Top 10 Subwoofers in the World!!!

K

kini

Full Audioholic
My choice would be the Monoprice 8" sub. Why it is not on the list is a mystery to me. I can't imagine how you left it off.

I'm sooooooooo disappointed in you.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
But here's more food for thought... If using 4 SVS PB12-NDS's (total of $3100), the system will have even more SPL than a single FW18.3 and do it with the same distortion level and more even room coverage :)

SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer Measurements and Analysis — Reviews and News from Audioholics
Perhaps, but which would you rather have, four subs that look just okay spread around your room, along with all of the cables and power cords, or one big sub that looks awesome? I'd rather have one (maybe two if absolutely necessary) big subs. I thought for a bit I'd rather have two little ones, but experience shows me that when it comes to subs the bigger the better.

As for other features, like super-quality appearance, amps, connections, equalization, ease of set-up, remote control, completeness of integration, all of that matters. You can't be #1 with just loudness, even if you say so. For most homes, every sub discussed here is loud even at 20Hz, and since bass is omnidirectional with moderate distortion they sound a lot alike too. There's more to a product than just a couple of parameters. The SVS is a great sub at a reasonable price, but it's not for everyone.

And this silly thread is becoming tiresome quickly.

R

ridikas

Banned
The SVS PB13-Ultra in piano black gloss is as good of a looking sub as any on the market today at any price. Its amp, connections, EQ, and ease of set up is as good as it gets. Who does it better (not equal)? The only thing lacking is a remote. Definitely not a big deal :)

P.S. I just want to clarify regarding the JL subwoofers... For smaller cabinet, sealed units, they are incredible performers. Some of the best at any price.

Last edited:
F

funky waves

Junior Audioholic
I think you may be looking at the old 18.3, the new 18.3 information can be found here; 18.3

Btw; You will notice the pricing includes delivery.

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
Stupid

I was going to post some I felt were left off this list and some omitted...but then I remembered I have a job, kids and not enouigh patience to put all of my opinions on the rediculousness of this.....oh my brain hurts.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Why doesn't my sub make the list OP? I feel slighted. :mad:

I built that thing with my own bare hands(with the help of amazing power tools) on my old apartment balcony.

No Seaton, No Funky Waves, No JL Audio, No JTR, No Danley, Then you try to take tests like 4 years old and make them your basis.

What's with your hate for sealed subs? :rolleyes:

OP link us your legit build thread please. Until you make your own subs or do your own proper measurements leave top 10 lists to the experts.

R

ridikas

Banned
Your Tiger is a good music subwoofer for smaller rooms. Be proud of it :) I don't hate sealed subs, but if I'm making the ultimate list, it has to be full of ultimate subwoofers, right?

The ones you've listed are very expensive and 2-3 less expensive HSU's, or 2-3 less expensive SVS's would equal, or better (performance wise) a single expensive sub. And most of the time even do it at a lower price.

All excellent subs by the way!

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
Why@

For some damn reason I keep coming back and reading this, it is like watching a car wreck. I feel dumber now, and I think I am getting a headache. Furthermore, you have made me want a glass of whiskey at 3:00. SOAB!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You didn't set a price point Mr.Fail. This thread is the definition of fail. Look it up, am sure Wikipedia will be updating soon with a link to this thread.

B

BM1

Audioholic Intern
I'd put the Paradigm Sub 2 and JL Gotham above anything on that list. PB-13 Ultra is nice but not in the same league as either the Sub 2 or Gotham. It's definitely a better value from a price standpoint but not a better sub.

This thread doesn't make sense without price categories.

R

ridikas

Banned
Why would I need a price set? This thread is for the ultimate subwoofers, at any price.

I don't think anyone has failed more than you today.

R

ridikas

Banned
BM1, is the SUB2 ($9K) better than 4 SVS PB13-Ultra's ($8K)? I don't think so... This thread is open to any price, so long as the performance justifies it. Now if no combination of less expensive subwoofers could equal the performance of the SUB2 and stay under $9K, then absolutely, the SUB2 would be on the list!

But unfortunately that's not the case :(

B

BM1

Audioholic Intern
Comparing 4 of one sub against 1 of another is not an apples to apples comparison; that would be comparing a subwoofer array to a single sub. If that's the case and money is no object like you said, you would need to compare 4 Sub 2s to 4 PB-13 Ultras.

Again, the reason you need to set price categories is so we don't have people in here saying, "well you can stack 4 such and such subs and be louder than this sub for less money" like you just did.

R

ridikas

Banned
The beauty of this list is that the price sets itself naturally :p

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
good lord. A top 10 subwoofers thread might be cool, but this thread is definitely not that. What a letdown.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I think the funniest part is that it's all complaints and yet here everyone is humoring this guy with 50+ posts in this meaningless thread and almost 40 in the AVR thread.

Let it die guys, just let it die :D

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I think the funniest part is that it's all complaints and yet here everyone is humoring this guy with 50+ posts in this meaningless thread and almost 40 in the AVR thread.

Let it die guys, just let it die :D
You're so right, but mea culpa! I was trying to talk some sense into him. Wasted effort.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis