Time to buy a gun ... again

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i've already ordered the UBR, diamond head VR-S T 10.25" handguard :)

i don't have enough money to do all the upgrades at the same time though :)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i'd love the matching diamond head muzzle device, but i feel it's psycho to spend as much money on the muzzle device as the handguard it's trying to match.

i've also ordered the CAA GL-Mag stock for the SBR :)

Last edited:
H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
never seen one with a square butplate, only ones i ever seen were contoured
Right. I think the contour is to help you keep it mounted while cycling the lever. This square one I think is for Cowboy Action Shooting, easy mount w/o snagging. Not sure of the pros or cons. I have both, like them both.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Right. I think the contour is to help you keep it mounted while cycling the lever. This square one I think is for Cowboy Action Shooting, easy mount w/o snagging. Not sure of the pros or cons. I have both, like them both.
My blr gold medallion and my blr '81 takedown both had a rubber semi contour butt plate... I think it all boils down to what you are used to...

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
i'd love the matching diamond head muzzle device, but i feel it's psycho to spend as much money on the muzzle device as the handguard it's trying to match.

i've also ordered the CAA GL-Mag stock for the SBR :)
Some of the muzzles are just silly expensive, you can buy a barrel for less...

I have a few wilson combat brrls and they are awesome, you buy one of them for less than some of the companies want for brakes... Match Grade Barrel | 5.56 NATO | Recon Tactical | 16"-Wilson Combat I have one of them and a light weight one too {lightweight is around $275}...

I did the recon with an accu-tac http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Accu-Tac-Flash-Hider-556-NATO/productinfo/TR-ATFH/ , and giviti bcg http://www.aim-trax.com/Givati-Company-USA-Nickel-Boron-M16-Bolt-Carrier-GCUNiB-M16_p_7285.html that rifle shoots amazing.... for around $500 the rifle shoots 5-7 times better...
Finish it off with teh ssa trigger and you have a real contender http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-parts/triggers/ar-15-m16-ar-style-ssa-trigger-prod31960.aspx

I know handguards and stocks are fun to buy, but the bcg, brl, and trigger are going to make the gun shoot, then get a free float, grip, and stock you are comfortable with and add the things to make the mechanics easier like the charge handle, ambi safety, oversized mag release, glove friendly trigger guard, and the battery assist lever....

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I recently got a M&P .45c and had my friend who is a gunsmith install the Apex trigger kit and some night sights on it. The trigger kit did eliminate the grittiness from the pull, but doesn't seem to make it any lighter, but maybe a bit smoother. Overall I'm happy with it so far, I just need to put some more rounds through it to get it broken in a bit more. I put a Hogue handall on it and a Streamlight TLR-3 and it's a very nice piece.

There are different springs; my kit came with two: 4lb and 5.5 lb. The 5.5 is called the "carry" version and is closer in weight to the original trigger. The 4lb would be somewhat lighter obviously. Since I use mine for carry around the property, I'm going with the 5.5 lb. one. I still haven't installed mine because I haven't picked up my sights yet because I ended up picking up a "used" Savage .17 HMR rifle from a consignment shop the other day. Some guy won it in a drawing, had a scope mounted and zeroed and then decided to sell it, unfired. For the price, I basically got the scope, rings and mount/zero free and some discounted ammo.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
do i need an ambi safety if i'm right handed?

what's an oversized mag release?

i did order a Palmetto State Armory Nickel Boron BCG for another build. i don't know what it does, but it sounded like the current in-thing.

i also ordered a CH Amazon.com : Bcm Charging Hndl 5.56Mm/223 Mod3 Bk : Gunsmithing Tools And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors for use under the scope i also ordered.

OK with NON piston operated normal gas cycled ar15's the bolt gets Pretty Hot... SO the nickel boron coated bcg assemblies make clean up a lot easier, they react les to the heat, ect... PSA's bcg is a nice unit for the money for sure...

I like everything ambi because you never know where your hands may end up in the event you actually need to use the weapon, I heard stories of guys having to use their nose to switch off the safety, lol.. Now will that ever happen, most likely not, but its a cool cheap piece to add...

Oversized mag release is another one of them pieces, with gloves on mashing the mag release can be tough, with the oversized units they are easier to access, larger and stick out further... again cheap cool little piece...

Another good tip, I have built a lot of ar's {around 100 for friends and myself}, tap the rear spring for the rear detent cut the spring down a small bit and and put a 4-40 set screw in there... Now when you pull off your rear plate that spring doesnt go popping off into the great abyss, it stays in there and never has to be fudged with...

Also while talking about the detents, get your self an over sized set take down and pivot pins too, so you dont need a tool to take your gun apart...
223 DEADPOOL Extended Takedown & pivot Pins Front & Rear 6.8 300 556 that seller sells all of the over sized stuff with cool signs on them, I personally like the zombie killer stuff Zombie Bio thru Hunter Mag Release Button Extended Oversized 5 56 223 Magazine | eBay

PS that bcm charge handle is what I use on my 204 ruger ar I love it..

also here is one of the tools that will help you a lot http://www.ebay.com/itm/AR-Pivot-Pin-Installation-Tool-No-More-Flying-Detents-All-AR-223-5-56-/191255661886?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c87b9cd3e

this punch set is cool too I have a different one but these are pretty cool http://www.ebay.com/itm/AR-15-8-PC-Pin-Punch-Set-4PC-Steel-4PC-Brass-Toolbox-Hand-Tools-/201124765326?pt=US_Hand_Tools&hash=item2ed3f85e8e

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i actually made my own pivot pin installation tool :) i've installed extended takedown pins on my main rifle. but i'm honestly doing too many things on too many rifles :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I like ambi safety and the BAD lever. My CT9 is came with both ambi already (not BAD lever) and I find I operate it differently depending on what I'm doing and I like the ability to do that.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord

so ... maybe, i shouldn't have painted the rack and back wall black.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord

Eotech EXPS and PSA nickel boron BCG

BCM mod 3 charging handle

4-14x44FFP

Advanced Series Red Dot, 50,000 hour battery life

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Love the Apex trigger on the M&P. Short pull, short reset, super clean break. Could not be happier with it. The HDs glow brighter than expected too, so not sure TFOs would have been a better option lol. I can see this thing across the room.

Picked this guy up yesterday too. I still need to final dial the scope, but so far it shoots very nicely. Minimal recoil, the trigger is amazingly nice and love the stock.

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Here are two of my newest...

My Shield with an Apex trigger kit, Talon grip tape, and Crimson Trace laser installed. The sights are Truglo TFO night sights.

My new S&W M&P10 (.308) all decked out in Mugpul furniture.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just PM'ed you on CGN I believe :) Can't imagine there's another sholling on there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis