KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
More generous rendering of the midrange means what, one unit was defective?
No, not at all. It just means that the $79 Pro-Ject Phonobox MM didn't reproduce mid-range quite as well as the Schitt Mani. What was good is now better-defined.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, not at all. It just means that the $79 Pro-Ject Phonobox MM didn't reproduce mid-range quite as well as the Schitt Mani. What was good is now better-defined.
So, the ProJect was broken....or the Schiit is enhancing something ? Just midrange, both worked great on the rest of the frequency range? Odd....

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
So, the ProJect was broken....or the Schiit is enhancing something ? Just midrange, both worked great on the rest of the frequency range? Odd....
No, not broken! Worked as good as new. All phono amps have slight variation (as in, not flat) frequency response.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, not broken! Worked as good as new. All phono amps have slight variation (as in, not flat) frequency response.
Really? I'd suspect the cartridge more than the phono stage being inaccurate. Schiit seems relatively flat https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-schiit-mani-phono-stage.8052/ and even Project's tubed one is reasonably flat https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/pro-ject-tube-box-s2-phono-preamp-review.12873/

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
You think that's bad, my first thought when I saw the thread title was "CD player" ;)
I had the exact same thought.

This calls for some cartoons. One is precisely on the subject.
1594755748218.jpeg

And the other, not so much. But it is about people who must always customize.
1594755833141.png

Last edited:
allfred

allfred

Enthusiast
The best turntable we have found in 30 years of professional audio design and sales is the Merrill Wiliams Real 101.3

This table is a complete rethinking of the problems in vinyl playback.

A turntable is a vibration dissipation system and must do two tasks:

Task Number One: is to isolate the groove from all the energy being fed into the system from the world, this includes any noise generated by the motor and any airborne and or surface feed vibrations.

Task Number Two: is to take the extra contact energy being fed into the tonearm and dissipate that energy.

Task Number Three: is spin at precisely the correct speed.

The Merrill Wiliams REAL table is made out of rubber. The plinth is a composite of different rubber elastomers pressed into a dense energy absorbing layer.

The motor is isolated by rubber.

The support feet are isolated by rubber.

The out clamp is damped by rubber.

Event the main clamp is damped.

If you build your turntable to turn all excess energy into heat you are going to get a much cleaner sound.

This turntable is affordable and sounds absolutely remarkable.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
The best turntable we have found in 30 years of professional audio design and sales is the Merrill Wiliams Real 101.3

This table is a complete rethinking of the problems in vinyl playback.

A turntable is a vibration dissipation system and must do two tasks:

Task Number One: is to isolate the groove from all the energy being fed into the system from the world, this includes any noise generated by the motor and any airborne and or surface feed vibrations.

Task Number Two: is to take the extra contact energy being fed into the tonearm and dissipate that energy.

Task Number Three: is spin at precisely the correct speed.

The Merrill Wiliams REAL table is made out of rubber. The plinth is a composite of different rubber elastomers pressed into a dense energy absorbing layer.

The motor is isolated by rubber.

The support feet are isolated by rubber.

The out clamp is damped by rubber.

Event the main clamp is damped.

If you build your turntable to turn all excess energy into heat you are going to get a much cleaner sound.

This turntable is affordable and sounds absolutely remarkable.
And... Pictures? Specs, pricing, link, etc.?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

Merrill-Williams Audio LLC of Memphis, Tennesseejust introduced the latest version of its celebrated R.E.A.L. turntable, the model 101.3. The R.E.A.L. 101.3 retains the essential elements of the 101 and 101.2 models while adding fundamental improvements.
The most essential element retained in the 101.3 is a thoroughgoing approach to energy management design. The plinth consists of rubber elastomer sandwiched with phenolic (hence Rubber Elastomer Acoustic Laminate). All sources of vibration (motor, platter, bearing, and tonearm) are attached only to the elastomer, and each is isolated from the others in such a way that none is allowed to transmit vibration through the laminate.

Also retained are the 101.2's microprocessor-controlled motor drive with built-in speed strobe, its energy-rejecting elastomer feet, and its sophisticated record-clamping system, which consists of a center weight (also energy-rejecting) and periphery ring. The design of the R.E.A.L. turntable is the recipient of one of only two U.S. patents granted to a turntable (#8,406,122 B2), and the first since 1958.

The improvements in the model 101.3 consist of changes in the material of the platter and the construction of the center weight and feet, in addition to enhanced cosmetics.

The retail price of the R.E.A.L. 101.3 is $7995. This price includes the peripheral ring and the newly-designed record clamp.

$8000.

Last edited:
John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai

Merrill-Williams Audio LLC of Memphis, Tennesseejust introduced the latest version of its celebrated R.E.A.L. turntable, the model 101.3. The R.E.A.L. 101.3 retains the essential elements of the 101 and 101.2 models while adding fundamental improvements.
The most essential element retained in the 101.3 is a thoroughgoing approach to energy management design. The plinth consists of rubber elastomer sandwiched with phenolic (hence Rubber Elastomer Acoustic Laminate). All sources of vibration (motor, platter, bearing, and tonearm) are attached only to the elastomer, and each is isolated from the others in such a way that none is allowed to transmit vibration through the laminate.

Also retained are the 101.2's microprocessor-controlled motor drive with built-in speed strobe, its energy-rejecting elastomer feet, and its sophisticated record-clamping system, which consists of a center weight (also energy-rejecting) and periphery ring. The design of the R.E.A.L. turntable is the recipient of one of only two U.S. patents granted to a turntable (#8,406,122 B2), and the first since 1958.

The improvements in the model 101.3 consist of changes in the material of the platter and the construction of the center weight and feet, in addition to enhanced cosmetics.

The retail price of the R.E.A.L. 101.3 is $7995. This price includes the peripheral ring and the newly-designed record clamp.

$8000.
Hey @mazersteven ! Yeah, I am aware of the R.E.A.L and remember reading the review in Stereophile - I was just trying to give the poster a chance to back up their post with, you know, actual information... There are a lot of players pushing their 'tables at that price point (even Yamaha's new GT-5000!) and a little more exposition on the whys of the MW in lieu of generic text would be greatly appreciated!

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I'd buy it, but only if I won the lottery. Otherwise, my 400 bucker is pretty sweet! Ok, $450 with the lifter.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd buy it, but only if I won the lottery. Otherwise, my 400 bucker is pretty sweet! Ok, $450 with the lifter.
It didn't come with a cueing lever? At least that's what I'm picturing as "lifter"....

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Not exactly a smooth dampened-like lift. It lifts quickly, but not herky-jerky. The tone-arm does not "fly" off the lifter. So I would rather have one lift slowly. But this one does work great besides that. It is easy to re-load or re-set when you bring the tonearm back.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Question: do you guys think some credit should be thrown my way that I did not get this one?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis