Time to buy a gun ... again

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
nice 308. am i right to assume that 7.62x51 can be fired from 308's?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
nice 308. am i right to assume that 7.62x51 can be fired from 308's?
Thanks!

A .308 can fire 7.62x51 because the cartridges share the same dimensions, but the reverse is not always true becuase .308s are often loaded a bit hotter.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm gonna do a .308 sometime too, just not sure if bolt or AR-10 platform. Enjoyed shooting my buddy's bolt in Arizona.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I wish there was a place to do affordable long range shooting near here but most are too far away. Most of my precision shooting is 22LR at 50yds. It doesn't sound all that challenging but I find it relaxing to try to put 5rds into as close to one hole as possible. Unfortunately match grade 22 ammo is rare these days and I don't get to shoot as much as I'd like.

My Anschutz 22LR.

Last week was too hot (102+) but I'm going to try to take the M&P10 out this week and put a few rounds through it. I've installed a 3.5lb Geissele SSA-E trigger in place of the M&P10's mushy factory 7+lb trigger and it's time to see how it shoots. :D

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I'm gonna do a .308 sometime too, just not sure if bolt or AR-10 platform. Enjoyed shooting my buddy's bolt in Arizona.
DO a bolt gun, I have ar10's, nothing to write home about...

start with this guy Remington 700 SS 308 Mil-Spec 5R : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com
add this trigger Jewell Rifle Trigger Remington 700 40X Safety 1-1/2oz to 3 lb SS
one of these scope mounts Alpine Archery - XHCG Tru Level Picatinny Scope Mount Remington 700 Short Action
with some 30mm rings with this scope
Konus M-30 Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6.5-25x 44mm Side Focus 1/10
a decent bipood {I like harris but there are tons out there}, an adjustable cheek, I like this one Karsten Adjustable Cheekrest and go shooting...

Then after you get home and love how the gun shoots, buy one of these Badger Ordnance Tactical Bolt Knob Aluminum Matte and take your bolt to the local smith and have it put on {normally they charge $15-20 to machine it and install it}, and buy this http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/bottom-metals/remington-700-detachable-magazine-bottom-metal-prod54974.aspx in 10 rd for $329 and you will have ONE HECK OF A LONG RANGE SHOOTER...

I started long range shooting with almost that exact setup, the milspec 5r 308, a different scope, mount, ect.. But same gun with a jewel trigger.. I asked a friend of mine what to start with and he told me to buy that gun and that trigger, it came in about a week because no one local had it, I mounted one of my tactical scopes and bought a 2 pc mount {which I later changed}, with that rifle, stock action, bolt, and barrel I could reach out 300-400 yards with ease, it comes with an awesome stock factory and and a great Mike Rock style Barrel... I later added detachable mag, adjustable pieces to the stock, cut the barrel down to 18" with an 11 degree target crown, for under $2000 you need to spend $6-8K to compete with it!!!!

I now have a 100% custom that I had built and it shoots very nice too, but I still love shooting that 5r, it is an accurate beast for sure...

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I wish there was a place to do affordable long range shooting near here but most are too far away. Most of my precision shooting is 22LR at 50yds. It doesn't sound all that challenging but I find it relaxing to try to put 5rds into as close to one hole as possible. Unfortunately match grade 22 ammo is rare these days and I don't get to shoot as much as I'd like.

My Anschutz 22LR.

Last week was too hot (102+) but I'm going to try to take the M&P10 out this week and put a few rounds through it. I've installed a 3.5lb Geissele SSA-E trigger in place of the M&P10's mushy factory 7+lb trigger and it's time to see how it shoots. :D
Yah, 22 ammo is tough to get in general...

I love going with the kids and shooting their 22's, I have a pretty accurate 22 bolt gun but I like their 10-22's they are fun to buzz off a box of rounds into the zombie targets with...

At the range/club we belong to there is a gentleman with a really nice custom made 22 lr bolt gun, at 50 yards he has a jagged little hole in the paper no matter how many times he shoots it, I seen him put 15 in 1 hole!!! I shoot groups of 3 to make my self feel good, and still get a flyer sometimes lol... My best paper shooting is done with my 204 ruger at 400 and 500 yards.... But ammo quality seems to be suffering for some reason as of late, or I am going backwards with my skills..

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Yah, 22 ammo is tough to get in general...

I love going with the kids and shooting their 22's, I have a pretty accurate 22 bolt gun but I like their 10-22's they are fun to buzz off a box of rounds into the zombie targets with...

At the range/club we belong to there is a gentleman with a really nice custom made 22 lr bolt gun, at 50 yards he has a jagged little hole in the paper no matter how many times he shoots it, I seen him put 15 in 1 hole!!! I shoot groups of 3 to make my self feel good, and still get a flyer sometimes lol... My best paper shooting is done with my 204 ruger at 400 and 500 yards.... But ammo quality seems to be suffering for some reason as of late, or I am going backwards with my skills..
My Anschutz has done one-hole 10rd groups with a better shot than me at the trigger, I'm just not all that great of a shot. On the other hand 1/2 a dime sized group is pretty easy - or at least it was when I was practicing weekly.

I love 10-22s! So far my DIY customized 10-22s have only done dime sized groups at 50yds with me at the trigger, but I'm sure a really good shot could do better. ;)

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
them are fun little guns for sure.. Them 2 look really nice..

defmoot

defmoot

Audioholic
My Anschutz 22LR. ...
Very similar (but likely nicer) than a Savage-Anschutz .22 target rifle I had in high school c. 1976. Mine had iron sights, and the pseudo-checkering/texturing on the grip portion of the stock was produced using walnut-chip-sandblasting, if that makes sense. Sold that lovely little rifle to pay for food and supplies during lean times in college.

Found a brick of German SK "Standard Plus" .22 the other day while inventorying my stash. Says "Grundsortiment Randfeuerpatronen Kal. .22" on the box (?). Forgot I had it.

ETA: Love those 10/22s!

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Sold that lovely little rifle to pay for food and supplies during lean times in college.
I know how that is, I had to sell off most of my collection to pay for books and tuition. Fortunately I've been able to replace most of them in the many years since then. The only one that I still miss is the first generation Colt Mustang, even though I have no need for a 1911 style .380.

This coming Saturday I'll be taking delivery on the latest addition to my collection, a S&W M&P45c in FDE. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I picked up 1K SK Match .22lr the other day on sale at Midway (that was the limit). A few weeks ago from Cabelas I got 600 CCI CPRN AR .22LR and 300 MiniMags from a buddy who found a place who had them in stock (again, 3 box 100 limit). Also managed to pick up 2 boxes of Winchester red box .22LR, which is similar in spec and velocity to MiniMags. I've been shooting the .17 HMR quite a bit lately as I prefer that round to .22LR and it is much easier to find, but more expensive.

I just discussed with a local shop on Sat. what my next, or next two pistols will be :D Debating the 4.7" SIG P320 or M&P Pro 5", but may end up buying both while SSE is still not so problematic. P320 is highly likely as not too many people will have them in CA. But the nice thing about the Pro is I already have plenty of accessories/parts that will work with it. Rifles will wait until next year while I fill out my SSEs this year.

Nice! .22 and the .17 really are the most fun to shoot.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I picked up 1K SK Match .22lr the other day on sale at Midway (that was the limit). A few weeks ago from Cabelas I got 600 CCI CPRN AR .22LR and 300 MiniMags from a buddy who found a place who had them in stock (again, 3 box 100 limit). Also managed to pick up 2 boxes of Winchester red box .22LR, which is similar in spec and velocity to MiniMags. I've been shooting the .17 HMR quite a bit lately as I prefer that round to .22LR and it is much easier to find, but more expensive.

I just discussed with a local shop on Sat. what my next, or next two pistols will be :D Debating the 4.7" SIG P320 or M&P Pro 5", but may end up buying both while SSE is still not so problematic. P320 is highly likely as not too many people will have them in CA. But the nice thing about the Pro is I already have plenty of accessories/parts that will work with it. Rifles will wait until next year while I fill out my SSEs this year.
We're on the same page. I SSE'd the M&P45c and I'm debating doing the same with a 5" M&P40 Pro or just buying a 5" slide and match barrel for one of my existing M&Ps. For now I'm on a long waiting list for the slide and another for the barrel but if I go that route they'll be half the price of a new pistol and take up less space in a crowded safe. Knowing me I'll probably wait until the last minute to make up my mind. :eek:

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Set ammo usage to GONE :D (9mm though, so not so bad) NICE.!

Been buying way too much firearms related stuff myself lately. Just got my Crossbreed Shield IWB mag holster yesterday, a bunch of mags for the Shield, and a new add on cover with QD for the stock on the MP15-22, and quite a bit of ammo.

Stock add on:

Waterproof battery compartments, QD and cheek weld for $25; fits A2 stock. For being kind of cheaply made, it fits surprisingly well. All I really wanted was the QD, and you can mount that without the cheek weld.

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I went for a ride to the gun shop, BAD NEWS FOR THE WALLET...

I picked up my 357 vcomp that just got back from SW for a little trigger treatment and.....
I ordered a few things-
Coonan 1911 {these are the 357 models, I am curious about it and they have one that can ship soon-ish}
a Springfield TRP FBI edition, these have bull barrels, rails, all black, its how they ship them to fbi special agents, they had one in the case BUT its sold waiting for pickup, I held it, its a nice pistol...
and lastly to round it off another springfield 1911 MC Operator, it will go well with the fbi version....

So the 1911 count will be up another III, which puts me around IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIII in all kinds of calipers, 45 {of course}, 9mm, 38 super, 357, 22, 40, and 10mm, in all kinds of metal forged, cast, aluminum, and titanium....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Do you guys have good gunshows up in the northeast?

I'm guessing you guys in CA don't?

Here in TX, you can find a gun show just about any weekend. Even the ~50,000 or so population towns will have a couple gun shows every year.

I really like the ones in San Antonio, something like 800 tables the last time I went!!! I hear that Houston is pretty good too, but I've (oddly) never been to one in H-town.

I know you guys in the DFW area have some choices. I've heard the Mesquite show is pretty good, but I haven't been there myself.

Here's my current wish list:

*Springfield EMP or Kimber Solo Carry (but I'm leaning more to the EMP) 1911 EMP® 9MM Handgun | Aluminum Frame Pistols for Sale
*Kel-Tec KSG!!! KSG | Shotguns | Kel-tec
*Some type of long-range plinker .22 LR that I haven't looked into much as of yet

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja

Here in TX, you can find a gun show just about any weekend. Even the ~50,000 or so population towns will have a couple gun shows every year.

I really like the ones in San Antonio, something like 800 tables the last time I went!!! I hear that Houston is pretty good too, but I've (oddly) never been to one in H-town.

I know you guys in the DFW area have some choices. I've heard the Mesquite show is pretty good, but I haven't been there myself.

*Springfield EMP or Kimber Solo Carry (but I'm leaning more to the EMP) 1911 EMP® 9MM Handgun | Aluminum Frame Pistols for Sale
*Some type of long-range plinker .22 LR that I haven't looked into much as of yet
Gun shows are illegal around here lol...

The springfield is better than the kimber, hands down, the only kimbers I would bother with are the "custom shoppe" guns, anything else is junk {IMO}....

Why are you looking into the 9mm models, the 45acp is a much better carry round to me... check out this guy 1911 Ultra Two-Tone I own one {similar mine is all black its the ultra nitron} and its a very vince ccw...
or go for the daddy of all compact 1911's WILSON COMBAT CARRY COMP COMPACT 45 1911 : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com mine is a little older, {that is brand new} but I have the same done by wilson on a forged springfeild frame, I love it... I can put a pic up if you may be interested in one of them...

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord

There is a huge gun show in Fort Worth this weekend.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Gun shows are illegal around here lol...

The springfield is better than the kimber, hands down, the only kimbers I would bother with are the "custom shoppe" guns, anything else is junk {IMO}....

Why are you looking into the 9mm models, the 45acp is a much better carry round to me... check out this guy 1911 Ultra Two-Tone I own one {similar mine is all black its the ultra nitron} and its a very vince ccw...
or go for the daddy of all compact 1911's WILSON COMBAT CARRY COMP COMPACT 45 1911 : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com mine is a little older, {that is brand new} but I have the same done by wilson on a forged springfeild frame, I love it... I can put a pic up if you may be interested in one of them...
Dang, you are missing out with no gun shows. Also, ammo is usually slightly cheaper at a show, and you can actually get the harder to find ammo there. Of course, it's usually a $5 fee for entry. It's also a great place to get blades professionally sharpened while you wonder around.

Heck, they were kicking around the idea of allowing beer sales at gun shows around here. But the catch is that if they do that then no live ammo will be allowed onsite. I'll take ammo at gunshows over beer at gunshows any day of the week.

Thanks for the info on the Springfield. Yeah, I was leaning that direction anyway. I guess I'm just looking at 9mm cuz I really like that EMP! ;) I already have a Springfield XD .45, and that is a fine pistol, but maybe a bit large for CC. I have never yet had a misfire or misload on it after ~1000 rounds (and my friend that I bought it from has never had a problem with it either). My experience with that XD made me a Springfield fanboy for sure. But, I already have a Baby Desert Eagle II in 9mm too.

Yeah, I might have to go back and reconsider that Sig that you linked to. You would now be the 2nd person to rec that sig. The first is a guy that I work with that is ex-AF special ops, and he keeps it in his truck.

And as far as Wilson, I have never had the opportunity to really check one out, but I have heard nothing but great things about them.

Any comments on that KSG? Or the similar UTS-15?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Dang, you are missing out with no gun shows. Also, ammo is usually slightly cheaper at a show, and you can actually get the harder to find ammo there. Of course, it's usually a $5 fee for entry. It's also a great place to get blades professionally sharpened while you wonder around.

Heck, they were kicking around the idea of allowing beer sales at gun shows around here. But the catch is that if they do that then no live ammo will be allowed onsite. I'll take ammo at gunshows over beer at gunshows any day of the week.

Thanks for the info on the Springfield. Yeah, I was leaning that direction anyway. I guess I'm just looking at 9mm cuz I really like that EMP! ;) I already have a Springfield XD .45, and that is a fine pistol, but maybe a bit large for CC. I have never yet had a misfire or misload on it after ~1000 rounds (and my friend that I bought it from has never had a problem with it either). My experience with that XD made me a Springfield fanboy for sure. But, I already have a Baby Desert Eagle II in 9mm too.

Yeah, I might have to go back and reconsider that Sig that you linked to. You would now be the 2nd person to rec that sig. The first is a guy that I work with that is ex-AF special ops, and he keeps it in his truck.

And as far as Wilson, I have never had the opportunity to really check one out, but I have heard nothing but great things about them.

Any comments on that KSG? Or the similar UTS-15?
For tactical shotguns I just don't believe in the high price stuff that companies are trying to sell, OK, if you need 15 round capacity pump 12ga your options are going to be slimmed out a bit, I have held the uts, it feels cheap to me, IMO there is a reason the uts sells used for around 50% of its new cost lol, there is a video on youtube, I haven't seen it in a while but one guy says "so you like it?" the reply is "yah if I had to go to battle I may take it over a pellet gun", I have seen a few used for under $700, there is one on GB rite now for around $700... What I hear is they are junk..

Now for the keltek I own one, bought it used/never shot and played with it a bit, its also kind of junk, nothing I would EVER put in my bedroom for home security...

NOW that all being said, if you want a shotgun, don't get a pump... Get a semi, mossberg 930 comes in 8 shot {I own} Mossberg 930 8 shot 18.5" #85360 .12Ga NEW! : Semi Auto Shotguns at GunBroker.com {they also have a pistol grip version, I like and own the one in the link} and I promise you go to battle against a well taken care of 930 with one of the above pumpers, you will need a priest... Another semi to consider, and the things I hear are hit or miss with it is the Saiga, some people love it, I own one and haven't shot it a ton, but like... AK-47 Saiga Izhmash 12ga. Shotgun sbs short AK47 : Semi Auto Shotguns at GunBroker.com ...

I am not sure what the point of high cap 12 gauges are, they used to be the "go to" home defense weapon but people love them and they sell {and I own a few myself, lol} but if you can't get it done in 8 {12ga} then you only need one to turn on yourself, lol.... I am not a fan of shotguns for home defense unless its 410 self defense rounds in a gov. revolver with the ct grips and strobe light... In my bedside lock box I have a scorpion 1911 rail gun with a strobe/laser mounted on it, and Grizzly 175 g xtreme rounds http://i.ytimg.com/vi/7fvUhGp0mRc/hqdefault.jpg ...

If you just want a bad ass shotgun, I would personally get the 930 spx {no pistol grip} with a bulldozer Elite Tactical Advantage rail sytem with an undermounted projectile launcher ST 12 Rear Loading Havoc Launcher [STH1210] - $329.95 : Spikes Tactical you would be under the cost of a 15 rd pump with the 930, rail, and launcher...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis