TLS Guy -vs- Studio 100's

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
In round #1 TLS Guy administered a humiliating shellacking to the unsuspecting Studio 100's that left them bruised and bloody. :eek: :D

I am starting this thread because I have heard these speakers and I liked them. I thought it might be right to discuss their merits and short comings in a dedicated thread. I'm interested in discovering what went wrong with Mark's (Dr. Mark Carter/TLS Guy) listening session. I'm sort of convinced that they can't be as bad as he said.

So my first question is about whether his impressions from listening to them bear any resemblance to their measured responses over at Stereophool.

Dr. Carter, you have the floor. :)

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
well he was comparing them to b&w 803's thats the first problem.. i'd bet alot of brands top models will come up short to those.

its like driving a mecedes SL63 then getting back in your corvette

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
well he was comparing them to b&w 803's thats the first problem.. i'd bet alot of brands top models will come up short to those.
You sure it wasn't the 802? I thought he disliked the 803 as well.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
You sure it wasn't the 802? I thought he disliked the 803 as well.
B&W 803s. ;)

What I read is covered here.

Another thing I'm interested in is a lesson and proofs to be found in graphs and to be able to understand them better.

Matt34

Matt34

B&W 803s. ;)

What I read is covered here.

Another thing I'm interested in is a lesson and proofs to be found in graphs and to be able to understand them better.
You better have your reading glasses on, Dr. Mark can belt out some text.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The Canadian NRC also did measurements of the Studio 100 v3 speakers. It might be useful to look at both sets of graphs. SoundStageAV publishes them here.

At first glance, both curves show a slightly smile shaped curve, higher on the extremes and lower in the middle. Of the two, the Stereophile curve shows a greater bass peak around 60-80 Hz, and rising (somewhat ragged looking) treble response above ~8 kHz.

Alex - can you find the link to TLS Guys description of these speakers? Other than he didn't like them, I can't remember what he said about them.

Stereophile Frequency Response Curve

Soundstage Frequency Response Curve

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
In round #1 TLS Guy administered a humiliating shellacking to the unsuspecting Studio 100's that left them bruised and bloody. :eek: :D

I am starting this thread because I have heard these speakers and I liked them. I thought it might be right to discuss their merits and short comings in a dedicated thread. I'm interested in discovering what went wrong with Mark's (Dr. Mark Carter/TLS Guy) listening session. I'm sort of convinced that they can't be as bad as he said.

So my first question is about whether his impressions from listening to them bear any resemblance to their measured responses over at Stereophool.

Dr. Carter, you have the floor. :)
I would like to know one thing because the question had been asked in that aforementioned thread...was this test conducted in a BDT...?

For the record most inquiring minds want to know...;)

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
a hearing impared person could tell the difference between b&w's and any other brand name just based on how perfect the sound waves are caressing their faces.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
While I don't doubt what Mark heard; I'm don't think it was a fair comparison.
With that being said. I also understand his choices may have been limited to those speakers.

Correct me if I'm wrong; isn't the 800 series B&W's top line?
If so, a more even comparison would be something from the Paradigm's Signature line, like the S-8.
That may not have been possible, simply because all Paradigm dealers aren't Signature dealers.

Since we all have different hearing, we will prefer a speaker that sounds good to us.
Not one that has the best graph, or water fall plot.:)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
While I don't doubt what Mark heard; I'm don't think it was a fair comparison.
With that being said. I also understand his choices may have been limited to those speakers.
He himself said the competition was twice the price.

Correct me if I'm wrong; isn't the 800 series B&W's top line?
Yes, however there are many speakers in that lineup. All of the D series are superior, and there are at least 4 towers that have those diamond tweeters. The 803S does not, but the 803D does for instance.

If so, a more even comparison would be something from the Paradigm's Signature line, like the S-8.
That may not have been possible, simply because all Paradigm dealers aren't Signature dealers.
I agree.

Since we all have different hearing, we will prefer a speaker that sounds good to us.
Not one that has the best graph, or water fall plot.:)
I agree again.

With all due respect to Alex's curiosity, I'm not sure what more can be learned from this thread. It seems TLS already described his audition in detail. So, he hates them, ok. And there are more Paradigm lovers here than you can shake a stick at.

Speaking of the cd he used, the 2nd is the only Sibelius symphony I own, it is one of his most famous. It is indeed brass heavy, and so a lot of brass players like this work. Unlike so many other famous composers who were pianists, Sibelius I think is the only famous (orchestral) composer whose primary instrument was stringed (violin). Speaking of, you guys have got to hear his Violin Concerto, probably my favorite of all time, pretty bad***.

I have the Heifitz recording, but the SQ is not so great. I used to have Mintz (no it wasn't, someone else with curly blondish hair, crap can't remember) playing it as well, with much better SQ, although I remember his breathing through his nose could be distracting. Both below are only first mvmt.

here is audio only of Heifitz playing in the '30s. We studied theory with the same teacher. That's as close as I'll get to his legend, so I'll take it where I can get it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hVeTY_1aLE

Ferras w/ video. I'm likin' this one. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Kq0qMMpgU

Here is Hilary Hahn with video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OlI0RLQJoU

I just received my bluray with Mutter playing Beethoven, after what seems like a year of deliberation over a $30 disc. I once ate my ticket after missing her play the Tchaikovsky with Philly in Boston, when the car broke down, and I had to buy the tix about 9 months in advance. I was with GF at the time of that fiasco, who actually played the Sibelius as soloist with my college orchestra.

I'm also in the middle of Kurosawa's Kagemusha, and it has been an extremely impressive movie, 2/3 in.

I like my steak as rare plus.

I hope everyone is having a nice Tuesday.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Great links meat.

I'm pretty sure I can learn plenty but you have to consider where I'm starting out.

Now that I think of it I'm going to dig out that Hilliard Ensemble Lassus thing for tomorrow. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis