TLS Guy -vs- Studio 100's

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I'd bet that most of her shoes still "work"- why can't you replace or add to your collection?

I have a cousin who's often referred to as 'Imelda' at family gatherings because of her shoes.
Well guess what!! I was talking about this with her last night and she almost floored me when she agreed that I could spend up to $2000 on a pair of speakers! There was one caveat - we have to take our daughter to Disneyworld next spring. Hmmm, let me think about that a bit.....OK, done deal.:D:D

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Well guess what!! I was talking about this with her last night and she almost floored me when she agreed that I could spend up to $2000 on a pair of speakers! There was one caveat - we have to take our daughter to Disneyworld next spring. Hmmm, let me think about that a bit.....OK, done deal.:D:D
Just make sure you buy the speakers first....:D. We were there this past Febuary and loved it...she is already talking about booking a cruise with them.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
GO-NAD,

You have found the WAF answer, mine is usually new carpet or new furniture :D

Enjoy the new speakers .... and Disneyworld :rolleyes:

gOOD lUCK ( hate it when caps lock goes on by itself)

Forest Man

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I hate to take a thread off on a tangent, but would anybody care to make some suggestions for a pair of the best bookshelf speakers I can get for up to $2000? I don't intend to spend that much just because it's the budget I'm working with, but if the best ones in the category are that much - so be it!

Influencing factors:

1) I would prefer a front-ported design, as they will have to sit rather close to the wall behind them.
2) This is for a 2.1 system. The deepest bass extension is not necessary, as I plan to build a DIY subwoofer this winter, using a JL Audio driver and design from Annunaki.
3) I also plan to incorporate a DCX2496 into the mix.
4) I listen to Classical, Jazz, and Classic Rock in equal proportions, with a smattering of other styles although I not convinced that there is any speaker better suited for specific genres.
5) I'm looking for a well-balanced neutral design, with high power handling, happy at elevated volumes. I don't crank my music all the time, but when I do, I'd like the speakers to be able to maintain their composure.
6) They will be driven by my NAD C-372.
5) The speakers would replace my RC-10s, which are no chumps themselves. The winning candidate would need to be superior to them.

And yes, I intend to listen to them all first. The fact that they will be in different locations can make it difficult to make proper comparisons. That's why I'm seeking opinions.

In my area, I have a dealer for Paradigm, although I'm not sure he carries the Studio line. I'm interested in checking out the Studio 20. As a 2-way design, I hope there won't be the same issues as found in the floorstanders (as mentioned in this thread) .

He also carries Focal-JMLab. Anybody know what the difference is between the 706V and the 806V? They look pretty similar, visually as well as spec-wise.

Plus, he carries B&W, but I don't think the 805S will be in my budget.: Any comments on the CM5?

There is also a Monitor Audio dealer, so I'm interested in the GS10. His listed price is Can$2200/pr. :eek: But, I think I could get that reduced a bit, if I favoured that one over the rest of the contenders. He carries PSB also, but only the bottom range models.

That's about it for local dealers. Any ID models that I should consider? Preferably ones that ship within Canada - I suspect that shipping from the US will knock the crap out of my budget (customs, brokerage, etc). I have never heard any Axiom speakers, so I don't know if their bookshelf models are worthy competition for the above mentioned examples.

I'm not opposed to building my own either, if somebody could give me guidance. I can do woodwork, but as far as only soldering goes, copper pipe is the limit of my experience. I don't know if there are any worthy kits out there that are of the same quality as these speakers.

Or, would it be best if I build my subwoofer first and add the DCX, before I even think about new speakers? I suspect what the answer will be...

I apologize for the thread hijack and will start another thread if it's deemed necessary. I know it's wayyyy off topic, but since I have your attention.....:D

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Done...........:D

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1261430090&/Paradigm-Signature-S2-rosewood

I hate to take a thread off on a tangent, but would anybody care to make some suggestions for a pair of the best bookshelf speakers I can get for up to $2000? I don't intend to spend that much just because it's the budget I'm working with, but if the best ones in the category are that much - so be it!

Influencing factors:

1) I would prefer a front-ported design, as they will have to sit rather close to the wall behind them.
2) This is for a 2.1 system. The deepest bass extension is not necessary, as I plan to build a DIY subwoofer this winter, using a JL Audio driver and design from Annunaki.
4) I listen to Classical, Jazz, and Classic Rock in equal proportions, with a smattering of other styles although I not convinced that there is any speaker better suited for specific genres.
5) I'm looking for a well-balanced neutral design, with high power handling, happy at elevated volumes. I don't crank my music all the time, but when I do, I'd like the speakers to be able to maintain their composure.
5) The speakers would replace my RC-10s, which are no chumps themselves. The winning candidate would need to be superior to them.

And yes, I intend to listen to them all first. The fact that they will be in different locations can make it difficult to make proper comparisons. That's why I'm seeking opinions.

In my area, I have a dealer for Paradigm, although I'm not sure he carries the Studio line. I'm interested in checking out the Studio 20. As a 2-way design, I hope there won't be the same issues as found in the floorstanders (as mentioned in this thread) .

He also carries Focal-JMLab. Anybody know what the difference is between the 706V and the 806V? They look pretty similar, visually as well as spec-wise.

Plus, he carries B&W, but I don't think the 805S will be in my budget.: Any comments on the CM5?

There is also a Monitor Audio dealer, so I'm interested in the GS10. His listed price is Can$2200/pr. :eek: But, I think I could get that reduced a bit, if I favoured that one over the rest of the contenders. He carries PSB also, but only the bottom range models.

That's about it for local dealers. Any ID models that I should consider? Preferably ones that ship within Canada - I suspect that shipping from the US will knock the crap out of my budget (customs, brokerage, etc). I have never heard any Axiom speakers, so I don't know if their bookshelf models are worthy competition for the above mentioned examples.

I'm not opposed to building my own either, if somebody could give me guidance. I can do woodwork, but as far as only soldering goes, copper pipe is the limit of my experience. I don't know if there are any worthy kits out there that are of the same quality as these speakers.

Or, would it be best if I build my subwoofer first and add the DCX, before I even think about new speakers? I suspect what the answer will be...

I apologize for the thread hijack and will start another thread if it's deemed necessary. I know it's wayyyy off topic, but since I have your attention.....:D

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan

Influencing factors:

Regarding PSB specifically, DMC Electronics in California is selling the Platinum M2 bookshelves as blemished, for $1,200. My guess is you won't find anything discernibly wrong with them at all. Try calling, if interested. They are the long standing top of the line, however, it is possible that the "lower line" of Synchrony could be superior, if only due to newer technology and design. These latter models can be had at Saturday Audio of Chicago for 2k for One B, and 1.5k for Two B. The Platinum is front slot ported, and I think the latter are rear ported. The two stores mentioned are the biggest PSB movers in the US.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/Platinum-Series/Platinum-M2-Monitor

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/Synchrony/Synchrony-One-B/images#product_detail

A quick google shows an UltimateAVmag measurement graph of the M2. It ain't NRC, and no waterfall, but at least we are staying somewhat on topic. :D Perhaps it might lead to some sort of topical analysis.

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/subwoofers/204psb/index3.html

Ascend Acoustics Sierra1 should be on the short list as well as the Salk Song Surround.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM1/srm1.html

http://www.salksound.com/speakers_songseries_songsurround.shtml

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
Do note that they are the v1 Sigs (I think the Be Tweeters showed up in v2, though I could be mistaken).
Version 2 is when the Be tweeters were added. I don't have any experience with the other brands mentioned, but the Paradigm S2's are excellent. I'd go for the Be tweeter though.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
There are Sig S2's in Piano Black on Audiogon, check them out - for $1300, I would have gone with those if they were there, even though all the speakers I have now are all cherry....
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1262234966&/Paradigm-S2-version-2-piano-bl that is a steal for those speakers..

We just did a small blind shootout with the Sierra's and the Sig .v2 S2's and there is no contest to the next step in audio quality...

Those Rosewoods are .v1, I have a .v1 S4's and they discontinued the Rosewood with that line, very very depressing for me... They are a beautiful finish.... Having the Be tweeters in house now, I would never go back to the G-Pal Dome of the .v1, they are nice, but no contest to the Be.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I've got a set of the black S2v1s here. I'd love to play with the v2.
I'm put off on the v3 by the move away from a phase-plug. I still don't understand why.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Forget the overpriced bookshelf speakers, for 1795 US$ you can get SongTowers. The standard dome tweeter is excellent, and the standard veneer finishes are the best you're likely to find anywhere. Foreign shipping is not an obstacle, Jim Salk has sent speakers to Canada as well as Japan and Australia.

And you'll still have some cash left over to buy some new music :D.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Those B&W's are not very good sounding...

There are much better speakers out there for that kind of money...

I would take songtowers over them anyday of the year

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I stopped by the Paradigm/B&W dealer on the way home from work and had a quick look at what he had in his showroom. The 805S was - surprise, surprise - Can$3300!!

I had a quick listen to the Studio 20 ($1125 - looks like a good price) and the CM 1 ($1200 - looks overpriced) though. I didn't have much time so I wasn't there long enough to form an opinion of either. When I have more time I'll stop in with some of my own music and give them a better audition.

I appreciate the suggestions so far, but I don't know about buying used, from another country. That just scares me.

The Salks are worth considering. I'll have to think about that.

krabapple

krabapple

Banned
That's just incorrect. If testing is done by an audiologist, it's to find out what people hear, not what they prefer.
It's not 'incorrect', it's oversimplified. People DO tend to prefer an 'accurate' (flat on-axis and off-axis) loudspeaker over others, when biases are taken out of the picture. Loudspeaker sound preference can be studied, and has been. And it absolutely does require blind methods otherwise biases that have nothing to do with the sound, can and do creep into the judgement of the sound.

The results of this research -- decades of research, btw -- are being oversimplified on this thread, but Floyd Toole covers it in some depth in his new book 'Sound Reproduction'. His collaborator Sean Olive also talks about it on his blog.
http://seanolive.blogspot.com/

It doesn't mean that every single person will always prefer an accurate loudspeaker. There are known caveats to be considered (see Toole's book). However, to say that a particular person prefers the sound of speaker X over an accurate one, based on auditions at home or in a salon, begs the question of how much of that is really due to the sound, versus other factors.

And speaking of which, I see a lot of fannish love for B&W 800 series on this thread. Dr. Olive has measured the 802N in an anaechoic chamber. Its on-axis performance is good; off axis, not so much. For that amount of money I'd want better. Maybe the newer models are? Anyway, see slide 8 of this Powerpoint presentation for the graph:

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B97zTRsdcJTfY2U4ODhiZmUtNDEyNC00ZDcyLWEzZTAtMGJiODQ1ZTUxMGQ4&hl=en

krabapple

krabapple

Banned
90% don't know what that means. Another 5% think you need to adjust the FR to the song.
If you're really, really obsessively interested in best sound all the time, you kinda have to, thanks to the sorry mess on display here:

It shows the large variation in in-room response of pro mixing rooms, especially below 100Hz.

Accurate loudspeakers are still a good thing because it removes one variable from the problem. Until the music recording industry adopts standards, like the soundtrack industry did, the circle of confusion will remain unbroken.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis