Time to buy a gun ... again

itschris

itschris

Good info, and the sort of comments I was looking for. I'd actually kind of like these which were made for the M&P:

But I could get a set of TFOs AND the HDs for the price of those guys.
Seriously... it's not like your gonna get either one and later, sit back and be pissed you didn't get the other. I just bought a M&P Shield today... a 40cal with manual safety. I'm gonna put the Tru-Glos on it. It's going to be 15-20 months before my Wilson Combat arrives and I'm really just over carrying my XD. Love the gun but hate not having the manual safety on a carry gun.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Seriously... it's not like your gonna get either one and later, sit back and be pissed you didn't get the other. I just bought a M&P Shield today... a 40cal with manual safety. I'm gonna put the Tru-Glos on it. It's going to be 15-20 months before my Wilson Combat arrives and I'm really just over carrying my XD. Love the gun but hate not having the manual safety on a carry gun.
But, the XD has the grip safety and the trigger safety, in some ways I think that is better.

But it is all personal preference and if the manual safety makes you feel better then that's the way to go.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I like that my Kahr has no mag disconnect and no safety. The Shield does and it doesn't bother me, but you have to get into the habit of sweeping it off if you do need to use it, and it is pretty small. I plan to decide which sights on the full size and do the same on my Shield also. 1911 already has fiber. TFOs I can find for almost half the price of the Trij HDs too.

WOW that long for a Wilson? What options did you get, all of them? :eek: :D

I put about 75rds of every ammo type my buddy and I had that first night and it did fine with all of them. For some reason it preferred Blazer Brass though, but did fine with Hornaday Critical Defense.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
For the 4th of July, I went out to the country to my friends land.

Skeet shooting with a Benelli 12ga followed by grilling drinking and BS-ing. It doesn't get much more American than that.;)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
But, the XD has the grip safety and the trigger safety, in some ways I think that is better.

But it is all personal preference and if the manual safety makes you feel better then that's the way to go.
i don't consider the grip and trigger safeties sufficient enough, since the elements required to accidentally discharge are the same safety features :) but that's just me.

i sometimes carry condition 1, right when i think there's a potential thread, but back down to condition 3 as soon as potential threat passes.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Safety feature #1 is the operator :) The one you need to worry about is the threat you don't see coming.

itschris

itschris

The Wilson is a Professional Lightweight with some extras that I want: Flattened/Serrated top of slide, Checkered on front and bottom of trigger guard, checkered rear of slide, extended magwell, full tightening and tune, and a couple of other things. It adds up quick, but for me, it will be a zero comprimise carry gun... it'll probably end up being the perfect carry gun... for anyone... but I'll just say for me so I don't start a war. :)

When it comes to manual safeties... we can all debate it forever. I've stated my opinon before, but I'll paraphrase here. Grip/Trigger safeties are really not safeties at all. The only thing they prevent is an idle gun sitting on a table or somewhere, by itself, untouched... from somehow firing. There are very very few statistics that show that dropping a modern gun will somehow cause a discharge. That's in the movies... really nowhere else.

There are, however, many cases where an accidental discharge has occured on draw. We've all probably seen the vid where the cop is talking to a class of children, draws his Glock and pops himself in the leg. This is not rare. Granted it's not all the time... but it happens. You can say all day long that the guy is a moron, not trained, etc. You can say that the "first safety is you" and all that. None of it matters in realistic world where what "should" happen is rarely what does. The other potential danger is a violent encounter. If someone attacks you, either has their hands physically on you or is rapidly approaching, your panic instinct imediately kicks in and if you grab for the gun your finger will almost suredly go right to the trigger. I've been to many classes and training camps where this has been proven... even in scenarios where everyone knew what was going to happen. I've seen cops, well trained ones, been full on engaged and almost 100% of them... and everyone in the class for that matter, put their finger to the trigger as indicated by dye or a buzzer depending on the class. It's natural instinct. Only the most highly trained individuals will likely overcome that. You and I are not one of those people. You can dress the part, you can't play it, though.

The things is, you will never invet the time and money to train to that degree. What you can do, however, is practice drawing and swiping the safety. You can do that sitting on the couch and do it over and over. When I used to shoot ISPC, we drew from the cocked and locked position. You trained to draw and sweep. It's very reasonable to believe you can commit that to muscle memory with some practice. I've seen for myself and read enought case studies to know that if you're in fear for you life, you will instinctively grab for that gun and have your finger on the trigger before it reaches safe engagment. Even officers, who are trained, and get caught off guard in a violent traffic stop, will sometimes have two or more shots fired straight into the ground as they draw, run, and re-engage. It's just human nature. I prefer to train things I can easily overcome and that I can easily do.

My two cents, I'm sure there are plenty who will disagree. But I have yet to have anything make me know otherwise.

itschris

itschris

On the Shield... I exchanged the 40 cal for the 9mm. I went with the 40 because I have about 6,000 rounds of it. The 40 cal though is just a bit much for the Shield I thought. The 9mm in my opinion is a much better round for the gun. it just didn't work well with the harsh characteristics of the 40. Now I have to buy yet another caliber, but whatever... it's a solid gun that I think I'm really going to like to carry. I'm going to send the frame out to LightFighter Innovations for a high hand cut and stippling job and send the slide out to get refinished and setup with the Trijicon sites this guy on one of the forums who does really nice work (changed my mind because of a potential holster issue with the G-Code INCOG. The Tru-Glos are longer and I think part of the mold is contoured around the site. No biggie, I Trij are exceptional too)

I don't screw with triggers on carry guns for liability reasons and find that most people who complain about triggers being "grainy" or whatever cannot discern a stock trigger from a high end one. Besides, if you actually shoot your gun, the trigger uually takes care of itself after a 1000 rounds or so. Speaking of which I did negotiate a good deal on a 1000 rounds of American Eagle. That'll do me as my goal is to shoot at least 500 rounds through the Shield by Christmas which may be tough considering I'll be sending it away for a few weeks. We'll see.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I went with the Apex trigger for my full size because it has the 5.5lb "carry" option, which is close to the stock pull weight. I normally carry the CW9 and it has a very long but consistent pull and break. This is one of the main reasons I chose it, and I like the way it is so I don't need to change it. My FS M&P I normally only carry around the property, I don't plan to change the one on the Shield.

There was another one in the news recently where a LONG TIME, highly respected firearms instructor was demonstrating AT A SHOW and shot a lady in the leg. Yes, it can and does happen.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Just a couple weeks ago in central TX, a guy accidentally shot his father in law.......in the parking lot of a gun show:eek:

itschris

itschris

... which is why I'm for a manual safety. I trained to draw and swipe so much when I was younger and shooting comps, that I still do it today. It's just a natural function for me because it's somethng you can easily teach yourself. You're not going against any natural tendancy, just creating a new one... that works... the other does not.... not when you have to undue something that nature built into you somehow.

I was reading up on the APEX Carry trigger last night. My normal instinct is to immediately go do it. I'm won't be using this gun for anything but carry, so I figured I'd rather not muddy any potential waters with an aftermarket trigger. I definately want it though. I'm going to have to shell out a ton of $ for the Wilson, so I'm trying to keep my head on straigt. I got my G-Code holster ordered which will take about 3-5 weeks. I think I'm just going to send the frame and slide out now since I have to wait anyway for the holster. I can't really decide.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

Trimmed a Hogue Hand-All and tried it on. I like the feel of the front finger grip, but not really enough palm swell like it has on my Kahr. Might take it off. Liking the Pierce finger extension on the 7rd mag though. Fits much better than they did on the G26 mags.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
New holster for Shield. Stealth Gear Onyx. Very pleased with it so far. Adding Shield to permit on Fri.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
New holster for Shield. Stealth Gear Onyx. Very pleased with it so far. Adding Shield to permit on Fri.

Adding the shield to your permit??? I don't understand.

You have to have each gun on your CC permit? Or you have to have a permit to even own it???

This hippy stuff is confusing to the good ole boy Texans???

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Adding the shield to your permit??? I don't understand.

You have to have each gun on your CC permit? Or you have to have a permit to even own it???

This hippy stuff is confusing to the good ole boy Texans???
Yep, has to be on there. And no, we cannot open carry here anymore either. Despite the fact that I am a supporter, I have to be honest when I was in Arizona and saw people open carrying, it was a bit surprising to see at first just because you just don't see it here in Ca.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I recently got a M&P .45c and had my friend who is a gunsmith install the Apex trigger kit and some night sights on it. The trigger kit did eliminate the grittiness from the pull, but doesn't seem to make it any lighter, but maybe a bit smoother. Overall I'm happy with it so far, I just need to put some more rounds through it to get it broken in a bit more. I put a Hogue handall on it and a Streamlight TLR-3 and it's a very nice piece.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
...I have to be honest when I was in Arizona and saw people open carrying, it was a bit surprising to see at first just because you just don't see it here in Ca.
Yep, me, too. I grew up and moved here from Illinois where gun laws are a lot different from Arizona, and it did catch me off guard the first time that I saw someone who wasn't a cop carrying a sidearm. It was a guy in line at McDonald's something like my first or second night here. Wow, I haven't eaten there in years.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
never seen one with a square butplate, only ones i ever seen were contoured... Lever guns are fun, my favorite is the BLR.... Henry rifles are also nice...

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Thinking about this one...
wow, love the lever action.

-0-

unfortunately, wife has put a cap on my max number of firearms. good news is, she's lifted the embargo on when i can purchase my next firearm. (used to be one every 2-3 years)

so ... i bought this cheap rifle, so i can practice changing buffer tubes, change from drop in to free float handguard and replace the gasblock.

baby steps.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis