Top 10 Current Speaker Manufacturers in the World!!!

R

ridikas

Banned
So after very careful consideration (my spreadsheet for different criteria points was HUGE!):

I want to add one more criteria point. For the company to qualify, they primarily must have exceptional performance, BUT... A well established company should also offer lower priced speakers ($5000 and below) with the same attention to performance specs.

Unfortunatey I have to disqualify expensive offerings from Pioneer TAD, Goldmund, Magico, YG Acoustics, etc.

Here is my new and final list of the top 5 current loudspeaker manufacturers in the world:

1.) Revel Speakers
2.) KEF
3.) Paradigm
4.) Dynaudio
5.) PSB Speakers

:)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
LOL:D

I was going to start a new thread "Top Ten Speakers In The Universe".:eek::D

Which speakers would ET buy?:D

Which speakers would Aliens buy?

And don't forget Predators too.:D
I would imagine the Predators, being a scientifically based civilization, would be objectevists, whereas the Alien species, being a beast of pure instinct, would fall into the subjectivist camp. As far ET, I'm guessing it would probably go for a swank pair of headphones. The only sure thing is that the Klingons would definitely be Klipsch guys.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Here is my new and final list of the top 5 current loudspeaker manufacturers in the world:

1.) Revel Speakers
2.) KEF
3.) Paradigm
4.) Dynaudio
5.) PSB Speakers

:)
OK, I approve and will sign off on that list.:D

Did we look @ Focal speakers?

The Focal 1028be is +1.75/-1.84dB from 200Hz-10kHz.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/focal-electra-1028-be-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

Too bad Salk & Philharmonic don't have a bigger world wide distribution. If they did, they would make it to Stereophile & Soundstage & HTM & S&V, etc.:D

Last edited:
R

ridikas

Banned
I did look at the 1028 Be, but it's literally the only speaker in the entire Focal range that measured like that. So I just don't know...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I did look at the 1028 Be, but it's literally the only speaker in the entire Focal range that measured like that. So I just don't know...
Good point. I have to agree with you there.

So are we using Stereophile, HTM, S&V, & Soundstage / NRC?

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
How about:

Wilson Audio
ATC SCM
SoundLab
Epiphany Audio
Dynaudio
Dunlavy
Martin Logan

R

ridikas

Banned
Yup, I've been using all of those resources, plus auditions. I've been also looking into distortion levels from NRC.

Magnepan sounds and measures NASTY!!! So does Wilson and Martin Logan!!! Dunlavy is no longer in business.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How about:

Wilson Audio
ATC SCM
SoundLab
Epiphany Audio
Dynaudio
Dunlavy
Martin Logan
Wilson Audio & Martin Logan measure rather poorly. But they may sound great to a lot of people, however.

Here is one ATC speaker, and it measured like - 3.5dB @ 3kHz & 8kH:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/atc-scm-11-loudspeaker-measurements

I didn't see any measurements on the Soundlab (I wonder why?:eek:), but from reading the Pros and cons section, I get the impression that they measure rather nasty too.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/sound-lab-3-loudspeaker-electrostatics-speakers-pro-con

Last edited:
R

ridikas

Banned
Let's list some negatives for each manufacturer, so we can rank the list better and maybe even eliminate a few more.

Revel Speakers:

- All speakers have rear firing ports. This is unfortunate. Front firing ports are not only less forgiving of room placement, they most of the time even sound better.

- Looks, looks, looks! In this day and age, speakers with sharp corners are not very pleasing. While the Ultima2 line looks flawless, the Performa line needs a facelift. I would like to see slightly curved cabinets and piano black finish as an option.

- All speakers are now made in Mexico :(

KEF:

- Now and has been a Chinese company for nearly 20 years. All of their speakers (except for the Reference line) are made in China.

- Unfortunately the R-series and the Reference Model 201/2 have rear firing ports.

Paradigm:

- All loudspeaker enclosures are now made in China. The speakers themselves and the drivers are still assembled in Canada.

- Conflicting looks. On the one hand, the cabinets look flawless, are curved, and offer piano black finish. On the other hand, they have cheap looking and made aluminum face plates, feet, midrange/tweeter chambers, etc.

- High end technology ONLY in the Signature series, i.e. beryllium tweeters, neodymium magnets, etc. Even the Studio series is plain Jane. No copper end caps on the poles, no shorting rings, no underhung motors, no beryllium tweeter diaphragms, no neodymium anywhere, etc.

Dynaudio:

- Hits against performance. While the Focus series and above are on average +/-2dB, a lof ot the lower end models are +/-2.5dB to +/-3dB.

- High end technology only in the Focus series and above. And even there it's limited to only a beryllium tweeter magnet and possibly an underhung midrange/mid-woofer motor?

- All speakers have rear firing ports :(

- Contour and Confidence series monitors all have the tweeter below the woofer. I'm not a fan of this. Possibly shows poor design choices and a sacrifice. To correct a downward angled lobe, the monitors had to be fliped upside down.

PSB Speakers:

- Limited selection, with only the Synchrony and the Image lines.

- All speakers are made in China.

- Synchrony line is not available in piano black finish.

- Synchrony monitors all have tweeters on the bottom :(

Last edited:
R

ridikas

Banned
Regarding Philharmonic Audio... I hate to say anything negative, as all of the guys involved there are great designers! And the company has tons of integrity. But even the most expensive ribbon/electrostatic tweeters (distortion and performance wise) are not even a fraction of a simple $40 Seas/Vifa dome tweeter.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Let's list some negatives for each manufacturer, so we can rank the list better and maybe even eliminate a few more.
Perhaps you mean to say “Let me list some negatives for each manufacturer, so I can rank…

I can assure you that I don’t want to rank speaker makers, and I suspect others here also don’t. Personally, I can’t see any good reason why you want to make a top 10 list. Are you David Letterman? Do you want to buy 10 pairs of speakers? Are you so insecure that you need people to recognize the popularity or fame of a product you buy? Do you live so far away from any stores that listening to any of these is impossible? Agreed, few stores ever had all these makers under one roof, but why would you consider speakers that you not only can’t listen to, but may have difficulty purchasing?

I could go on, but the point of why you would create rankings, even as a decision process, is beyond me.

Now on to other things you said that disturb me because they suggest your ignorance about speakers is coloring your ideas before you (or anyone else) can listen to them.
- All (Revel, KEF, etc.) speakers have rear firing ports. This is unfortunate. Front firing ports are not only less forgiving of room placement, they most of the time even sound better.
What’s wrong with rear firing ports? If they generate any turbulence noise, you are less likely to hear if the ports are in the rear. Front firing might be a problem, but rear firing ports demonstrates thoughtfulness buy the speaker designers.
- All speakers are now made in Mexico or China :(
Why is that a problem? Price will be lower if they are made outside of the USA. If the products are well made, which matters more, price or national pride? That’s not such a clear choice.
- High end technology ONLY in the Signature series, i.e. beryllium tweeters, neodymium magnets, etc. Even the Studio series is plain Jane. No copper end caps on the poles, no shorting rings, no underhung motors, no beryllium tweeter diaphragms, no neodymium anywhere, etc.
These are design features that may or may not make an audible difference in the speaker. We can all read a features list as well as you. Why are you repeating them without further comment? Calling it "high end technology" is window dressing that explains nothing.

Copper end caps, shorting rings are known to cause less distortion in larger cone drivers. How much less distortion, at what price?

Beryllium tweeter diaphragms are little different than other metal domed tweeters. As an alloy, they have only a small (~4%) amount of beryllium in them. Other than that, they are little different than other metal domed tweeters. Some are good and others are not.

A magnet is a magnet. Why is a neodymium magnet in a speaker motor better?

All these features come at a price. Some may be worth it and others may not, but generalizing does not help.
- Contour and Confidence series monitors all have the tweeter below the woofer. I'm not a fan of this. Possibly shows poor design choices and a sacrifice. To correct a downward angled lobe, the monitors had to be fliped upside down.
Sounds like more speculation to me. Why are you not a fan? What evidence suggests this actually is a poor design? If the crossover is designed with the tweeter mounted lower than the woofer, it can work well.
Regarding Philharmonic Audio... I hate to say anything negative, as all of the guys involved there are great designers! And the company has tons of integrity. But even the most expensive ribbon/electrostatic tweeters (distortion and performance wise) are not even a fraction of a simple $40 Seas/Vifa dome tweeter.
If you really hate to say anything negative why did you? Your statement about the performance of ribbon tweeters vs. $40 Seas/Vifa dome tweeters clearly indicates you haven’t heard any good examples.

You display minimal knowledge while you use words that suggest you are an expert. Someone has to call you on this. Maybe I'm grouchy because I'm hungry and should eat my dinner, but I'd be happier with your efforts if you clearly called them what they are – opinions.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
called them what they are – opinions.
And highly subjective by nature. I thought ranking by sales volume, customer service, warranty claims, distribution/dealership world wide coverage sort of things perhaps could be more objective, again just by nature. The way it's being done really means nothing in a serious sense, but somewhat entertaining, and that's why I read on regardless.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
because John Krutke told you so? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

R

ridikas

Banned
Swerd - Maybe you should know what you're talking about FIRST, before you lecture anyone else.

I'll comment on one of your points, but that's it, don't feel like wasting my time.

Turbulence noise in a port is a bad design, it has nothing to do with front, or rear ports. And badly designed speakers are not allowed on this list. Front firing ports are superior in every possible way. The only way that a rear port will perform better is if a speaker is designed poorly and it needs more bass from the back wall.

As for ribbon tweeters... They suck! Plain and simple. They have high distortion as can be evident from Zaph Audio and other tests done on various forums. They also need to be crossed over at around 3kHz, making a two-way monitor design very difficult. A serious monitor, with proper output, and a 7" mid-woofer will start to beam at those frequencies and have terrible off-axis response. Best to just stay away from them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis