Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
The excitement over average belt drive tables amazes me...
Pretty sure some folks would call a brand new Cadillac "average" because there are Rolls Royces that cost 6 times more. I will let you know how much better my new Pro-Ject turntable is over my 43+ year old Technics is later on. I haven't hooked it up yet because I have been too busy to pop on a record or two. Plus, Amazon screwed up my delivery of the Q Up tonearm lifter that I ordered. The open and empty Amazon bag was delivered though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pretty sure some folks would call a brand new Cadillac "average" because there are Rolls Royces that cost 6 times more. I will let you know how much better my new Pro-Ject turntable is over my 43+ year old Technics is later on. I haven't hooked it up yet because I have been too busy to pop on a record or two. Plus, Amazon screwed up my delivery of the Q Up tonearm lifter that I ordered. The open and empty Amazon bag was delivered though.
LOL don't take me too seriously....I'm amazed overall people still buy vinyl/tt's. :) Am curious how your other tt stacks up...but without same cartridge only so meaningful.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
btw, Crutchfield's top TT costs $2500 and is belt-drive and manual as are the vast majority of the ones over $1000. This I did not know and would not have fathomed until I did some research before my purchase.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
btw, Crutchfield's top TT costs $2500 and is belt-drive and manual as are the vast majority of the ones over $1000. This I did not know and would not have fathomed until I did some research before my purchase.
I went dd a long time ago as it was the better choice, and to my mind still is. The inaccurate speeds of belt drives back then drove me crazy. They still seem to have that issue. You can spend far more than $2500, tho!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
From what I've been reading Vinyl and TT have been gaining in Popularity last 10 years of so.
Rising to a degree, but in the overall picture still just a niche. I grew up with it...there was no choice for many years outside of tape.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
The Q Up tonearm lifter finally arrived and I set up the new turntable this morning. It is so great. The first thing I noticed was when the needle hit the record, I did not hear rumble in my sub. Nothing. I was so used to tt rumble, with the semi-auto features and probably a half-dozen other issues with the Technics. But now, this a new experience. Very clean and deeper sound with the Pro-Ject. Yeah man, I am happy. And the Q-Up works just great too. Now if I can get $100 for the old one, that'd be cool. No dust cover, but someone might want a vintage DD tt.
The first record I played was The Doobie Brothers "The Captain and Me". The white one pictured is Sam Phillips "Martinis and Bikinis".

Attachments

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I knew about that. I doubt I need it. Sounds so clear and perfect as it is. Just got done listening to a new 180 gram Bowie Ziggy Stardust LP.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Which model turntable is that, and which cartridge?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Nice Vintage Speakers by the way :)
Thx! I upgraded them with Crites' crossovers and titanium tweeter diaphragms. I am happy with them!
edit: They were walnut, but I painted them matte black because I liked the look of the matte black Forte III's.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
This is the one I bought Ken. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_252DBCDCGB/Pro-Ject-Debut-Carbon-DC-Gloss-Black.html?tp=75887
It has an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge. It sounds about 7,000 times better than my old Audio Technica cart.
It's an outstanding turntable for the entry-level price, and the first upgrade I'd do (later) would be to get the 2M Blue or 2M Bronze cartridge. What are you using for a phono amp? I went from a basic Pro-Ject Phonobox MM to a Schitt Mani. It was an immediate improvement.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
My Yamaha RX-A1060 has a phono input. Is that cool, or could I do better?
edit: I wouldn't change the receiver, but I'd consider a different input with a phono pre-amp. But only if it would make a big diff.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
My Yamaha RX-A1060 has a phono input. Is that cool, or could I do better?
edit: I wouldn't change the receiver, but I'd consider a different input with a phono pre-amp. But only if it would make a big diff.
I can't say for sure how much difference it would make, it's a hard thing to quantify. The Schitt Mani is only $129 + shipping, or $149 on Amazon with "free" shipping. By all accounts I've read (and compared to two I've heard), it beats all five of those in the Audio Advice video. Very highly rated.

For me, it really gives better detail in the highs and a more generous rendering of the midrange. I got it when I had an equivalent to your turntable, the Pro-Ject RPM-1 also with an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge. It's so good I kept it when I upgraded to an E.A.T C-Major turntable with Ortofon Quintet Blue moving coil cartridge.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can't say for sure how much difference it would make, it's a hard thing to quantify. The Schitt Mani is only $129 + shipping, or $149 on Amazon with "free" shipping. By all accounts I've read (and compared to two I've heard), it beats all five of those in the Audio Advice video. Very highly rated.

For me, it really gives better detail in the highs and a more generous rendering of the midrange. I got it when I had an equivalent to your turntable, the Pro-Ject RPM-1 also with an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge. It's so good I kept it when I upgraded to an E.A.T C-Major turntable with Ortofon Quintet Blue moving coil cartridge.
More generous rendering of the midrange means what, one unit was defective?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis