Need Advice on New Surrounds. What is good to pair with my PSB's?

J

juryman

Junior Audioholic
I think "outside" just means further apart than the fronts.
Yes. Apologies, that's what I meant. Being a novice at this, wasn't sure if that made a difference. How far back of the seats? The sectional will be right up against the back wall unfortunately. No choice in the matter.

J

juryman

Junior Audioholic
That's what I thought too reading most of this thread.
Seems like a lot of fuss for rear surrounds that barely make a peep 98 percent of the time......
Apologies for the "fuss" @isolar8001. But as I said in another post, if Im putting holes in my wall, I want to be sure. My time is limited when it comes to research and so I rely on sites like this to give me an honest opinion.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Apologies for the "fuss" @isolar8001. But as I said in another post, if Im putting holes in my wall, I want to be sure. My time is limited when it comes to research and so I rely on sites like this to give me an honest opinion.
Are you sure you know what rear surrounds are ?
You only mention 5.1 in your posts...yet you say you need rear surrounds....which are for 7.1.

5.1 in your situation with a couch against the rear wall is the preferred configuration for you.
There is nowhere to put rear surrounds in your case, so 5.1 is the only configuration.
So yes, get a decent set for that. (surrounds)
The RSL's would do just fine.

Nothing wrong with a good 5.1 system.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Surrounds should be more on the side walls than rear walls. On rear wall with couch right up to wall, not something I'd do. How about the ceiling if your avr can support 3.1.2 setup?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Ignoring the Atmos tops locations, this is 7.1. If we omit the rear surrounds, it leaves the recommendations for 5.2.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Surrounds should be more on the side walls than rear walls. On rear wall with couch right up to wall, not something I'd do. How about the ceiling if your avr can support 3.1.2 setup?
True...I didn't see until now that he was going to put them in the wall above the couch...certainly not ideal.
Probably need to see a pic of this room.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
True...I didn't see until now that he was going to put them in the wall above the couch...certainly not ideal.
Probably need to see a pic of this room.
Agreed. Back wall for 5.1 is not great. Also not great for 7.1 considering the close proximity to the speaker.
Pics or it didn’t happen. lol.

J

juryman

Junior Audioholic
Are you sure you know what rear surrounds are ?
You only mention 5.1 in your posts...yet you say you need rear surrounds....which are for 7.1.

5.1 in your situation with a couch against the rear wall is the preferred configuration for you.
There is nowhere to put rear surrounds in your case, so 5.1 is the only configuration.
So yes, get a decent set for that. (surrounds)
The RSL's would do just fine.

Nothing wrong with a good 5.1 system.
AGAIN, Im a novice at the terminology. By rear surrounds, I meant location. My surround sound speakers in a 5.1 SYSTEM, I THINK can only be placed on the rear wall where the couch is backed up against. I only have one side wall, the other side is open to a bar area. Ill send a drawing or pics.

J

juryman

Junior Audioholic
Problem with ceiling is I have ductwork above the area where in-ceilings should go. Per a contractor I had look at it. So unless there are super thin in-ceiling speakers, its a no go.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Ill send a drawing or pics.
That would help...you might even be a candidate for smaller speakers on wall mount swivels so they could be aimed easily where they should be.
Something small like these.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Problem with ceiling is I have ductwork above the area where in-ceilings should go. Per a contractor I had look at it. So unless there are super thin in-ceiling speakers, its a no go.
There are low profile on-ceiling speakers I think....is the ceiling too low for that or ?

Do you have a receiver that is Atmos capable?

Where in the ceiling did you scope out placement? Ceiling/atmos speakers need not be directly overhead IIRC think they go forward of seating some with just one pair.. @William Lemmerhirt probably knows that off top of his head as to what angles if that's a possibility to clear ducting.

J

juryman

Junior Audioholic
That would help...you might even be a candidate for smaller speakers on wall mount swivels so they could be aimed easily where they should be.
Something small like these.

Bookshelf speakers are a no go. I have that already in PSB Imagine Mini's on stands that dont work anymore because of new furniture. I have WAF to consider.

J

juryman

Junior Audioholic
There are low profile on-ceiling speakers I think....is the ceiling too low for that or ?

Do you have a receiver that is Atmos capable?

Where in the ceiling did you scope out placement? Ceiling/atmos speakers need not be directly overhead IIRC think they go forward of seating some with just one pair.. @William Lemmerhirt probably knows that off top of his head as to what angles if that's a possibility to clear ducting.
Dont have Atmos receiver. As I said, had someone look at ceiling from an opening in furnace room and where holes would need to be cut, ductwork is in the way.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Dont have Atmos receiver. As I said, had someone look at ceiling from an opening in furnace room and where holes would need to be cut, ductwork is in the way.
I'd not bother with in ceiling other than Atmos anyways....

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I have a pair of JBL Studio 220 speakers mounted on wall brackets on either side of a sofa in one of my systems with the speakers directed towards the sofa on both ends at ear level (the sofa is against the wall). Due to space constraints, the speakers are quite close to the ends of the sofa which is not ideal.

I think these are the brackets I used:

https://www.videosecu.com/ms40b/

The Studio 220s are surprisingly good speakers for the money. This setup works much better than the in-ceiling speakers I have in a different system in which the sofa is against the wall (the in ceiling speakers were in place when I bought the house and I'm planning to replace them with bookshelf speakers at ear height angled towards the sofa)

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Bookshelf speakers are a no go. I have that already in PSB Imagine Mini's on stands that dont work anymore because of new furniture. I have WAF to consider.

Bookshelf is just a term.
Here's what we mean by small speakers on swivel wall mounts...the speakers all show now (your front is an "unfortunate" area with the wall having openings on each side.)
The wife should not mind if rears were mounted and done well. (hopefully)
They can be angled and turned towards the couch.

But, of course, you can always just install in-wall speakers in and hope for the best.

61y1qd4QIAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The RSL's at least can be angled somewhat.

J

juryman

Junior Audioholic
Bookshelf is just a term.
Here's what we mean by small speakers on swivel wall mounts...the speakers all show now (your front is an "unfortunate" area with the wall having openings on each side.)
The wife should not mind if rears were mounted and done well. (hopefully)
They can be angled and turned towards the couch.

But, of course, you can always just install in-wall speakers in and hope for the best.

View attachment 69244

The RSL's at least can be angled somewhat.

Yes. Understood. The room is not ideal as a media room. It was built 20+ years ago to serve as a multi-purpose room mainly for the kids. But now its mine, sort of, and Im trying to make the best of it.

Unfortunately, tried hanging Axiom's on the back wall years ago. Another attempt at something similar is a no go.

Have my eye on the RSL's. Everyone is saying they are great speakers and would pair well with my PSB's.

Def Tech makes similar speakers that I think would also work.

J

juryman

Junior Audioholic
Ok. Since the comments about rear wall placement of surround speakers in a 5.1 setup as not being ideal, what if the speakers were dipole or bipole in their makeup? Would that be something to consider?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How about just going with 3.1 ? Some rooms/waf just aren't friendly to surrounds sometimes :) What do you expect the surrounds to bring particularly?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis