Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I have a 40 year-old Technics SL-3200 direct-drive turntable. Works good, sounds good, holds the strobe just fine. Not sure the 40 year old wiring is still up to snuff (I have no reason to think the wiring is going bad. I just think 40 years is a long time, and perhaps the wiring has NOT degraded for all I know!). Two headshells both with Audio Technica cartridges. 30 years ago, I super glued a shim or two onto the top of one so that they both weigh the exact same. I have a nice system. Mains are Klipsch Forte II's with a Yamaha RX-A1060 receiver and an HSU sub. So I was wondering how would, or would I, benefit from buying a modern tt? I wouldn't want to spend more than 5 to 800 bucks. Would that amount amount to much of an upgrade?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not experienced at all with Turntables. I just started Researching recently so I can purchase my First Turntable.
From the information I've gathered there has been Improvements in the Material used and Design of the Plinths. Also Tonearm Design.
Would these things be worth the Upgrade for you, I can't answer that.
Turntables I've been researching

Project Debut Carbon

Project

Rega Planar 3

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd just use the tt unless something is overtly wrong....do the semi-automatic functions work correctly? My Technics SL1200mk2 I've used (and maintained) for almost 40 years now. Perhaps a new cartridge or stylus if in order due to wear.

Assume you still have your record collection rather than starting over? I stopped buying vinyl long ago myself (altho I still have my collection).

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
This is crazy mazer! I just bought the black Pro-Ject Carbon off of Crutchfield this morning! I will miss the semi-automatic function of the technics, but that's cool. I should have it Wednesday. I am going to look at your other ones you posted, but I already made my choice. ha!

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Yeah, the Technic's semi-auto functions work pretty nicely. I do not have a vast record collection. Sold a lot of it when I was broke 20 years ago. I still buy records though. I have about 100. Maybe in a couple years, it'll be double that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, the Technic's semi-auto functions work pretty nicely. I do not have a vast record collection. Sold a lot of it when I was broke 20 years ago. I still buy records though. I have about 100. Maybe in a couple years, it'll be double that.
You going to compare the two tables? What cartridge(s) will you use? At least you'll get more exercise with a manual tt :)

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I am not going to compare. I already disconnected the Technics. The Pro-ject Carbon comes with an Ortofon 2M Red. The video Mazer posted says it is a $100 cartridge. Whereas my two Audio Technica's are probably nothing special.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am not going to compare. I already disconnected the Technics. The Pro-ject Carbon comes with an Ortofon 2M Red. The video Mazer posted says it is a $100 cartridge. Whereas my two Audio Technica's are probably nothing special.
More curious if you can tell the difference between the table/arm combo than the cartridge but without same cartridge in each that could be hard to do....FWIW that Ortofon you can easily upgrade by moving up the ladder with their stylus selections....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just for Future purposes
Got up to about 1:10 before turning it off....he mentioned PRaT (pace, ryhthym and timing) as a benefit of a base (nothing against a good base, but PRaT is a bullshit audio term).

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Got up to about 1:10 before turning it off....he mentioned PRaT (pace, ryhthym and timing) as a benefit of a base (nothing against a good base, but PRaT is a bullshit audio term).
There's one better than PRAT.. Its called micro dynamics where the rotational platter speed is constantly changing due to stylus drag. ;)

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Yep. Got it! Also ordered the Q up tonearm lifter from Amazon. I got an empty, open Amazon bag in my mailbox! So I called Amazon and tried to get them to expidite another one. The fastest they would ship it is 2-day. I wanted it overnighted, but that is best they would do. It says it will arrive Monday. Monday is not 2-day!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis