Tutti Formaggio, the all things REAL CHEESE thread

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hell, we have threads on Beer, drinks in general, Brisket and BBQ...

Lets see if Cheese can get some traction!

Please, no posts about Processed Cheese Product, including spray cheez, so called American cheese, Velveeta, etc. ;)

I wanna see what you all are into! :D

For me, right now, I'm halfway through a wheel of pure bliss:

La Tur, from Italy.
1634065540409.png

1634065780038.png

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hell, we have threads on Beer, drinks in general, Brisket and BBQ...

Lets see if Cheese can get some traction!

Please, no posts about Processed Cheese Product, including spray cheez, so called American cheese, Velveeta, etc. ;)

I wanna see what you all are into! :D

For me, right now, I'm halfway through a wheel of pure bliss:

La Tur, from Italy.
View attachment 50773

View attachment 50774
Looks like meringue.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Real cheese, you say? Say no more!
1634066820746.png

Edit: Sorry - did not see your restrictions. I'll take my generic saltines elsewhere...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
For me the absolute King of Cheese is Stilton.

Even the French call it: "Le Roi de Fromage."

It is the perfect end to any great meal, especially if combined with a nice glass of port.

The Stilton Cheese makers guild is one of the last of the ancient trade guilds left in the UK. They control their cheese makers with obsessional adherence to quality and tradition.

Stilton can only bear the name of Stilton, if made in the counties of Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire.

Here is a link to the Stilton Cheesemakers Guild.

For members in the Twin Cities, Surdyks carry particularly fine examples in the holiday season.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
For me the absolute King of Cheese is Stilton.

Even the French call it: "Le Roi de Fromage."

It is the perfect end to any great meal, especially if combined with a nice glass of port.

The Stilton Cheese makers guild is one of the last of the ancient trade guilds left in the UK. They control their cheese makers with obsessional adherence to quality and tradition.

Stilton can only bear the name of Stilton, if made in the counties of Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire.

Here is a link to the Stilton Cheesemakers Guild.

For members in the Twin Cities, Surdyks carry particularly fine examples in the holiday season.
Yes!
I love a good Stilton.
While I usually don't go after too many Blues (the cheese, not the genre), Stilton is the one I will eat straight off the board... No Port, cracker or bread required (though nice if on hand)!

We can usually get an import from Neal's Yard where I am, their Colston Basset. Used to see a wider variety at some of the local shops, but that has dwindled these days. It's probably been about 5 or 6 years since I've seen a Shropshire Blue or Double Gloucester. :(

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, that Monty Python routine is a classic :D

I also like a sharp tasting cheese like Stilton or some Blues. On the milder side, one of my favorites is Guinness Cheddar:

We also get a locally produced Applewood Smoked Cheddar, similar to the one by Ilchester.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Cambozola 2.jpg

The German Cambozola Classic cheese is another classic worldwide product.

Several years ago, I was offered that cheese at an oyster party. That is how I got introduced to blue cheese and I now enjoy tasting blue cheese. In my opinion, this is one of the best to try for a start in tasting blue cheese, as it doesn't contain as many blue veins as most typical blue cheeses.

marticus

marticus

Audioholic
Well I'm not as sophisticated as you guys, and have no love for strong cheeses.

But since coming to Poland I have developed a deep seated love for oscypek.

Oscypek is a smoked cheese made from sheep's milk and is served hot off the grill with cranberry sauce. It has a smooth texture and is firm almost chewy, and tasted almost like bacon.

I have no idea if you can get it outside of Poland but should you get the chance to try some I highly recommend it!

And now I'm hungry.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Well I'm not as sophisticated as you guys, and have no love for strong cheeses.

But since coming to Poland I have developed a deep seated love for oscypek.

Oscypek is a smoked cheese made from sheep's milk and is served hot off the grill with cranberry sauce. It has a smooth texture and is firm almost chewy, and tasted almost like bacon.

I have no idea if you can get it outside of Poland but should you get the chance to try some I highly recommend it!

And now I'm hungry.
As long as it's real cheese, there is nothing to be ashamed about. :)

I was at a local market that offered a brick of smoked pepperjack the other day. I didn't even feel a bit slutty as I shredded it into some Hatch chili tortillas and made little quesadillas out of it! ;)

marticus

marticus

Audioholic
As long as it's real cheese, there is nothing to be ashamed about. :)

I was at a local market that offered a brick of smoked pepperjack the other day. I didn't even feel a bit slutty as I shredded it into some Hatch chili tortillas and made little quesadillas out of it! ;)
Well now you come to mention it there is now a restriction on the use of the name oscypek, as there is issue with a lot of copies being sold.

So now only a few licensed manufacturers can make oscypek and all the other inferior stuff is called 'mountain cheese' or something along those lines.

I've no idea what would happen if you tried selling 'Mountain cheese' as genuine oscypek, maybe the Polish cheese Mafia will come knocking one dark night lol.

Regardless it all tastes good with a couple of beers!

Edit: and this talk of quesadillas isn't helping my hunger any either :p

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Well now you come to mention it there is now a restriction on the use of the name oscypek, as there is issue with a lot of copies being sold.

So now only a few licensed manufacturers can make oscypek and all the other inferior stuff is called 'mountain cheese' or something along those lines.

I've no idea what would happen if you tried selling 'Mountain cheese' as genuine oscypek, maybe the Polish cheese Mafia will come knocking one dark night lol.

Regardless it all tastes good with a couple of beers!

Edit: and this talk of quesadillas isn't helping my hunger any either :p
Considering the things I hear going on in some of the former Eastern Bloc Countries, I'd be more worried about the Secret Police coming back around and just disappearing you. :eek:

Shhhh!
;)

(Pretty sure that's where we are headed, and you'll only be safe if you have a Trump Tramp-Stamp!)
1634073805443.png

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh ya... CHEESE!

I used to do a Mushroom Risotto with Chimay Blue Label and Smoked Gouda. Bonkers good!

Last edited:
MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Pecorino Romano. Can't make Italian food without it and it's been around for a long, long time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I usually have four or five basic cheeses on hand, but nothing too fancy as that takes too long a drive/shopping trip for me. I do love it, but grew up in the midwest so its somewhat ingrained in me perhaps :). I have on hand now some basic extra sharp cheddar, pepper jack, mozzarellas (fresh-type and low fat, both mostly for pizza making), parmigiano reggiano, gruyere and even some american cheese (can't beat it on a burger, sorry). Mostly its about cooking and sandwiches rather than eating on its own. If I can find a good bleu cheese I'll get one for both snacking and for making a salad dressing. I do like an occasional brie, too.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I usually have four or five basic cheeses on hand, but nothing too fancy as that takes too long a drive/shopping trip for me. I do love it, but grew up in the midwest so its somewhat ingrained in me perhaps :). I have on hand now some basic extra sharp cheddar, pepper jack, mozzarellas (fresh-type and low fat, both mostly for pizza making), parmigiano reggiano, gruyere and even some american cheese (can't beat it on a burger, sorry). Mostly its about cooking and sandwiches rather than eating on its own. If I can find a good bleu cheese I'll get one for both snacking and for making a salad dressing. I do like an occasional brie, too.
Very utilitarian! ;)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
An excellent Camembert from Normandie, France. That is one of my ancestors' origin.

This is my usual weekly cheese. Jean Verrier also makes an excellent Brie.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
An excellent Camembert from Normandie, France. That is one of my ancestors' origin.

This is my usual weekly cheese. Jean Verrier also makes an excellent Brie.
Yes! I do like a good Camembert. Especially sliced, tossed on a baguette, toasted and sprinkled with a little Celtic Sea Salt and Fresh Cracked Pepper...
So Dreamy!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis