Trying to Set-up new system

a/v moron

a/v moron

Junior Audioholic
Well it appears there is only upscaling through HDMI. With component the upscaling module is grayed out. I can't change anything. Well, I guess I will give this up till tomorrow. New season of "24" is starting in a little while. I can watch it as is for now. Probably have some more questions tomorrow.

Thanks again Buckle-meister for taking time out to help....

Adam

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
a/v moron said:
Well it appears there is only upscaling through HDMI. With component the upscaling module is grayed out.
Argh! :( I cannot understand this. :mad: Looking at page 2 of your receiver's manual, it states that you can get: Analogue video to HDMI up-conversion (blah blah blah) and up-scaling (blah blah blah) capabilities for Monitor-out.

Going by page 13, Monitor-out (even titled as that on the receiver!) jacks are available for composite, s-video and component!

EDIT: In addition, on page 22, the manual states "The analogue video signals input at the COMPONENT VIDEO jacks and ouput at the S-VIDEO or VIDEO jacks cannot be converted to 480p/1080i/720p". But no mention is made about not being able to send out an upscaled picture from the component output jacks. It was this that made me think this maybe possible.

Can you try something for me? Play a DVD through the receiver (using any connection) and take HDMI from the receiver to the t.v. Remove your cable box connection to your receiver.

Are you able to use HDMI and get a picture from your t.v. without any error messages? If you are, we would've proved that the 'HDMI problem' lay with your cable box. This isn't necessarily a bad thing since as far as I am aware, you can still run a high definition signal through component cables (my receiver for example can upconvert and send out a high definition signal, and my receiver doesn't have any HDMI jacks). If this was all true, you could then simply use component cables from your cable box to your receiver, let the receiver do the upscaling, and output to the t.v. via HDMI.

Last edited:
a/v moron

a/v moron

Junior Audioholic
Robbie,

Thanks again. I will try this as soon as I get home this evening. With your help I am sure this thing will be up and running correctly very soon.

Buckle-meister

a/v moron said:
With your help I am sure this thing will be up and running correctly very soon.
I hope so. :eek: I'll be able to stay up fairly late tonight (got tomorrow off work (also note our timezones)) so I'll keep an eye on this thread. :)

a/v moron

a/v moron

Junior Audioholic
WOW!

I didn't even notice where you live. Well, nothing I am trying to do is as half as important as a man turning 31 (looked at your profile)!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Have fun on your day off.....

a/v moron

a/v moron

Junior Audioholic
Robbie,

I know you are probably fast asleep, but here's the latest. I think you are totally correct.

1) I hooked the HDMI out on receiver to HDMI input on television.
2) I hooked component video from cable box to receiver.

Well. It FREAKIN WORKS..... woooo-hoooo:D

Yesterday, When I told you that the HDMI Upscaling on the receiver menu was grayed out (Which it is), I didn't notice that all of the cable channels are automatically being upscaled to 1080i. So, I think everything is correct now. I would still like to see the cable company get this HDCP handshaking thing resolved, but I can live with this set-up for now.

One last thing. The picture still sucks. I think it is my actual cable feed coming into the house though. Someone told me about a cable "booster" that is available. Do you think that this would clean up the image on the tv? I thought my old TV was just a piece of crap, but now I am thinking that it was alright just has a bad feed to it. Any thoughts?

Again, I can't thank you enough for all of your help.

Happy Birthday, Adam

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
If you are upscaling a low resolution image, like a standard 480i 4:3 image, then it may never look good, but if the problem is really too low a signal level from the cable company just call them up and ask them to check it. They are usually accomodating on that (saves them alot of customer complaints).

If that doesn't do it, you can buy video amplifiers just about everywhere: Radio Shack, Home Depot, Lowes, online electronics/HT shops, etc. I can't give any recommendations on which ones are good though because my signal strength is strong and I don't currently have a need for an amplifier.

Buckle-meister

a/v moron said:
It FREAKIN WORKS..... woooo-hoooo:D
Excellent. :) Ok then, a couple of points to note:

1. Referring to page 45 (point 3) of your receiver's manual, you should be able to see what signal is 'incoming' to the receiver and what is 'outgoing' from it (by changing the upscaling value from page 88 'HDMI upconversion'). Note that when playing DVD's, you should find that you won't be able to upconvert, even if you have told the receiver to do so, because DVD's are copy-protected (if you try using an old VHS player if you have one you should find that you can upconvert to anything though just to prove to yourself everything works as normal).

2. Assuming your picture isn't fuzzy with DVD's, it sounds like something might be up with your cable box or the signal you receive. However, if you never used to have this problem with your picture (if DVD's aren't fuzzy, it'll prove that the connection from receiver to t.v. is ok), then it still sounds like a setting somewhere might need to be fixed. Let us know and I'm sure we'll all try to help. :)

3. In the event that you don't already know, the best analogue cable to use for video (from worst to best) is composite, then s-video, then component. You previously asked if there was a loss of picture quality between HDMI and component cables. The answer is that it depends. Some folk say that HDMI gives a superior picture. Others say they can't tell the difference. Some even prefer component to HDMI. I think it may depend upon the particular pieces being connected. Only you can decide, though to make a valid judgement, you should calibrate your t.v. input to each first.

4. In terms of audio, it's generally preferable to use either a digital coaxial or digital optical cable. Both will give identical quality of sound, though most people prefer to use a coaxial cable as it tends to be a more robust connection.

a/v moron said:
The picture still sucks. I think it is my actual cable feed coming into the house though. Someone told me about a cable "booster" that is available. Do you think that this would clean up the image on the tv? I thought my old TV was just a piece of crap, but now I am thinking that it was alright just has a bad feed to it. Any thoughts?
Refer to point 2 above. If your t.v. picture sucked before, then perhaps it is the cable signal thats not very good after all. As for boosters, I can't help I'm afraid. I've no experiance with them. Sorry.

I'm really happy you seem to have got things going. If you've any other questions, just fire away. We're all here to help. :)

EDIT: I've thought about what I wrote regarding not being able to upconvert DVD's and think I might be mistaken. I cannot with my receiver, but then, my receiver doesn't have HDMI jacks. Since HDMI sends an encrypted signal and cannot be 'hacked' as you know due to the HDCP 'handshake', it may well be that you can upconvert DVD's. The easiest way to find out is simply to try and take a look at the Audio/Video Information screen to see what is 'incoming' and 'outgoing'. :)

One last point; If when watching DVD's you notice the picture isn't quite right (maybe the top few lines of the picture are a bit skewed for example), try turning off the Video Processing of your receiver (page 88 of the manual). In some cases this can interfere with a signal (this is why THX recommends that it isn't used for DVD's).

Enjoy. :)

Last edited:
a/v moron

a/v moron

Junior Audioholic
Hello, and thanks again.

1) The signal coming in from the cable box is 1080i.
Correct. The DVD's are not being upconverted.
2) The picture looks great with DVD's.
3) All connections are Component with the exception of the HDMI out on the receiver. (to the television)
4) I am getting another digital coaxial cable tonight.

The picture on my old tv was not good in the spot where my new tv is now. I moved the old tv to the bedroom and it seems much better. :eek:

I am getting in touch with the cable company to have them come out and check the signal strength. I do have quite a few runs coming into the house.
My internet connection is cable, and 6 other outlets.

One more thing. When I watch a fast action DVD, there is no "pixelization" to speak of. But when I watch a fast action television program (i.e. Basketball) it is a blurry mess. Even on the HD channels. Could this have something to do with cable strength of signal also?

a/v moron

a/v moron

Junior Audioholic
Just a thought, but why do they have upconverting DVD players if the DVD's are copy protected....

How do you quote just a portion of another post? When I try using the bottom quote button on a post, it quotes the whole thing. I have tried highlighting just the portion I want to quote. (I am new to this forum thing)

Last edited:

Buckle-meister

a/v moron said:
The signal coming in from the cable box is 1080i. Correct. The DVD's are not being upconverted. The picture looks great with DVD's. All connections are Component with the exception of the HDMI out on the receiver. (to the television) I am getting another digital coaxial cable tonight.
Perfect. With the above connections, you are able to extract the very best picture and audio currently possible. :cool:

a/v moron said:
The picture on my old tv was not good in the spot where my new tv is now. I moved the old tv to the bedroom and it seems much better. :eek:
I do not have cable so I may not be understanding things right, but I am under the impression that cable t.v. is obtained by taking a cable from a wall outlet through a cable-box and on to either a t.v. or in this case, a receiver, correct? If so, if you get a better picture in one room using one wall outlet than another room with another wall outlet, it points to the cabling in the house being a bit off. Others may be able to help you out here better than I though. :eek:

a/v moron said:
When I watch a fast action DVD, there is no "pixelization" to speak of. But when I watch a fast action television program (i.e. Basketball) it is a blurry mess. Even on the HD channels. Could this have something to do with cable strength of signal also?
It sounds like it might be. I know what I am about to propose involves a bit more messing around with cables, but it would allow you to close down on what the cause of your fuzzy picture is:

1. You already know that there's nothing wrong with your t.v because DVD's play perfectly. If you take a set of component cables directly from your cable-box to your t.v. (remove the HDMI from receiver to t.v. just to take this out of the equation) is the picture still fuzzy? If it is, then you would know that it's definitely either the cable-box itself, or the signal from it that is giving you a fuzzy picture. In other words, it couldn't be the receiver causing the problem.

2. If the answer to 1 is that the picture seems ok, then the issue is with the receiver. In this case, I would first recommend turning off the video upconversion (i.e. change the setting to 'through') and see if that resolves things. As I noted in my previous post, sometimes the receivers video processing engine can cause some funny effects to occur.

a/v moron said:
Just a thought, but why do they have upconverting DVD players if the DVD's are copy protected....
I've just checked my own DVD player's manual which does upconvert. It only does so through the HDMI jack which of course is a secure connection. I've never used this function myself as I don't have a high definition screen so there's no point to me upscaling a picture, but I've still got a hunch that DVD's might be able to be upconverted through an HDMI connection. Are you absolutely sure you can't do this (not saying there's anything wrong with anything here; I'm pretty sure your DVD player, receiver and t.v. are all working fine)?

a/v moron said:
How do you quote just a portion of another post? When I try using the bottom quote button on a post, it quotes the whole thing. I have tried highlighting just the portion I want to quote.
You're almost there. :) Simply quote the entire message and then delete the parts you don't want manually. Make sure that the two sets of square brackets 'hold' all that you wish to quote.

a/v moron

a/v moron

Junior Audioholic
Buckle-meister said:
I've still got a hunch that DVD's might be able to be upconverted through an HDMI connection. Are you absolutely sure you can't do this?

Well, I am not absoluetely sure. My DVD is run to my receiver via component. (it doesn' have HDMI). So, if you go to signal info. on receiver's on screen menu it shows --- -> 480P under the Analog Resolution (Page 45 of Receiver manual)

Buckle-meister

a/v moron said:
My DVD is run to my receiver via component. (it doesn' have HDMI). So, if you go to signal info. on receiver's on screen menu it shows --- -> 480P under the Analog Resolution (Page 45 of Receiver manual)
Hmm. Assuming you are using the HDMI cable from the receiver to the t.v. though, isn't there video signal information for the 'HDMI signal' or 'HDMI Resolution'?

Also, I forgot to add about quoting people; if you want to quote multiple parts, you will need to copy the two sets of square brackets for each quote. For example ('quote' spelt wrong deliberately):

[QUOTTE=youdonotactuallyneedanamehere] Text you want to quote here [/QUOTTE]

For the first quote and:

[QUOTTE=butyoucanleaveitinifyouwant] Text you want to quote here [/QUOTTE]

For another.

a/v moron

a/v moron

Junior Audioholic
Buckle-meister said:
Hmm. Assuming you are using the HDMI cable from the receiver to the t.v. though, isn't there video signal information for the 'HDMI signal' or 'HDMI Resolution'?

I don't think so (I am at work right now, but I will recheck).
If I am remembering correctly nothing is shown under signal info., with the exception of the Analog Resolution.

The HDMI Signal & Resolution show no signal information.
The same can be said when looking at this info for the cable connection.
Only the Analog Resolution shows 1080i -> 1080i.

Is this making any sense? :confused:

Buckle-meister

a/v moron said:
I don't think so...If I am remembering correctly nothing is shown under signal info., with the exception of the Analog Resolution.

The HDMI Signal & Resolution show no signal information.
The same can be said when looking at this info for the cable connection.
Only the Analog Resolution shows 1080i -> 1080i.

Is this making any sense? :confused:
Hmm. It seems strange because looking at page 45 (right hand side of the page) of your receiver's manual, the analogue information should only display the incoming/outgoing signals from the component jacks.

The first 1080i would be correct as you are currently inputting your cable-box to the receiver via component cables, but the existance of the second 1080i initially seems odd since you are not using component cables 'out' from your receiver to the t.v.; you're using HDMI. Unless the receiver is simply letting you know that 1080i 'is available' from the component monitor out jacks should you so wish to use it.

As far as I am aware, you should see something in the HDMI 'out' portion of 'HDMI signal' and 'HDMI resolution' since you are taking a signal 'out' from your receiver to the t.v. by this means.

Remember, the table of audio/video information is 'live'. In other words, it'll update itself as you change settings. to determine if you are actually upconverting DVD's etc, you may need to be actually playing one at the time and not simply have the player connected and switched on.

Let me know how it goes mate. :)

a/v moron

a/v moron

Junior Audioholic
I may not be telling you correctly, as I am not in front of it right now. I will check this as soon as I get home. Thanks again. (also thanks for the posting quote's help)

Buckle-meister

a/v moron said:
I will check this as soon as I get home. Thanks again. (also thanks for the posting quote's help)
No worries.

One last thing. You may or may not know that the green 'light' next to people's names lights up when they are online, and goes out when they're not. Just in case you post and are waiting for an answer from someone who has logged off or switched off their computer. Also note that just because the light's on doesn't mean there's anybody home (how true...:eek: :D). For example, I was logged on all day today, but I was listening to music at one point...you get the picture. ;)

a/v moron

a/v moron

Junior Audioholic
Buckle-meister said:
One last thing. You may or may not know that the green 'light' next to people's names lights up when they are online, and goes out when they're not.

Man, you are just full of usefull information. :D

a/v moron

a/v moron

Junior Audioholic
Well, it appears that my HDMI cable is doing absolutely nothing from my receiver to my tv. I also had component vid cables hooked up between the 2. When I unplugged the comp vid cables the audio stayed on, but the video drops out.:(
I guess this is why the signal info screen is only showing the analog upconversion.
Sorry to keep bothering....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis