Tuba folded horn HT subwoofer build

Quickley17

Quickley17

Audioholic
What's really grinding my gears more than anything today is that I can't see your pictures for another 4 hours or so.

majorloser

majorloser

I love bubinga, but it may get to be a little expensive for a project that large. It's a fairly rair wood. Jim Salk told me it's getting more difficult to get in larger sheets. You may be able to get some curly or quilted maple for cheaper.

Or maybe some birdseye maple

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Where will it go and what decor are you trying to integrate it in??

Matt34

Matt34

I love bubinga, but it may get to be a little expensive for a project that large. It's a fairly rair wood. Jim Salk told me it's getting more difficult to get in larger sheets. You may be able to get some curly or quilted maple for cheaper.
Yeah, it's almost double the price of most of the other wood types.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Great build!

I love the curly veneers, but they can get a little too busy. I have all cherry furniture in my bedroom, but the Salk Curly Cherry SongTowers clash. Mind you it is beautiful wood and I really love the proportions of the SongTowers, but you might want to stand up your veneers in the room they are going in before you laminate it.
I know you don't want to hear this, but if you haven't laminated before, you should really build a simple box and get the cheapest veneer you can find and have a trial run at it.

By the way, what adhesive did you use for your build? Does it dry rigid?

Thanks,
Kurt (who would hire out the veneer work)

Matt34

Matt34

:rolleyes:
Great build!

I love the curly veneers, but they can get a little too busy. I have all cherry furniture in my bedroom, but the Salk Curly Cherry SongTowers clash. Mind you it is beautiful wood and I really love the proportions of the SongTowers, but you might want to stand up your veneers in the room they are going in before you laminate it.
I know you don't want to hear this, but if you haven't laminated before, you should really build a simple box and get the cheapest veneer you can find and have a trial run at it.

By the way, what adhesive did you use for your build? Does it dry rigid?

Thanks,
Kurt (who would hire out the veneer work)
Thanks for the insight. I was thinking along the same lines of keeping the design simple and somewhat neutral. My issue is the room it's going in now isn't going to be its permanent home and the oak furniture is going get sold here soon in a garage sale.

I used PL premium adhesive and yes it drys rigid and expands to fill gaps up to 3/8". I have it all over my frickin hands still. :D

http://www.amazon.com/Henkel-828472-Polyurethane-Construction-Adhesive/dp/B0002YV81Y

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Thats really cool, Matt...

How would you rate the difficulty of the build...?

majorloser

majorloser

Yeah, it's almost double the price of most of the other wood types.
Can you get decent sized sheets that will cover each side? It would be an awesome looking piece of furniture if you can.

Quickley17

Quickley17

Audioholic
Finally saw the pictures. That thing is awesome. I want to recommend that you call it something cool, but "Hermit Crab Shell" just doesn't quite capture the intent and I can't think of anything else...

You mentioned that you were going to temporarily use a Behringer A500 amp. What do you plan to use for the permanent amplification for this guy?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
IMO, Its not ideal for a first build. Compared to other builds I've seen maybe a 8/10 due to all the angles.
Matt, can you please share what the overall rough dimensions are for this build (H x W x D)?

Thanks. I have so very little experience with woodworking, but I have a few friends who are very adept. I even talked with a friend of such a friend recently, and we were thinking of having him build two at the same time (no specific model in mind yet). I tell him what to do, he makes the cuts and does the woodwork. We split the costs.

However, this sub is so big, I think it can only go behind the back row. I guess that could be weird, and perhaps a bad thing? Hm. Anyways, thanks.

edit: btw, I vote for maple. :D (if it's not too bright/reflective for a PJ setup that is).

Last edited:
Matt34

Matt34

Matt, can you please share what the overall rough dimensions are for this build (H x W x D)?

Thanks. I have so very little experience with woodworking, but I have a few friends who are very adept. I even talked with a friend of such a friend recently, and we were thinking of having him build two at the same time (no specific model in mind yet). I tell him what to do, he makes the cuts and does the woodwork. We split the costs.

However, this sub is so big, I think it can only go behind the back row. I guess that could be weird, and perhaps a bad thing? Hm. Anyways, thanks.
36x24x36, the width (24") can be adjusted from 18-30". An experienced woodworker won't have a problem with this. My buddy and I are certainly not the best but we follow directions fairly well.;)

majorloser

majorloser

Finally saw the pictures. That thing is awesome. I want to recommend that you call it something cool, but "Hermit Crab Shell" just doesn't quite capture the intent and I can't think of anything else...

You mentioned that you were going to temporarily use a Behringer A500 amp. What do you plan to use for the permanent amplification for this guy?
In most guys homes, a good name for this sub would be...

"Divorce Proceedings"

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis