TLS Guy -vs- Studio 100's

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks a lot! When I make this loudspeaker purchase, they'll have to do the job for at least 10 years, so I want to get it right. Do you think that when it comes to different bookshelf speakers within a model line, different resonance due to the different enclosure size, is a factor worth considering? I can certainly understand it being a factor with floorstanders, as I suspect that the increase in cabinet resonance, with an increase in cabinet size (design remaining the same) would be exponential, rather than linear. Would that be accurate?
I have about 1 minute of time, and most likely cannot respond for the rest of today. Good luck during my absence.

I first started learning about cabinet resonance with WmAx's postings. Yes, I think floorstanders (and subs) present much greater issue. But, it's still an issue with bookshelves, if much more curtailed.

Listening to these speakers in the dealer's room isn't ideal, as there are large windows and the traffic outside is a bit intrusive. He does have some acoustic treatments, but that does little/nothing about the window/traffic issue. I think I'll suggest that he do something about that. I suspect that the majority of customers aren't as anal about such things, but I'm not going to lay down my hard-earned cash on a pair of speakers when I have difficulty determining how good they sound to me.
10 years is a long time. You have got to find a way to bring in some contenders to your place. Try Salk, Ascend, others. Ask your dealer if you can borrow a pair to compare. If he says no, then forget him, and ask someone else!

You can try asking WmAx for the 10 step instructions for cabinet mods to the Ascend 170SE. $260 as b stock is a really great deal on these. However, 170SE will have limitations with both power handling and extension. Higher sensitivity than the Sierra1s, IIRC.

With 2k (is that right) for the budget, you can buy a pair of those, a pair of Ascend Sierra1s, as well as some Salk bookshelves all at the same time. (well, I'm pretty sure you can, Salk page is not loading for me). Send back the losers.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, atm, I really have to run. Cheers man.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I have about 1 minute of time, and most likely cannot respond for the rest of today. Good luck during my absence.

I first started learning about cabinet resonance with WmAx's postings. Yes, I think floorstanders (and subs) present much greater issue. But, it's still an issue with bookshelves, if much more curtailed.

10 years is a long time. You have got to find a way to bring in some contenders to your place. Try Salk, Ascend, others. Ask your dealer if you can borrow a pair to compare. If he says no, then forget him, and ask someone else!

You can try asking WmAx for the 10 step instructions for cabinet mods to the Ascend 170SE. $260 as b stock is a really great deal on these. However, 170SE will have limitations with both power handling and extension. Higher sensitivity than the Sierra1s, IIRC.

With 2k (is that right) for the budget, you can buy a pair of those, a pair of Ascend Sierra1s, as well as some Salk bookshelves all at the same time. (well, I'm pretty sure you can, Salk page is not loading for me). Send back the losers.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, atm, I really have to run. Cheers man.
Well, I picked 10 years out of the air. It might not be that long. It's just that if I keep buying speakers every year or two, I'll use up my reserve of WAF.:(

I can certainly borrow speakers from my dealer, but I don't think I'll be ordering speakers from the US, just to send some back. I couldn't stomach all the shipping, customs & brokerage fees.:eek:

Yes, my max budget is $2000, but that doesn't mean I intend to spend that much, if I can find a pair for less that I can live with for the long term.

Thanks again for the input!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis