Towers vs Bookshelf

M

miggs

Audioholic Intern
I am thinking of downsizing my towers to bookshelf due to space. My mains are EMP 55ti and I am thinking of going Wharfadale Evo 4.2. I don’t want to loose sound quality and or soundstage in my 5.1 set up. Do you all have an opinion of Evo’s? Is this a good choice? I will plan to get a center to match.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
While I'm not familiar with either Speaker, usually the first thing that suffers in that type of switch is Dynamics. Towers can usually handle more power and have a bit higher output capabilities.

Curious how you plan to save space with this change. Towers and bookshelves both take up a similar space...

Are you thinking of trying to wall mount? Stick Stand Mount Speakers in a cubby?

Please remember that placement and proper setup is the key to good SQ (along with a good Speaker). Yet even the absolute best Speaker can be ruined and rendered ineffective by poor placement.

That said, your concern about Soundstage and Imaging may be well placed. So much depends on how you will use them.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I like good bookshelf speakers with a subwoofer. Peace and goodwill.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm also curious how the bookshelf will save space....unless it's being placed in an actual bookshelf? My bookshelves on stands take up about the same space as my towers....my towers are a bit taller, tho.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I am a fan of towers generally. Unless there’s a real benefit here, the 55ti is a good speaker and I’d keep em.

D

dolynick

Audioholic
I like towers too... But I will admit that with some recent upgrades the bookshelf & sub system in my office, with all it's imperfections, is now sometimes the most attention grabbing system in the house. I don't feel any sense of loss of dynamics, but it's also a smaller room and doesn't get called upon to play as loud usually.

I would think the results you get will depend on the particular bookshelves, the other equipment and a whole lot on the room and set up. Like the others have said though, bookshelves on stands aren't usually really all that much less of footprint in the room - maybe a little less visually though.

M

miggs

Audioholic Intern
I was planning to place the bookshelf on top of a wider media cabinet. I won’t have room for the wider cabinet and the towers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am thinking of downsizing my towers to bookshelf due to space. My mains are EMP 55ti and I am thinking of going Wharfadale Evo 4.2. I don’t want to loose sound quality and or soundstage in my 5.1 set up. Do you all have an opinion of Evo’s? Is this a good choice? I will plan to get a center to match.
You will lose sound quality.

F

Focus SE

Junior Audioholic
I'm a Fan of HSU CCB-8s and they are fabulous across the Fronts in my Atmos System.

If you can afford more $ then check this video out:

Erin's Audio Corner

The MoFi speakers are definitely a winner.
From someone that has little interest in getting to this point of capabilities of speaker measurements. I thank you for the post. I am in the 99.999% of listeners that enjoy good sound but have no equipment to measure what they are hearing. Am I considered an audiophile if I am seeking good sound, or am I considered an audiophile if I have the ability to electronically measure equipment. Or is an audiophile an electrical engineer that likes his job? this is the first video I've seen that actually explains what the measurements can indicate a speakers capabilities. (no, I haven't looked at all let alone very hard). I'm curios how much an adequate set of measuring equipment would cost?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
From someone that has little interest in getting to this point of capabilities of speaker measurements. I thank you for the post. I am in the 99.999% of listeners that enjoy good sound but have no equipment to measure what they are hearing. Am I considered an audiophile if I am seeking good sound, or am I considered an audiophile if I have the ability to electronically measure equipment. Or is an audiophile an electrical engineer that likes his job? this is the first video I've seen that actually explains what the measurements can indicate a speakers capabilities. (no, I haven't looked at all let alone very hard). I'm curios how much an adequate set of measuring equipment would cost?
Let's not derail @miggs thread, but I'll quickly answer you here. (If you need more explanation /advise please start another thread.) Being an Audiophile is different to many people. Some of us just believe it's someone who strives to have the best sounding system they can afford, and tries to optimize it's setup. It has nothing to do with being an Engineer, nor having measuring equipment. It's about enjoying the equipment and the sound. (From whatever sources you like.) The Kippel equipment (and software) used in that video I linked to is very, very expensive; and to my knowledge not any of the staff here at Audioholics has bought one. (They use a different method as per the reviews.) Erin went out on a limb and bought that gear. I don't know, but I'd be surprised if there's been much of a monetary return on that investment.

For "home" users I suggest, if you want to get into measuring your installation, try REW => Getting Started . All you need is a computer / laptop, the free REW (Room EQ Wizard) software, and a USB Microphone with a calibration file. (About $80 USD.) Good luck if you give it a try.

I hope this is helpful.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
I was planning to place the bookshelf on top of a wider media cabinet. I won’t have room for the wider cabinet and the towers.
Just ensure the speakers are placed wide enough for 30 degrees. Shorter viewing distances it might be good. Longer ones usually not.
I see quite often people mistakenly place speakers directly beside the tv without giving thought for the angle. 9 times out if ten it's too narrow.

I trust this helps

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
How big is this room? How loud are you used to listening to. I've had larger speakers my whole life and trying to go to smaller speakers didn't last a minute beyond that of a bedside or desktop and right in my face, and then figure in the subs. Subwoofers help bookshelf speakers a lot.

I never used the space my stereo and speakers takes up, anyway. Even when the whole family shared this living room the sound system was not in the way.

Unless this is just an underlying case of upgraditus, it is wiser not to fix what isn't broken if it is already what you like.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I went to book shelf many years ago, not because they sounded good which they did with a sub, but due to an injury in my neck. My amp and TT are still in their boxes since we downsized in March, waiting on a close friend to either install them or buy them. I just can't left "heavy or budge heavy anymore. And I know the wife can't do it. So its book shelf speakers and a hunt for a Class D amp..

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis