Trying to solder something

jinjuku

jinjuku

OP can get a grounded sleeping mat for $60. Just get an outlet tester for $12 to also and make sure the outlet has ground.

jinjuku

jinjuku

BTW I'm not bagging at all with someone that is suffering from R.A. The issue is that the paper that was linked has zero peer review that I'm aware of.

The image in the link was just for a reference and doesn't represent a 'best practice'. Even if a $60 mat is placebo, if the OP gets a better nights sleep out of it I'm not going to argue.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Right at the top of that article

As a library, NLM provides access to scientific literature. Inclusion in an NLM database does not imply endorsement of, or agreement with, the contents by NLM or the National Institutes of Health.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Ooops. Forgot the photo.
Is that a solid copper rod?
I seriously doubt you can just solder to it as you'd have to get the temperature of that spot hot enough to bond to the rod.
If you are hell bent to do it, use a clamp approved for grounding rod clamping. It will have a way of attaching your grounding wire to that clamp.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Right at the top of that article

As a library, NLM provides access to scientific literature. Inclusion in an NLM database does not imply endorsement of, or agreement with, the contents by NLM or the National Institutes of Health.
Yes, the authors of that article are all alternative medicine BS artists. Hardly a decent neuron or synapse to spread between the lot of them.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Both @jinjuku and @mtrycrafts have replied to your question about soldering a ground wire to a copper post. Neither gave you the answer you wanted to hear. Both said soldering is not the way to go, use a grounding spike clamp instead. Both also suggested that you shouldn't try DIY electrical work. At best it might be harmless, and at worst it might be a recipe for disaster.
Recipes for Disaster.png

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I have the same answer for doing DIY medical treatments –don't go there. @TLS Guy said the same thing, only he doesn't suffer fools as well as I can (sometimes ;)).

You have rheumatoid arthritis (RA). My sympathies. It is a serious and painful auto-immune disease. And it needs proper treatment.

You have also seen a physician about RA. Is that a board certified rheumatologist? In the last 20-30 years there has been significant development of new & effective treatments for RA as well as other auto-immune diseases. Some are injected monoclonal antibodies that are expensive. At least one of them, Humira, has recently come off of patent protection and several less expensive generic substitutes are now available in the USA. They have been well tested and they are safe & effective. They've been used for years in Europe and the UK. None of these treatments cure RA, but they can relieve it's most serious symptoms. Ignore them at your own risk!

Finally, about that so-called paper you mentioned about earthing. It's garbage. Just don't go there! No one knows what causes auto-immune diseases. But I absolutely guarantee you that is has nothing to do with ungrounded electricity, stray electromagnetic radiation, or anything else like that. I could go on and on about what garbage that paper is, but I'll stop here.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I do see an ra physician. Why are you still not helping me solve my soldering issue?
Hey Squish, had to type in a response before I started laughing any harder !

google / youtube I'm sure will provide your answer ..........

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

... No one knows what causes auto-immune diseases. But I absolutely guarantee you that is has nothing to do with ungrounded electricity, stray electromagnetic radiation, or anything else like that. I could go on and on about what garbage that paper is, but I'll stop here.
Quantum entanglement?

:D :D :D

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan

I’m sorry he has that debilitating medical condition with no cure but that is what fraudsters prey upon.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
There is noise everywhere. This whole precept of yours is totally loony and nonsensical. Instead of wasting your time trying to implement totally lunatic advice and theories, you need how to learn to assess data. If you don't you will be prey to every lunatic scheme espoused and there are more of those now almost be the hour.
In that so-called paper, at the end, is a section called Disclosure. Authors G Chevalier and JL Oschman are independent contractors for EarthFx Inc., the company sponsoring earthing research, and own a small percentage of shares in the company.

Richard Brown is an independent contractor for EarthFx Inc., the company sponsoring earthing research. The authors report no other conflicts of interest.

All three are contractors for EarthFix, Inc. Two of them own stock in the company. The authors clearly have a financial conflict of interest.

This also speaks volumes about the Journal of Inflammation Research. They have low standards of what they will publish. They should be called the Journal of If It's Neatly Typed, We'll Publish It.

Last edited:
Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General

Laugh at my health issue. That's very nice. Wonderful guys here. No RA attacks. So far so good. They are usually a daily occurrence.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
btw, the op said above: "This all might be hocus pocus or it might be real". Did I say I for sure believe it? Not saying I don't. I just want to try it if you don't mind. I need to. Doc has me on 2 diff (sometimes 3 as needed) drugs that is the max he would prescribe unless I got on biologics, which are more expensive drugs that are, at the moment, way beyond my deductible. Ridicule away there nice, friendly brothers.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I’m sorry he has that debilitating medical condition with no cure but that is what fraudsters prey upon.
Didn't cost me jack squat. Well less than $20 at Menards and the mat was $30.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Laugh at my health issue. That's very nice. Wonderful guys here. No RA attacks. So far so good. They are usually a daily occurrence.
I WAS NOT laughing at your health issues, rather at some of your 'procedural cure attempts' but I was being serious with regards to answering your question as to 'how to solder' !

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Is that a solid copper rod?
I seriously doubt you can just solder to it as you'd have to get the temperature of that spot hot enough to bond to the rod.
If you are hell bent to do it, use a clamp approved for grounding rod clamping. It will have a way of attaching your grounding wire to that clamp.
Oh sorry mtrycrafts and Mikado. There a lot of posts bent at ridicule. I did miss that you were actually providing help! I bought something called "Instant Solder" today for $5. It is a solder and flux paste. Says "just apply and heat". Comes with a brush. Never heard of it. I'll see how that goes. I want to do something outside of a clamp first so I can slide heat shrink over it after I'm happy with it.
Not solid copper. Steel core.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Oh sorry mtrycrafts and Mikado. There a lot of posts bent at ridicule. I did miss that you were actually providing help! I bought something called "Instant Solder" today for $5. It is a solder and flux paste. Says "just apply and heat". Comes with a brush. Never heard of it. I'll see how that goes. I want to do something outside of a clamp first so I can slide heat shrink over it after I'm happy with it.
Not solid copper. Steel core.
That solder and flux paste is connecting two or more wires together, not a solid rod of something like you have as the whole rod or that end anyhow needs to reach temps where that solder will melt and form solidly. While your joint may seem like solid, I seriously doubt it is, That rod is a heatsink, heat from the soldering gun will be transferred or will attempt to the full length of that rod. Good luck on getting a good joint. Home Depot should have the right clamp for you.
Big difference soldering wires together and to a 1/2" dia rod.

ps. that center will rust away in time.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis