Top 10 Subwoofers in the World!!!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know, that makes very little sense. If you'll never use the full potential of a SUB 2, or the SVS PB13-Ultras, then you don't have a proper home theater room to begin with. So in that case, one should be looking at the less expensive models on the list. On the other hand, if one can afford a $9000 SUB 2, then it's ridiculous to believe that he/she cannot build, or dedicate a proper home theater space.
Well, now I have more confidence you've never used a big sub. Just one big sub in my room, which has a lot of volume, is capable of making me quite nauseous with a 20Hz test tone, and it isn't even breaking a sweat. In fact, the damned thing is actually a little annoying, in that it has so much power it dislodged some spackle covering a nail head on my room's ceiling, and the ceiling is about 18 feet high at that point. I'm not sure how to cost-effectively repair it. What the hell would I do with more power? Loosen the nails in the studs?

Your post seems to reflect the difference between experience and study hall spec benchmarking. Just like a higher horsepower car isn't always better, there's more to a subwoofer's value than the distortion measurement at 20Hz for a 110db output.

R

ridikas

Banned
A good subwoofer should have at least the following:

- High SPL
- Low distortion, proper cabinet, shorting rings in the motor, etc.
- Low Q, no peaks, proper cabinet size, etc.
- Low port noise
- Protection from overload, amp, bellow tuning, etc.
- Sturdy cabinet, no vibrations, rattling noises, etc.
- Powerful enough amplifier, no overheating.

Am I missing anything else? The subwoofers listed do all of the above and do it better than anyone else.

If we're talking purely cosmetics, or size limitations, then sure: Velodyne, JL, Paradigm, etc. would all qualify. But this list is purely for performance only.

R

ridikas

Banned
Garcia, your sub is on the list. Take a deep breath buddy :)

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
If we're talking purely cosmetics, or size limitations, then sure: Velodyne, JL, Paradigm, etc. would all qualify. But this list is purely for performance only.
I am pretty sure that they all qualify on their performance merits, too. Those companies all make great subwoofers whether you think they're worth their money or not.

Now the distortion spectrum across all subwoofer frequencies. Note that the f212 (and this is just one subwoofer operating), has 5% THD+N or less at all frequencies from about 13 Hz on up. That is really incredible performance. So far, the best we have ever tested.
JL Audio Fathom f212 Subwoofer - Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
So that distortion reading was done at 100dB, 1 foot? The SVS PB13-Ultra was tested at 105dB and at 2meters. In the ported configuration it has a significantly lower distortion down to 20Hz. Of course, below tuning the distortion jumps up, but that's irrelevant.

JL is destroyed, it's not even fair...

SVS PB13-Ultra Subwoofer Measurements and Analysis — Reviews and News from Audioholics
That's awesome, but until they're both tested by the same people in the same manner, it isn't even worth speculating. The bottom line is that both are excellent performers and that cannot be denied, but probably hit different niches in the market.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
JL is destroyed, it's not even fair...
It looks like Ed Mullen has a new customer. But maybe the yet-to-be-tested Funk 18.3 is better. I wondered about that one when I was shopping.

Are you just teasing us? You keep saying prices are ridiculous, but I've noticed your user name lines up well by just adding two letters: ridik[ul]as.

R

ridikas

Banned
You guys are way too over defensive, just because your subwoofer didn't make my list. It's just my opinion after all. I've actually owned Velodyne and Klipsch subwoofers in the past. I'm definitely not here to knock on anyone's subwoofers.

How about a challenge: Who can post evidence and prove that I missed a subwoofer worthy of inclusion?

R

ridikas

Banned
The Funk 18.3 better be one amazing performer at that price! It has to equal, or beat three VTF-15H's, or two SVS PB12-Plus's :)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
How about a challenge: Who can post evidence and prove that I missed a subwoofer worthy of inclusion?
Worthy by whose standards? Yours? That's what we're having a problem with (in addition to this being a rather inane thread, but I'm bored today).

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Who can post evidence and prove that I missed a subwoofer worthy of inclusion?
Already done. You simply dismiss it, and then try to blame any disagreement on people being butthurt their subwoofer didn't make your awesome list.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Already done. You simply dismiss it, and then try to blame any disagreement on people being butthurt their subwoofer didn't make your awesome list.
Actually, I'm butthurt (cool term) that he doesn't like the JL212 and I don't even own one! Nice sub though.

I'm also so hooked on my sub's remote that I'm not sure any sub should be on the list without a remote. How's that for being ridik[ul]as?

F

funky waves

Junior Audioholic
The Funk 18.3 better be one amazing performer at that price! It has to equal, or beat three VTF-15H's, or two SVS PB12-Plus's :)
The 18.3 now has improved performance overall than the old version of 18.3 that used the TC Sounds driver/passives, equal overall distortion numbers, equal output under 20hz and up to 4db more maximum output over 25hz. The old 18.3 was tested along with the PB13 ultra here;
SVS PB13-Ultra 15 Hz tune - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
The old 18.3 here;
DIY TC Sounds LMS-5400 18" + 2x18" PR 200L - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Those tests show an average 5-6db difference, so the new 18.3 would have 6-10db difference. fyi 6db is what you gain with two co located subwoofers. Short version; Yes it is an amazing performer.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
i love my rythmiks. i do. and they are in a whole league to themselves i think when you factor in the cost. but as far as cost is no object dream subs, i think a lot of people here are right - it's funk.

R

ridikas

Banned
Funky Waves, thanks for your reply. Your 18.3 subwoofer is a beast!!! One 18" woofer has an area about 10% larger than two 12" woofers. On the other hand, two 15" woofers have an area 28% larger than a single 18" woofer.

I'm assuming that with shipping, your subwoofer will be close to $4K.

From measurements, the 18.3 has slightly higher output than two PB13-Ultra's, with similar distortion levels. Two PB13-Ultra's are also $4K. Both are excellent choices, with a choice of either more SPL, or more even room coverage.

What if we compare with two HSU VTF-15H's ($2000pr.), or Rythmik FV15HP ($2900pr.)?

A pair (or even three at that price) of the 15 inchers will no doubt have more SPL, but possible at a higher distortion level.

You have a great product there :)

What amplifier are you planning on using? And just curious, why did you chose the Pro instead of the LMS woofer?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis