining.

I'd much rather listen to Big Mama Thornton or Buckwheat Zydeco...

jimHJJ(...oxymoron of the day: rap music...)

M

MAX661

Audioholic
Resident Loser said:
As soon as Local 802 of the AFM classifies a turntable as an instrument we'll talk, 'til then...

Ben Franklin invented the Glass Harmonica, water-filled glasses are derivative of that...simple physics concerned with ratios of vibrating surfaces...blowing across pop bottles is related, in this case columns of air...they have one thing in common: the ability to produce a pitch, which in turn can produce a melody and is capable of harmony, which in turn produces music...

The late Frank Zappa played a bicycle duet with the equally-late Steve Allen in the early 60s, however, I haven't noticed many folks trading their Stradivarius for a Schwinn.

I know part of the "culture" includes graffiti...can you guess my feelings regarding that aspect?

Never said it was garbage...at least garbage had a purpose before it became garbage.

The one thing that really irks me, is all these little suburban white-boy psuedo-gangsta wannabees, in their baggy capri pants, doo-rags and backwards ball caps...in their lowered Hondas with the 1200Watt subs blasting the obscenity-ridden, misogynistic "lyrics".

And BTW, you singled out my "turntables" remark...whattabout the rest of my post? Any response?

And yes, it all pretty much sounds the same...what can you expect from something that conforms to a 4/4 time signature and whose lyric rhythm is about as compelling as iambic pentameter, but not nearly as entertaining.

I'd much rather listen to Big Mama Thornton or Buckwheat Zydeco...

jimHJJ(...oxymoron of the day: rap music...)

Alright, first, I didn't address the rest of your first post because it is just plain ignorant.

Second, So what your saying is before someone labled the guitar an instrument, you would be naive enough to think it can't create music even if you've heard it?

Third, If all Rap music sounds the same you need your ears checked. Yet another ignorant remark.

I'll agree, the urban white-boys {as you put it} does give it a bad look. But I wear a suit and tie everyday and have loved Hip Hop music for the past 15 years of my life.

And yet you skip over my remark, if you have heard it all then name me 5 rappers that aren't on your top 40 and 3 producers.

The funniest part of this is, by your standards if someone doesn't like violence then they can say someone like Jet Li has no talent because his art has no purpose in there eye's. And we all know you can't deny he has talent, same thing goes for rappers you can hate them all you want but many are genius'

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Hmmm...

MAX661 said:
#1. Alright, first, I didn't address the rest of your first post because it is just plain ignorant.

#2. Second, So what your saying is before someone labled the guitar an instrument, you would be naive enough to think it can't create music even if you've heard it?

#3. Third, If all Rap music sounds the same you need your ears checked. Yet another ignorant remark.

#4. I'll agree, the urban white-boys {as you put it} does give it a bad look. But I wear a suit and tie everyday and have loved Hip Hop music for the past 15 years of my life.

#5. And yet you skip over my remark, if you have heard it all then name me 5 rappers that aren't on your top 40 and 3 producers.

#6. The funniest part of this is, by your standards if someone doesn't like violence then they can say someone like Jet Li has no talent because his art has no purpose in there eye's. And we all know you can't deny he has talent, same thing goes for rappers you can hate them all you want but many are genius'
#1. Ignorant? Which part?...the preferred delivery system or the jibba-jibba-jabba-jabba?

#2. By all historical evidence, all strings probably have the bow (of bow and arrow fame) as their ancestor...The fact that it twangs at a different pitch depending on various factors, led some individuals to move beyond the drum and explore other musical possibilities...from there we get the notion of variable pitch, musical notation and music. However, they set out to create instruments of various stripes. No matter how you slice or dice it, a turntable's purpose was in the reproduction of music contained on a disk...the closest "musical" output scratching has going for it is similar to muting a guitar's strings with one hand while slashing the strings with a pick in the other, Hendrix may have been prime exponent of that technique, but he knew just a little went a lo-o-o-ng way. As stated earlier FZ proved one could play a bicycle.

And before we get too far afield, using a pre-recorded snippets of sound is nothing new, it has it's roots in music concrete and other experimental styles of the 40s and 50s as exemplified by it's originator, Pierre Schaeffer...there is nothing new under the sun. Let's see if we can find one of his recordings, shall we? Then of course, we have atonal and 12-tone music...not a big fan of those either.

#3. I don't go looking for it, unfortunately it seems to have a way of finding me and it always sounds the same...must be that 4/4ths beat and the four-letter words...But don't feel too bad, Igor Stravinsky is said to have remarked that Antonio Vivaldi wrote "...the same concerto 500 times..."

#4. When I gave up on popular music, I looked to it's roots and other styles...I'd much prefer Native American flute music or Hawaiian slack-key guitar...Byrd, Coltrane and Davis ain't too shabby either...

#5. Sorry, can't comply...with all the real music of historic import to be investigated, there isn't enough time.

#6. Who is Jet Li and why should I care? There are words like diva and genius whose flagrant use has become so arbitrary and capricious as to render them meaningless. As Charles Manson once said “You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.”

jimHJJ(...now everyone gets the blue-ribbon just fer showin' up...)

M

MAX661

Audioholic
There is really no point in talking to you on this subject, you are very narrow minded. Those who cant do are critics I get it... keep being a critic and look down at those with talent.

End of discussion, Save your remark to this I will not be answering...

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Double hmmmm...

MAX661 said:
#1. There is really no point in talking to you on this subject, you are very narrow minded.

#2. Those who cant do are critics I get it... keep being a critic and look down at those with talent.

#3. End of discussion, Save your remark to this I will not be answering...
#1. But of a remarkably wide experience...

#2. Yes I can...I'll plug-in through the ol' Cry-baby lissen...waka-jawaka, jawaka-waka-waka-waka...waka-jawaka, jawaka-waka woo...pure genius!!! Perhaps a little tune on my kalimba is more to your liking...

jimHJJ(...#3. Why am I not surprised?...)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Resident Loser said:
#1.

#3. I don't go looking for it, unfortunately it seems to have a way of finding me and it always sounds the same...must be that 4/4ths beat and the four-letter words...But don't feel too bad, Igor Stravinsky is said to have remarked that Antonio Vivaldi wrote "...the same concerto 500 times..."
On an aside

Big deal. Stravinksy also criticized Tchaikovsky too . So what. As far as I'm concerned, Stravinksy has little to show for his criticisms. His music isn''t that well known or that well regarded. Sibelius was a far better composer of the same genre than Stravinsky

G

GettinDegreez

Junior Audioholic
Just do me a favor and listen to some Nas and tell me if you think it's garbage(not saying it's the best, just better than most of the other stuff). Try the song Ether or One Mic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis