Too Many Hobbies? What else do u guys collect?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
highfihoney said:
your right about fast,none of my scooter's are very fast that's why im thinking about buying a buell lightning,that's fast:)
Waste of money. Japan makes fast motorcycles........ Kawasaki being the fastest. Honda being the most reliable. (IMO)

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
zumbo said:
Waste of money. Japan makes fast motorcycles........ Kawasaki being the fastest. Honda being the most reliable. (IMO)
actually I think the fastest japanese motorcycle is the Suzuki Hayabusa.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
My other hobbies include DIY PC's, woodworking, and playing music.

I have never purchased a brand name PC and I do not intent to do so. I can get so much more by building my own. I do just about everything with my PC from games to music to video editing. Now that I think about it, it's getting close to updgrade time. :D

I like building things out of wood. I would like to extend those skills to more speaker building but that will require some funds.

I like cars too but I absolutely hate working on them. I just hate doing it. That's why I drive a Honda that never needs to be worked on... literally.

I play mandolin and sing bluegrass. I just love the music, though I am really only a beginning mandolin player. I've been playing less than a year. I practice nearly every day though.

I'd say PC's and home theater are neck and neck for my number one hobby. Hopefuly, in the not too distant future, I will be making decent money to support my hobbies.

I graduate high school in June! I can't wait!

Last edited:
kia303

kia303

Junior Audioholic
zumbo said:
However, they do not hold their value like Japanese cars do! I have owned both and I prefer the ride of the Harley's, although we are comparing apples and oranges unless we are talking about the Harley VRod.

Now this is a pretty bike that will do 140!

http://www.hogs4sale.com/images/5733a.jpg

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
kia303 said:
However, they do not hold their value like Japanese cars do! I have owned both and I prefer the ride of the Harley's, although we are comparing apples and oranges unless we are talking about the Harley VRod.

Now this is a pretty bike that will do 140!

http://www.hogs4sale.com/images/5733a.jpg
My VTX has held it's value quiet well. Better than any other cruiser!:) My ZRX would do 160 stock. My VTX will hit 125. And it's stock. Ride a VTX, or a Vulcan 2000. You will never want to own another Harley. Harley is the Bose of motorcycles.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
5.1 DTS guy said:
actually I think the fastest japanese motorcycle is the Suzuki Hayabusa.
Nope. Kawasaki Ninja ZX14. Put your mouse on the red bike in "select model". : http://www.kawasaki.com/product_detail.asp?product=112&category=2&tag=motorcycle

http://www.zx14ninja.com/

You have to actually be a gear head to keep-up. I am on top of things. Kawasaki will not let some other company stay there long. Check the history books. Kawasaki has been the fastest more years, in more categories, than any other manufacturer.

Last edited:
kia303

kia303

Junior Audioholic
zumbo said:
My VTX has held it's value quiet well. Better than any other cruiser!:) My ZRX would do 160 stock. My VTX will hit 125. And it's stock. Ride a VTX, or a Vulcan 2000. You will never want to own another Harley. Harley is the Bose of motorcycles.
Let's agree to disagree, saying that Harley's are the Bose of the motorcycle world is a little over the top to me. Don't you find it ironic that the foreign bikes decided to copy the looks of the Harley's, I would venture a guess that it is based on the success of the company. BTW, lots of people like Bose and the same can be said for Harley's. To each his own, I try not to disparage what others have but have no problem stating what I like. I do not ride anymore, my last Harley was a Dyna Lowrider 1340 EVO that I sold for the same price that I bought it for, as I have two small children but when they are a little older I will be riding on a BOSE again!

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
zumbo said:
harley is the bose of motorcycle's,hahahaha,now your being silly:)

none of my scooter's will hit top end's that are even close to the one's you listed for your bike's but that's not what i enjoy about riding(touring )to begin with,even though i am currently thinking about buying a buell lightning just for the speed factor & to get myself a new toy im not really into the whole speed thing i'd rather take it easy & see the sight's.

the biggest drawback with other bike's for me is the look's,to me foreign bike's are just butt ugly & the one's that i do think look nice are meerely a copy of a harley design.

if i wanted a car that looked like a corvette i'd buy a corvette .

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
kia303 said:
To each his own, I try not to disparage what others have but have no problem stating what I like.

word's to live by:) if i live to be 100 year's old i will never understand the motivation behind people who feel compelled to tell other's that what they have is better .

i buy thing's that make me happy & enhance the enjoyment that i get out of life, not for bragging right's.

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
:) In addition to HT/PC/DVD/CDs like everyone else (hm...need some more abbreviations there):

• Astronomy (meade 6" achromatic refractor with starfinder, planetary imager)
  • Books (reading in general)
  • Collecting hardbound, autographed copies of Hugo and Nebula award-winning books
  • Dogs - got one of our own, and one Hurricane Katrina rescue that we're fostering.
  • Travel - we go somewhere different about every year. Last year it was New Zealand...which leads me to:
  • Credit cards (ouch)
  • House - we just bought our first house, so the wife's going crazy buying furniture/decor/home improvement projects.

Were it not for the last two, I might someday have my speakers/sub. *wistful sigh*

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
highfihoney said:
why are you sorry about a sportster?
My last bike was an Evo sportster. Possibly the ****tiest piece of **** to ever disgrace the American roadways. And I understand it was an upgrade to the ironhead models. So really.... damn. My condolances.

The (_)-rods are OK, my brother has a Nightrod. I just don't understand Harley's desire to put their name on a Yamaha. The big twins were selling pretty well.

Anywho..... I'm sticking with my Vulcan for now (made by American workers in Lincoln Nebraska), I might buy another Harley in the future (the post fathead future) if their QC increases. Something in the RoadKing range.

OffTopic: Harley-Davidson Motor Co. has been expanding their manufacturing capacity for several years now, and are now producing some 400,000+ units anually. Now figure in supply & demand and most everybody who wants a Harley can buy one. The "local" (40 miles away) dealer even has several model on the floor at MSRP! (if you haven't been paying attention Harley's have been selling for thousands over MSRP since the early 90's. Thanks Terminator 2)

My father-in-law is pissed. he bought a "limited edition" 2003 sporty for thousands over list used, and seemingly overnight his bike has been devalued to half of what he paid! He is pissed!

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
Audio gear: of course! I'm finally ditching the old stereo rig in exchange for a decent HT setup.

CDs: I buy around 2-3 CDs a month

DVDs: about 3 a month

Bicycles: I drop around $2-3,000 a year on bikes parts....mostly being a heavy guy I end up trashing wheels like it's nobodies buisiness.

COmputers: I just dropped about $1000 on the latest upgrade....just so I can play the game I've been waiting for, once it comes out

COmputer games: I pick up about one a month...F.E.A.R. was the latest one....and I'm still waitingt for Oblivion to come out...BRING IT ALREADY!!!! :mad:

Beer: I have a small collection, but a good one.

Scotch: Again small but good...I got some 15-yr Glendronach that I keep for special occaisions (wel until their new stuff ifnally comes out, then I'll find another special scotch), some 12-yr bowmore (my everyday fave), and some blue label walker (Can't helpit...it's good stuff despite being blended).

beer steins: I have a collection of ceramic, earthernware, and pewter steins I collect. I go for primarily Germanic origin, but I also have a stein made with persian artwork as well, minus cap...the cap broke during a move :(

Pretty much I find ways to make myself a broke-arse...

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
My last bike was an Evo sportster. Possibly the ****tiest piece of **** to ever disgrace the American roadways. And I understand it was an upgrade to the ironhead models. So really.... damn. My condolances.
no need for condolances,i understand what sporty's are & what they are capable of very well,where most new h-d buyer's go wrong is in buying a sportster thinking that they are getting a "hog" on the cheap when in reality all they are getting is an expensive begginer's bike,once again there is a lesson to be learned from buyer's trying to get off as cheap as possible or by not doing their home work,sportster's lose value fast & no matter what the salesman say's they are not fit for heavy use by grown men.

i agree that hd's qc suck's when it come's to sportster's but again apple's & orange's,sportster's are not big twin's,on the fatboy i have over 53,000 mile's without any repairs other than standard maintance issue's & have rode it cross country for 12 year's now & i will continue to do so for a few more year's,my wife & i are going to new york on it this spring:)

the 1977 (29 year old) superglide was also an extremely reliable road bike in it's day,before i retired that bike it had over 150,000 mile's on it & the only major repairs were 2 top end rebuilds & a tranny replacement with a 5 speed model,i'd be willing to bet that there are'nt many 1977 honda's even on the road anymore let alone that are able to be an every day driver.

sportster's are not a road bike (cruiser) they are a begginer's bike,a child's bike,a woman's bike,a bar hopper & no matter how many sportster owner's try to dress them up to look like big twin's with studded saddle bag's,floor board's & windshield's they are not a bike for heavy use by grown men.

btw,what make's the little sporty that im building for my son so special is that it's an AMF model with the shifter on the right & the brake on the left:)

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
highfihoney said:
harley is the bose of motorcycle's,hahahaha,now your being silly:)

none of my scooter's will hit top end's that are even close to the one's you listed for your bike's but that's not what i enjoy about riding(touring )to begin with,even though i am currently thinking about buying a buell lightning just for the speed factor & to get myself a new toy im not really into the whole speed thing i'd rather take it easy & see the sight's.

the biggest drawback with other bike's for me is the look's,to me foreign bike's are just butt ugly & the one's that i do think look nice are meerely a copy of a harley design.

if i wanted a car that looked like a corvette i'd buy a corvette .
I did not buy my VTX because it "looks like a Harley". I bought it because my wife and I wanted a cruiser.
I wanted a powerful one. Harleys are not.
I wanted a reliable one. Harleys are not.
I wanted great breaking and handling. Not on a Harley.
I wanted one that nuts & bolts don't fall off of. Again, we all know the answer to this one.
I wanted great resale value. New Harleys are not the resale leaders. Can you say Honda? I thought you could.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
highfihoney said:
i agree that hd's qc suck's.
Uh:confused:

highfihoney said:
the 1977 (29 year old) superglide was also an extremely reliable road bike in it's day,before i retired that bike it had over 150,000 mile's on it & the only major repairs were 2 top end rebuilds & a tranny replacement with a 5 speed model,i'd be willing to bet that there are'nt many 1977 honda's even on the road anymore let alone that are able to be an every day driver.
Extremely reliable? Two complete top-end jobs, & transmission? How is that extremely reliable? There are millions of 77 model Hondas on the road. If Harley guys would go to places where other brand motorcycles were, they would know this. It's denial.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
zumbo said:
I did not buy my VTX because it "looks like a Harley". I bought it because my wife and I wanted a cruiser.
I wanted a powerful one. Harleys are not.
I wanted a reliable one. Harleys are not.
I wanted great breaking and handling. Not on a Harley.
I wanted one that nuts & bolts don't fall off of. Again, we all know the answer to this one.
I wanted great resale value. New Harleys are not the resale leaders. Can you say Honda? I thought you could.
Zumbo,

I agree! :eek: :D

Harleys are for women. Why? Simple. They vibrate. :D

If you want a good bike that is fast (not hiyabooosaaaaa fast, typo lol) and reliable with a 1 : 1 power to weight ratio, Yamaha R1. 17grand gets a sweet bike that will pin its speedo.

SheepStar

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
zumbo said:
Uh:confused:

Extremely reliable? Two complete top-end jobs, & transmission? How is that extremely reliable? There are millions of 77 model Hondas on the road. If Harley guys would go to places where other brand motorcycles were, they would know this. It's denial.
the transmission was replaced in order to have a 5th gear not because of a break down & the top end rebuild's cost less than $500 each,pretty cheap i'd say for 15 year's of cross country touring no matter what brand.

what's to deny? that i buy what i like & that you buy what you like,im glad that you enjoy the thing's in life that make you happy ,what's wrong with me enjoying what i like without having to justify my choice's to you or anybody else?

ive been a biker for 25 year's now & what's always been the most important thing to me about touring is to have fun & see the country safely.

what i find amazing is that for some reason several poster's in this thread have turned a thread about guy's sharing their other hobby's with each other into a who's d!*$ is bigger thread or who's stuff is better thread, what's the motivation in doing this,pretty damm sad & self serving if you ask me:( :rolleyes:

SHEEP

i have question's for you.

1 do you even own a motorcycle,if so please tell us what your hard earned dollar's bought?

2 have you ever rode a harley & if so what model & year was it ?

3 have you ever rode any motorcycle on a multi thousand mile trip ?

4 what was the point of your troll post ?

5 this was a thread about people's other hobby's not an opinion poll,what's for you or anybody else to agree with ?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
highfihoney, sorry to offend. I meant no harm. Most of the people I meet that own Harleys are stuck on what they believe, or have been tought. Most have never thrown a leg over a jap bike. They use shallow statements as excuses not to ride one. They are superb machines that are extremely reliable. My bike, as well as many other jap models, are made in the US. So, Harley guys come up with many other excuses not to try one. You can ride your bike to any Honda or Kawasaki dealership, sign a waiver, and test-ride one. Try a Honda VTX 1800, or a Kawasaki Vulcan 2000. You will be amazed at the level of perfection these bikes are at. A Harley Road King is the same bike it has been for how ever many years it has been around. Harley does not evolve. The V-Rod had to be sent to Porsche to even get it to run right. Buell is a joke. Don't waste your money. If you want a sport bike, buy a sport bike. ZX10, CBR1000RR, GSX-R1000, or R-1. If V-twin power is what you like, then by all means http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles/sport/model.asp?ModelName=RC51&ModelYear=2006&ModelId=RVT1000R6

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
highfihoney said:
sportster's are not a road bike (cruiser) they are a begginer's bike,a child's bike,a woman's bike,a bar hopper & no matter how many sportster owner's try to dress them up to look like big twin's with studded saddle bag's,floor board's & windshield's they are not a bike for heavy use by grown men.
True true, its always a source of amusement to see people with their highway pegs sticking out front of their sporty's like a battering ram. The local dealer I mentioned before has a sign in the service bay "883: Little bikes for big dickheads". Since most of the nazi-helmet wearing assgoblins like to buy 883's, load them into a pickup and drive to every bar in 100miles to get into a fight.

FWIW: I had a 4-spd Evo 883 (nobody told me at the time!), 1203cc's w/dual plug heads & Crane ignition, progressive shocks, Vance&Hine 2 into1 Pro-pipe, and a cool lil' bikini fairing. I was going for a Cafe Racer style.

My bike history includes: Kz1000 (wrecked), Honda 400 (somebody ran over it while it was parked), aformentioned Harley, Yamaha Xs650, and now my Vulcan. It was the only bike on the market with that vintage 60's style (cruisers are stuck in 1958 now)outside of the FXDWG, and I wasn't about to give Harley more of my money after the sporty fiasco. I average about 12,000 miles a year and completed 2 challenges of the Iron Butt association. While I've only been riding 11 years, I just wanted to make clear that I am not simply trying to grind my axe about not owning a Harley with my "sorry" comment from earlier, with the "your bike sucks" tone that seems to have developed.

PS: If you happen to ride by New York may I suggest you take a few hours to ride Rt.3 across the Adirondack mountains (my stamping ground). Lake George gets kinda crowded with Americade but the great mountain roads seem to be pretty bike-less (maybe I should have kept my mouth shut?:) )

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
SHEEP

i have question's for you.

1 do you even own a motorcycle,if so please tell us what your hard earned dollar's bought?

2 have you ever rode a harley & if so what model & year was it ?

3 have you ever rode any motorcycle on a multi thousand mile trip ?

4 what was the point of your troll post ?

5 this was a thread about people's other hobby's not an opinion poll,what's for you or anybody else to agree with ?
You don't have to ride a motorcycle to know how an internal combustion engines works.

500 per head job x2 equals a grand. How much did the bike cost? 15000ish? Thats alot considering the price the vehicle cost. Though, over 15years isn't bad.

Getting a little defensive? Troll post? No, I was agreeing with what Zumbo said. BTW, why did you attack me, when what he said was clearly more offensive? Think at 18year old would be easier? As a matter of fact, my post was the least offensive of all the people talking about H-D.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis