Tutti Formaggio, the all things REAL CHEESE thread

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I like all kinds of cheese and can't say that I have a favourite.

I love a Swiss cheese fondue with Gruyère and Emmentaler. The Guiness Cheddar that Eppie mentioned is also quite good. I like some blues, as well, although I don't get them often, as I'm the only one in my house who likes them.

That reminds me of a story a French teacher (from Quebec) told our class many years ago. He had a daughter living in France and had gone to visit her there. One morning, he went to the local market and while perusing a display of cheeses, spied one labeled "Crotte du Diable". Intrigued, he bought a piece. When he got home, he opened it to try a bite. However, the smell was so off-putting, he couldn't bring himself to taste it. "Crotte du Diable" means "$hit of the Devil".

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Well I'm not as sophisticated as you guys, and have no love for strong cheeses.

But since coming to Poland I have developed a deep seated love for oscypek.

Oscypek is a smoked cheese made from sheep's milk and is served hot off the grill with cranberry sauce. It has a smooth texture and is firm almost chewy, and tasted almost like bacon.

I have no idea if you can get it outside of Poland but should you get the chance to try some I highly recommend it!

And now I'm hungry.
I looked into that type of cheese and it seems difficult to find outside of Poland.

My grandfather came to the US from Poznan and from what my dad and his siblings said, he liked Limburger cheese. They didn't.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Try Colby or Colby Jack on a burger- I grew up on American cheese but now prefer Colby or mushroom/swiss.
Oh I've used a wide variety over the years but have come back around to American altho if I could get a good bleu it'd be a coin toss....

highfigh

highfigh

Hákarl! What is it? A national Icelandic delicacy made from fermented, rotted shark meat! You have to cure it for months since it's actually poisonous... Not actual cheese, but is often compared to the blues.

View attachment 50786
What the hell is it with Nordic people and their treatment of fish? Lutefisk is aged stockfish, or dried & salted Cod, pickled in Lye and now, this.

marticus

marticus

Audioholic
I looked into that type of cheese and it seems difficult to find outside of Poland.

My grandfather came to the US from Poznan and from what my dad and his siblings said, he liked Limburger cheese. They didn't.
Thats a shame, maybe its sold as something else I'll keep an ear out for if anyone exports out of Poland.

I don't think limburger is especially popular here so I guess it was your grandfather's personal taste for it :D

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Awesome thread!
Love most any cheese including the blues but also love me some good goat cheese. Had Cypress grove's Purple Haze for my birthday last month. Best goat I've had:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What the hell is it with Nordic people and their treatment of fish? Lutefisk is aged stockfish, or dried & salted Cod, pickled in Lye and now, this.
I guess the shark is actually inedible and poisonous unless you let it rot to a nice, creamy cheesy consistency. By all accounts it's pretty rough stuff to get down tho. Strong urine aftertaste and smells pretty bad to boot. Me personally, I'll pass, lol.

highfigh

highfigh

I guess the shark is actually inedible and poisonous unless you let it rot to a nice, creamy cheesy consistency. By all accounts it's pretty rough stuff to get down tho. Strong urine aftertaste and smells pretty bad to boot. Me personally, I'll pass, lol.
Oh, boy! Gimme some of that!

highfigh

highfigh

Thats a shame, maybe its sold as something else I'll keep an ear out for if anyone exports out of Poland.

I don't think limburger is especially popular here so I guess it was your grandfather's personal taste for it :D
Well, he did come here in 1889 and Poznan was part of the German Empire, so....

I had Limburger once. I'm good. I had a bit of a problem with its bouquet.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I like all kinds of cheese and can't say that I have a favourite.

I love a Swiss cheese fondue with Gruyère and Emmentaler. The Guiness Cheddar that Eppie mentioned is also quite good. I like some blues, as well, although I don't get them often, as I'm the only one in my house who likes them.

That reminds me of a story a French teacher (from Quebec) told our class many years ago. He had a daughter living in France and had gone to visit her there. One morning, he went to the local market and while perusing a display of cheeses, spied one labeled "Crotte du Diable". Intrigued, he bought a piece. When he got home, he opened it to try a bite. However, the smell was so off-putting, he couldn't bring himself to taste it. "Crotte du Diable" means "$hit of the Devil".
Talking about "La Crotte du Diable cheese", in my late 20's I had bought some of that cheese and my wife and I found the smell really off-putting. I knew my father loved OKA cheese which also had a smell at the time, but not as bad as at the time it was made by monks in the 1940's. So we brought the "Crotte du Diable" to him and he ate it.

As for the OKA cheese, it is now produced by a family cooperative. It is still one of the best selling cheeses in Quebec.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I made mushroom swiss burgers last night and mixed some Bleu cheese crumbles in with the meat. I used Bleu cheese dressing on the top bun too. Sautéed mushrooms, garlic and onions piled on top of melting swiss cheese over a 1/2 lb patty! Yum!

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
Awesome thread!
Love most any cheese including the blues but also love me some good goat cheese. Had Cypress grove's Purple Haze for my birthday last month. Best goat I've had:

Cypress Grove Midnight Moon is also awesome.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I made mushroom swiss burgers last night and mixed some Bleu cheese crumbles in with the meat. I used Bleu cheese dressing on the top bun too. Sautéed mushrooms, garlic and onions piled on top of melting swiss cheese over a 1/2 lb patty! Yum!
We've been trying Hello Fresh every other week over the summer. They had a burger with camembert cheese and fig jam with mixed greens on the bun. That was way tastier than expected and I'll definitely make it again.

We took the family to Iceland in 2018. Nobody really eats that sh!t. I think it's a dare for tourists. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Mostly I knew about limberger's rep, mostly of it's odiferous nature, from cartoons and such. Finally checked it out in my 30s, both tasted better than I thought it would and wasn't as stinky as I thought it would be. Haven't t gone looking for it since, tho, either.....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Cypress Grove has come up a few times, now. They make some stunning cheese. Humboldt Fog is my personal favorite from them, with their Dutch-made Lamb Chopper sheep milk Gouda a close second.

When I was doing my stint as Executive Chef at a local flagship winery, Humboldt Fog was a mainstay on any Cheese Board I needed to produce.

(It was also my Sous Chefs favorite, a 50-something year old (at the time) Latina... She would see a wheel come in and her eyes would get big. If I didn't set aside a slice for her to nibble on, I could absolutely count on coming in the next day to find a 'mouse' had visited! :p )

Last edited:
B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
Cypress Grove has come up a few times, now. They make some stunning cheese. Hum bolt Fog is my personal favorite from them, with their Dutch-made Lamb Chopper sheep milk Gouda a close second.

When I was doing my stint as Executive Chef at a local flagship winery, Humboldt Fog was a mainstay on any Cheese Board I needed to produce.

(It was also my Sous Chefs favorite, a 50-something year old (at the time) Latina... She would see a wheel come in and her eyes would get big. If I didn't set aside a slice for her to nibble on, I could absolutely count on coming in the next day to find a 'mouse' had visited! :p )
I agree that Humboldt fog is great also.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis