Top 10 Subwoofers in the World!!!

R

ridikas

Banned
It's that time again. I did it with speakers and now let's take a look at some subwoofers. The subwoofer has to perform equally well for movies and music and be able to cover an area of at least 2000 cubic feet.

1.) SVS PB13-Ultra (Is there a better sub on the planet?)
2.) HSU VTH-15H
3.) Rythmik FV15HP
4.) SVS PB12-Plus
5.) HSU VTF-3 MK 4
6.) SVS PB12-NSD
7.) HSU VTF-2 MK 4
8.) Rythmik F15HP
9.) Epik Empire
10.) Epik Legend

Am I right? Hmmm?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just your "opinion" doesn't count as a ranking. Sorry, but they are right.

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
How many of the subs on your list have you actually heard in person? If you are going by what you read on forums, realize many people are biased to giving positive reviews to gear they own even if they do not realize it. Some good subs, but definately not the 10 best.

R

ridikas

Banned
Gene, how come you guys never test/review any BOSE speakers? I know that BOSE doesn't send out equipment for reviews, but I'm sure an end user would be more than willing to loan out his/her speakers for a few weeks.

It would be very fun and interesting to see how they perform :)

R

ridikas

Banned
Anyone know how the Velodyne EQ-Max 12 and EQ-Max 15 compare to what's on the list? Has any testing been done on these subs yet?

The rest of their line consists of small sealed cabinet designs with 8", 10" 12" and 15" drivers. There's no possible way that they could ever compete against the listed subwoofers. They're also very expensive.

I also never understood the love for JL. Yup, they're some of the most well built and looking subwoofers, but they're all in small sealed cabinets. There's no possible way for them to have the SPL, nor the low level distortion then what's on the list. The prices are outrageous.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
To think that I could have saved so much money. Apparently, the PB12-NSD is better than the PC13-Ultra. I feel so foolish...

R

ridikas

Banned
Adam, the Ultra was already covered on the list with the SVS PB13-Ultra. They are similar in performance and distortion. They can be substituted and there's no need to clutter the list by including both. Same goes for the HSU equivalent Outlaw subwoofers, LMF-1 EX and LMF-1 Plus.

On another note, I would also be interested in seeing some test results on the Klipsch SW-112 and SW-115 :)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I also never understood the love for JL. Yup, they're some of the most well built and looking subwoofers, but they're all in small sealed cabinets. There's no possible way for them to have the SPL, nor the low level distortion then what's on the list. The prices are outrageous.
JL Audio prices reflect their build quality, and the fact that they are sold in B&M stores. Their prices are also negotiable, whereas the internet direct guys don't negotiate, so price-wise you'd need apples to apples. As for small cabinets, I assume you've never seen a 212 or a 213. Small they aren't.

Did you forget about the Paradigm SUB 2? I'd rather have that than any sub on your list.

R

ridikas

Banned
The SUB 2 is nice, but the price is ridiculous. For that money, one can get 4 SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofers and they would simply destroy the SUB 2. Therefore, it doesn't belong on the list :)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The SUB 2 is nice, but the price is ridiculous. For that money, one can get 4 SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofers and they would simply destroy the SUB 2. Therefore, it doesn't belong on the list :)
I would much rather have one SUB 2 than four SVS PB13s, because in any real-world home you'll never get close to the limits of one of those subs, so any discussion of one "destroying" another is the sign of someone who has never used a big sub. Am I guessing correctly? And the SUB 2 has some rather interesting attributes beyond sheer output and low distortion. As do the JL212s and 213s, or the Velodyne DD18+, or the Funk Audio 18.0 and 18.3.

And not everyone is limited by your budget considerations.

So, what's your favorite subject in high school?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Usually a list such as this is accompanied by some reviews, ANY kind of data, or at least a coherent thought. You have offered none of these things.

R

ridikas

Banned
I don't know, that makes very little sense. If you'll never use the full potential of a SUB 2, or the SVS PB13-Ultras, then you don't have a proper home theater room to begin with. So in that case, one should be looking at the less expensive models on the list. On the other hand, if one can afford a $9000 SUB 2, then it's ridiculous to believe that he/she cannot build, or dedicate a proper home theater space.

I think SPL and distortion are two of the most important attributes in a subwoofer. Sure, the Q is important, but everything on that list is flat as a ruler. What about EQ? That can be done via XT32, etc.

Even two PB13-Ultra subwoofers will give the SUB 2 a run for it's money. More even room coverage, etc. And they will do it at less than half the price!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis