Low volume on new Denon S660H receiver

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
One easy one to compare is Bladerunner 2049. At least 10dB hotter. Check it out if you have a copy.

THX standards supposed to take care of the level standard but not many are still mastered to that standard.
Yeah, that movie is heavy on bass effects, if that’s what you had in mind. It’s some time since I watched that movie on blue-ray though.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Yeah, that movie is heavy on bass effects, if that’s what you had in mind. It’s some time since I watched that movie on blue-ray though.
It may be bass heavy but right off the bat I had to reduce normal -18 to -30 and held true for the whole disc.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
Hey All, so I’m fine with the volume number being higher to equal a similar volume. Definitely not unhappy with my new Denon, it was just unexpected behavior. However I wanted some input on the following:

So I’ve been very busy since setting up the receiver and haven’t had a music listening session until yesterday. I noticed I was not hearing much bass, so I went over to the sub to check things out. It was on (power light was lit) but I did not feel the familiar vibration, like none at all. I checked the knobs on the sub and turned up the rain etc all the way, but no change. all. I turned it off and on, same issue. I did run the auddysey room calibration upon setup and I did hear some good bass then during that process and we watched Apollo 13 recently and the bass was good then. A little too loud at times. Is there something different about listening to music (streaming from phone to Apple TV) that would be very low bass? Then used the Denon remote to increase bass sub decibels and it did make a difference, but it’s weird. I’m not sure how to change the low pass filter frequency on the new receiver but maybe related somehow? Since I was familiar with correct settings in the pioneer, this new receiver is a bit confusing. Any ideas?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Hey All, so I’m fine with the volume number being higher to equal a similar volume. Definitely not unhappy with my new Denon, it was just unexpected behavior. However I wanted some input on the following:

So I’ve been very busy since setting up the receiver and haven’t had a music listening session until yesterday. I noticed I was not hearing much bass, so I went over to the sub to check things out. It was on (power light was lit) but I did not feel the familiar vibration, like none at all. I checked the knobs on the sub and turned up the rain etc all the way, but no change. all. I turned it off and on, same issue. I did run the auddysey room calibration upon setup and I did hear some good bass then during that process and we watched Apollo 13 recently and the bass was good then. A little too loud at times. Is there something different about listening to music (streaming from phone to Apple TV) that would be very low bass? Then used the Denon remote to increase bass sub decibels and it did make a difference, but it’s weird. I’m not sure how to change the low pass filter frequency on the new receiver but maybe related somehow? Since I was familiar with correct settings in the pioneer, this new receiver is a bit confusing. Any ideas?
Some recordings have more bass/treble than others, and tone controls are used to adjust to taste.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General

You may want to try adjusting the Sub setup to LFE+Main. If “Speaker Config.” - “Front” and “Center” are set to “Large”, and “Subwoofer Mode” is set to “LFE”, no sound may be output from the subwoofers, depending on the input signal or selected sound mode.

See the manual here: The low range signal of all channels is added to the LFE signal output from the subwoofer This is used to "Play music or a movie source and select the mode offering the strongest bass."

I hope this is helpful.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
You may want to try adjusting the Sub setup to LFE+Main. If “Speaker Config.” - “Front” and “Center” are set to “Large”, and “Subwoofer Mode” is set to “LFE”, no sound may be output from the subwoofers, depending on the input signal or selected sound mode.

See the manual here: The low range signal of all channels is added to the LFE signal output from the subwoofer This is used to "Play music or a movie source and select the mode offering the strongest bass."

I hope this is helpful.
Oh that’s interesting, I’ll check that. As for the comment about different recordings having different bass levels, it’s my same music library, same songs but definitely a setting on the new Denon needs tweaking. I just need to figure out which one.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
I’m having trouble finding an LFE+main setting to try. Here are some photos of current settings if this helps. On BBB the crossover settings screen in not sure why it shows center and surround as I don’t have these and you can see the settings corroborating this on the speaker config screen.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
Also confirming I just played Apollo 13 blu ray and tons of good bass. Just not as much on my sub during music playback over Apple TV where on previous receiver it was good (minus the receiver shutoffs that were the original problem.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I have a Denon AVR and there are audio adjustment to increase volume from the normal off's in other settings. I prefer a couple of the OFF settings. Normal db for satellite TV is as around 55db volume control. I have numerous streaming apps and the volume db adjustment can be 55db to 64db, in my case. Internet mp3 music, I have to turn down volume to about 30db. I don't use DVD movies, so db volume level is a question mark.

Been this way for years with my Denon AVR's. Volume level can be all over the map from various sources. Nothing to worry about. lol

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Also confirming I just played Apollo 13 blu ray and tons of good bass. Just not as much on my sub during music playback over Apple TV where on previous receiver it was good (minus the receiver shutoffs that were the original problem.
I hate to ask but will anyhow, have you level matched your channels with receiver internal test tones and spl meter?
No center speaker?

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
I hate to ask but will anyhow, have you level matched your channels with receiver internal test tones and spl meter?
No center speaker?
No center or surround speakers, I have two bookshelves (small front) and one subwoofer. Is level matching different than running audeyssey with the included microphone? If it’s different then I didn’t do it and do not know how.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
Does anyone have thoughts/advice on the settings screens I posted? Does that look good or do I need to make some changes?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

No center or surround speakers, I have two bookshelves (small front) and one subwoofer. Is level matching different than running audeyssey with the included microphone? If it’s different then I didn’t do it and do not know how.
Similar in that Audessy also does EQ. I don't have it, just use meter and receiver calibration tones. But with only two speakers, not a big deal, However, Audessy may be doing something the bass. Others will answer better on that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Sounds like you aren't using a mode that uses the sub. What was the sound mode? Speakers set to small? What crossover? The settings for using LFE vs LFE+Main mode are in audio settings for bass IIRC.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
Sounds like you aren't using a mode that uses the sub. What was the sound mode? Speakers set to small? What crossover? The settings for using LFE vs LFE+Main mode are in audio settings for bass IIRC.
For sound mode I’ve tried both “music” and “movie”. Speakers small, sub “yes” center “no”, surround “no”. It definitely uses the sub during tv, movies, Netflix, in fact too much bass sometimes. I don’t know why playing music would suddenly not use the sub. I think the pics I posted show all my settings but if there is a screen I missed that would be helpful let me know. Meanwhile I’ll do some more testing tomorrow.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For sound mode I’ve tried both “music” and “movie”. Speakers small, sub “yes” center “no”, surround “no”. It definitely uses the sub during tv, movies, Netflix, in fact too much bass sometimes. I don’t know why playing music would suddenly not use the sub. I think the pics I posted show all my settings but if there is a screen I missed that would be helpful let me know. Meanwhile I’ll do some more testing tomorrow.
That's not the sound mode I was referring to particularly, more like Stereo or Direct with such a minimal system I suppose since all the other codecs wouldn't be in play. The sub might have been simply LFE content not affected by what you're getting from L/R speakers (via bass management). I didn't notice pics of screens but will....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to read those screens a bit but seems you're set to small/40 hz crossover (why so low?) using LFE mode. As suggested might try LFE+Main mode instead to double up on the bass somewhat (the crossover setting will set the upper limits of what the sub will be doing, the speakers would be full range for LFE+Main)

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
Hard to read those screens a bit but seems you're set to small/40 hz crossover (why so low?) using LFE mode. As suggested might try LFE+Main mode instead to double up on the bass somewhat (the crossover setting will set the upper limits of what the sub will be doing, the speakers would be full range for LFE+Main)
I’m not seeing an “LFE+main” mode but I’ll keep looking. The LFE setting is at 80hz. The front does say 40hz, but that was default, I didn’t set that. My previous receiver didn’t seem to have that option so no experience with what to set this at. I can adjust up but not sure where to set it.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
In case I haven’t restated this enough, I am a moron when it comes to audio equipment and settings. I don’t understand how crossovers work or frequency responses as they pertain to correct AVR settings. So
Let me ask this way:

I have the following components:
1. Denon s660h receiver,
2. A pair of paradigm atoms v6 bookshelves (adding that the spec sheet says the frequency response is 90hz - 20 khz, and has a 90 decibel sensitivity on an 8 ohm load. I do not really understand what this means.
3. And I have the klipsch -R100SW sub.

I have run the Audesey room correction setup.
Besides this, I am not sure of a good starting point for AVR settings. Can someone recommend a good baseline set of crossover settings given my components? The defaults that came up from Audesey seem low based on your responses, and also do not seem to strike the right balance for what sounds good to me. Based on some things I read online, they recommend the crossover setting to be 10 hz higher than the lowest frequency response range of the speakers, so this would be 100hz. However other sources say 80hz is the most appropriate. Although Some say this last recommendation should be ignored as it is too general. So, what do you all think?

what is a good starting point? I want to get as much out of my atoms as I can for the highs and mids and balance that with the Klipsch so they each play to their strengths and compliment the overall sound of my music. From there I can just increase or decrease the bass as appropriate for each type of music I might be listening to.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis