Trying to solder something

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
That solder and flux paste is connecting two or more wires together, not a solid rod of something like you have as the whole rod or that end anyhow needs to reach temps where that solder will melt and form solidly. While your joint may seem like solid, I seriously doubt it is, That rod is a heatsink, heat from the soldering gun will be transferred or will attempt to the full length of that rod. Good luck on getting a good joint. Home Depot should have the right clamp for you.
Big difference soldering wires together and to a 1/2" dia rod.

ps. that center will rust away in time.
Thx. I'll get the clamp then. I was going to torch it with a mini torch though, not a soldering gun. I knew better, so I wasn't going to attempt that. I would imagine that if the core rusts, it wont affect much.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I disconnected it before the thunderstorm last night.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
btw, the op said above: "This all might be hocus pocus or it might be real". Did I say I for sure believe it? Not saying I don't. I just want to try it if you don't mind. I need to. Doc has me on 2 diff (sometimes 3 as needed) drugs that is the max he would prescribe unless I got on biologics, which are more expensive drugs that are, at the moment, way beyond my deductible. Ridicule away there nice, friendly brothers.
First of all, let me say I am sorry for anyone who suffers from severe autoimmune diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis (RA). I suffer from another autoimmune disease, anklyosing spondylitis (AS). Both diseases are often treated with similar drugs – prednisone and methotrexate. I had both (at various doses) for years. Anyone who takes high dose prednisone has my sympathy & respect. It ain't a picnic. If you take prednisone, you already know what I mean.

Any ridicule I posted in this thread was not aimed at you, but at that paper you linked. Please understand that.

For the last 3 years, I was able to get completely off prednisone while getting Humira. The co-payments for Humira were huge, but it did make my life better. (I have nothing but ill will and even hate for the maker of Humira, AbbVie, and their hundreds of lawyers. Don't get me started on that subject.)

For what it's worth, Humira is no longer protected by its patents. It is being replaced by a number of generic or biosimilar drugs. They should all cost a lot less. A year ago, last spring, I got this email from my rheumatologist. FYI:
You are receiving this letter because you receive Humira. We want to update you on a possible change to your Humira pharmacy benefit. If your specialty pharmacy benefit manager is CVS Caremark, they have mandated that all covered patients change from Humira to a biosimilar medication, Hyrimoz, as of April 1, 2024. Hyrimoz is nearly identical to Humira, and has been approved by the FDA as an equally safe and effective version of Humira. This means that Hyrimoz is expected to work as well as Humira for your autoimmune condition. There is a copay assistance program for Hyrimoz if your costs are significant.
I don't know if any of that is useful info for you, and I hope you already know about this.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I disconnected it before the thunderstorm last night.
Unfortunately it is clear to me that the care of your disease has been well below current and accepted standards.

What you are referring to as Biologics are known as DMARDS. These should be used early in the disease and not late. Even in my time in practice, that was the standard of care. The evidence is overwhelming that they prevent disabling disease.

Further, RA is a multisystem disease and not just a disease of your joints.

I honestly think that if you continue to be symptomatic, which you say you are, then you need further medical advice to receive the current standard of care.

In any long term serious disease you need to make sure you are receiving current standards of care. Sleeping on a grounded mat is not part of the standard of care for RA.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Unfortunately it is clear to me that the care of your disease has been well below current and accepted standards.

What you are referring to as Biologics are known as DMARDS. These should be used early in the disease and not late. Even in my time in practice, that was the standard of care. The evidence is overwhelming that they prevent disabling disease.

I honestly think that if you continue to be symptomatic, which you say you are, then you need further medical advice to receive the current standard of care.

In any long term serious disease you need to make sure you are receiving current standards of care. Sleeping on a grounded mat is not part of the standard of care for RA.

You presume a lot. I never said it was a joint issue even though it affects joints..

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I mean you presume to know a lot about my situation.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
First of all, let me say I am sorry for anyone who suffers from severe autoimmune diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis (RA). I suffer from another autoimmune disease, anklyosing spondylitis (AS). Both diseases are often treated with similar drugs – prednisone and methotrexate. I had both (at various doses) for years. Anyone who takes high dose prednisone has my sympathy & respect. It ain't a picnic. If you take prednisone, you already know what I mean.

Any ridicule I posted in this thread was not aimed at you, but at that paper you linked. Please understand that.

For the last 3 years, I was able to get completely off prednisone while getting Humira. The co-payments for Humira were huge, but it did make my life better. (I have nothing but ill will and even hate for the maker of Humira, AbbVie, and their hundreds of lawyers. Don't get me started on that subject.)

For what it's worth, Humira is no longer protected by its patents. It is being replaced by a number of generic or biosimilar drugs. They should all cost a lot less. A year ago, last spring, I got this email from my rheumatologist. FYI:
I don't know if any of that is useful info for you, and I hope you already know about this.
Thx for the comments Swerd. My ra doc wants to put me on one of those drugs after open enrollment when I am able to get off of this plan and get on one with a higher deductable. I get labs done every 3 months and I am due now I think. So I am hoping that the next lab work (not this next one so much) might show some lowered markers.
I will post again in the near future, but so far so (VERY) good. I am no expert in anything (except making medical deliveries!) but some geniuses here seem to not know that the human body has electrical connections. Brain, nerves, etc. So it is not something I would toss out as a possibility if I personally didn't need to try something.
And yeah, I can definitely tell from the weather report if a thunderstorm is afoot.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
And yeah, I can definitely tell from the weather report if a thunderstorm is afoot.
With RA, you can probably feel a rainy day before it happens. Low atmospheric pressure affects my joints too, in a bad way.

Many MDs won't believe patients who say this. There probably is not good data to support what I said. I wonder if anyone has studied two groups of 100 or more patients with and without arthritis to see which group was better at calling rain the next day. I wouldn't be too surprised if the arthritis patients predicted things better.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I get your point, but I'd like to point out that arthritis and RA are two different animals. I have had ra for I think 15 or 16 years and I've never noticed anything with the weather.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

With RA, you can probably feel a rainy day before it happens. Low atmospheric pressure affects my joints too, in a bad way.

Many MDs won't believe patients who say this. There probably is not good data to support what I said. I wonder if anyone has studied two groups of 100 or more patients with and without arthritis to see which group was better at calling rain the next day. I wouldn't be too surprised if the arthritis patients predicted things better.
It does, and the illness is commoner in damp climates. The reason is unknown.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I mean you presume to know a lot about my situation.
You said you had RA. As I said it is a multi system illness. So it does affect other systems than joints.

However patients with immune disease can have a positive rheumatoid factor. That does not mean they have RA, but may have. On the other hand patients with joint problems and arthritis have RA as a rule. In any event a positive rheumatoid factor is a marker for immune disease, and more likely to be associated with RA than not. This is what makes medicine complicated. Treatment these days is usually a DMARD as a first line option.

I stress that you need competent care, and you need to avoid the loony stuff, like this grounded mattress. At the moment alternative medicine practitioners are causing huge problems and needless deaths.

As it happens this issue had a large segment on the BBC evening news today. That are drawing up charges against one of these practitioners for causing unnecessary death.
It was a case of off the wall advice to an insulin dependent diabetic.

They are also drawing up legislation to curb this nonsense. And well they should. I have personally seen people come to great harm from it.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
You said you had RA. As I said it is a multi system illness. So it does affect other systems than joints.

However patients with immune disease can have a positive rheumatoid factor. That does not mean they have RA, but may have. On the other hand patients with joint problems and arthritis have RA as a rule. In any event a positive rheumatoid factor is a marker for immune disease, and more likely to be associated with RA than not. This is what makes medicine complicated. Treatment these days is usually a DMARD as a first line option.

I stress that you need competent care, and you need to avoid the loony stuff, like this grounded mattress. At the moment alternative medicine practitioners are causing huge problems and needless deaths.

As it happens this issue had a large segment on the BBC evening news today. That are drawing up charges against one of these practitioners for causing unnecessary death.
It was a case of off the wall advice to an insulin dependent diabetic.

They are also drawing up legislation to curb this nonsense. And well they should. I have personally seen people come to great harm from it.
In addition to your comments about properly treating auto-immune diseases, such as RA, I'd like to add this. Most of the quack medicine and false information is driven by extremely high prices in the USA for modern medicines such as Humira for RA. They are effective, but cost so much that many patients simply cannot afford to pay.

I took Humira for the last 3+ years. My out-of-pocket costs, beyond health insurance were:
$5,331 in 2020​
$6,330 in 2021​
$6,920 in 2022​
$7,254 in 2023​

This isn't chump change. Fortunately, I could pay that, but there are many who can't. I blame this entirely on greedy big pharma and the politicians in Washington that they own.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

In addition to your comments about properly treating auto-immune diseases, such as RA, I'd like to add this. Most of the quack medicine and false information is driven by extremely high prices in the USA for modern medicines such as Humira for RA. They are effective, but cost so much that many patients simply cannot afford to pay.

I took Humira for the last 3+ years. My out-of-pocket costs, beyond health insurance were:
$5,331 in 2020​
$6,330 in 2021​
$6,920 in 2022​
$7,254 in 2023​

This isn't chump change. Fortunately, I could pay that, but there are many who can't. I blame this entirely on greedy big pharma and the politicians in Washington that they own.
You are right about that. Many drugs are priced out of sight. The DOAC anticoagulants are commonly prescribed and yet still cost a fortune. Apixaban the DOAC of choice is over $20.00 a pill so over $40.00 per day.

That should be going generic, but big Pharma is fighting it all the way.

However biologics are a different issue, they are very expensive to develop and manufacture as a rule, and quite a few have a limited application.

In the US we approve them based on effectiveness. In the UK they have NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence ). They take a cost effective approach to drug approval and the number of people helped versus benefit is taken into account.
So this does put a value on a life, no doubt about it. So if an expensive drug helps relatively few it won't get approved.

That leads to endless money raising appeals for treatment outside the UK.

There is no easy answer to this one.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
You are right about that. Many drugs are priced out of sight …

However biologics are a different issue, they are very expensive to develop and manufacture as a rule, and quite a few have a limited application …

When I mentioned the obscenely high prices of Humia, I promised myself that I wouldn't go deeper into that outrage. Well, I lied, my rant is about to begin. (Apologies to @Squishman who began this thread by asking about how to solder a ground wire to a ground spike.)

I've attached two opinion pieces (below) concerning the pricing tactics of AbbVie (the manufacturer of Humira) and it's extremely obscene profits. They say it better than I can.

I'll sumarize:
  • Approved for sale by FDA in 2002, Humira patent protection was supposed to end by 2016.
  • When the patent protection expires for synthetic chemical drugs, low cost generic drugs may be sold. Instead of generic drugs, biological drugs, such as Humira, have what the FDA calls biosimilars. Some 6 to 8 biosimilars have been approved for sale in the USA by the FDA. They have been sold for years in the UK & Europe.
  • AbbVie filed a so-called patent thicket – more than 100 patents – about 60 of which were approved. Most if not all of them were trivial changes in formulation or dosage/usage.
  • This patent thicket was used as AbbVie filed a patent infringement lawsuit in the USA against three of the biosimilar manufacturers. An out-of-court settlement was eventually announced before a judge could rule. That settlement delays sale of biosimilars in the USA to at least 2023. The judge said this settlement was legal. The out-of-court settlement also allows AbbVie to collect royalty payments from the biosimilar manufacturers.
  • How is blocking competition not a monopoly? How is extending the patent expiration for years beyond its expiration date legal, much less not anti-competetive?
  • Around the same time as their patent thicket legal offensive, AbbVie raised prices several times. As of 2020, the “street price” (the price that health insurance companies pay plus patient copay) is said to be as high as $6,000 per dose. In early 2017, it was said to be $3,000 to $3,500.
  • All in all, AbbVie made $114 Billion since 2016 by gaming the U.S. Patent System for years.
  • AbbVie delayed competition for its blockbuster drug Humira, at the expense of US patients and taxpayers.
  • In contrast, when the UK National Health System approved Humira biosimilars, their annual cost for that one drug plummeted to 20% of the previous years. Other European nations had similar results.
  • How is this not price gouging?
  • How is blocking competition combined with excessive price increases not a travesty of the law?
  • The USA must alter the patent and drug pricing laws that allow AbbVie to continue to do this. There is no reason to believe that AbbVie, or other drug manufacturers, won’t try this again in the future.
  • We need a major reform of health care insurance. We need single payer national health insurance that does not favor the drug manufacturers and private health insurance companies.
  • And finally, we need to reverse legislation that presently prohibits federal government agencies from directly negotiating prescription drug prices with manufacturers or distributors. This should include Medicare, Medicaid, US Military & Public Health Service active duty and retirement, Veterans Administration, and any other federal health care systems.
There … [Rant Over]

Attachments

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Fine. But how do I fix the solder?
You need a much hotter torch, like the kind used for plumbing. If you're trying to solder the wire onto the stake after it was pounded in, the heat is being lost to the ground and even if it's a Copper plated steel rod, the mini torch isn't hot enough.

Now, on to the theory- if you're not electrically grounded, the RF will have a high impedance path through you but if you ARE grounded, you'll be a more efficient antenna.

Also, remember that touching electronics when your body is grounded puts you at risk of shock or electrocution in the event that an internal grounding problem exists, or if the outlet isn't wired correctly (reversed/lifted neutral or open ground).

I knew someone who had to retire from the local PD because of his RA and then, he had a heart transplant and they put him on anti-rejection meds. His RA went into remission and the next time I saw him, he was working at the Sears across the hall from where I worked and he seemed younger than when I met him. We had met when I was about 15 and he was one of the cops who recovered a bike that had been stolen from me and he started working at that store about 15 years later.

RA is an immune disease and as TLS mentioned, you're close to MAYO. If you're constantly stressed, find ways to relieve those. Make note of everything you eat and drink, with the quantity of each. Look into the inflammatory effects of foods and you might find that it's possible to deal with this without a lot of drugs.

highfigh

highfigh

These bogus claims about RA and electricity are as old as the hills. In the words of the late Click and Clack:- BOGUS!.
Click & Clack, The Tappet Brothers? They're both gone?

highfigh

highfigh

You are right about that. Many drugs are priced out of sight. The DOAC anticoagulants are commonly prescribed and yet still cost a fortune. Apixaban the DOAC of choice is over $20.00 a pill so over $40.00 per day.

However biologics are a different issue, they are very expensive to develop and manufacture as a rule, and quite a few have a limited application.

In the US we approve them based on effectiveness. In the UK they have NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence ). They take a cost effective approach to drug approval and the number of people helped versus benefit is taken into account.
So this does put a value on a life, no doubt about it. So if an expensive drug helps relatively few it won't get approved.

That leads to endless money raising appeals for treatment outside the UK.

All I can say is:

Everyone who blocks reasonable drug prices needs to experience the need for them, after their insurance has been canceled.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis