The theater room is starting!!!!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I guess I should have asked earlier, but how have you broken up the ceiling lighting into different zones? I see a few cans up there, but I find that this is a fairly easy change that many people miss. You definitely don't want ANY sconces on during a movie, they broadcast light throughout the room and onto the screen uncontrollably. Severely impacting image quality. Ceiling cans, especially certain trims/lamps direct light in a spotlight pattern that can nearly eliminate any light falling onto the screen. Standard lighting in a theater calls for at least two zones, one for 'general room lighting' and another for 'seat lighting'. The seat lighting provides lighting directly over the seating area and can provide 50+ watts of lighting at the seating position to read, eat, and move about the room, while almost no light falls on the screen. This is the 'sporting event' lighting that can be amazing.

Meanwhile, for cleaning and general entry/exit from the room, the rest of the ceiling lights are turned on. Wall sconces are for entry and exit from the room and are nothing more than decorative artwork rather than a purposeful piece to any theater. That said, awesome sconces are still awesome. I fully intend to put in a great deal of useless lighting in my theater for dramatic entry/exit effect, but the lighting over the seating is critical to best image quality and a good room.

Also be aware that if the room is painted dark, and has dark carpet/ceiling, then you need about twice the lighting of a typical family room to achieve the same brightness levels. So, instead of 4 lights in the room, you would need 8 or 9. (3 rows of 3) The back row, over seating, should be the ones on a different dimmer. So, 6 lights can be off, the wall sconces can be off (or VERY low) and the lighting right over the seating can be on and allow the guys to hang out and watch the game and eat, without being in a complete cave.

I have some example photos of good lighting here: http://www.avintegrated.com/lighting.html

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I guess I should have asked earlier, but how have you broken up the ceiling lighting into different zones? I see a few cans up there, but I find that this is a fairly easy change that many people miss. You definitely don't want ANY sconces on during a movie, they broadcast light throughout the room and onto the screen uncontrollably. Severely impacting image quality. Ceiling cans, especially certain trims/lamps direct light in a spotlight pattern that can nearly eliminate any light falling onto the screen. Standard lighting in a theater calls for at least two zones, one for 'general room lighting' and another for 'seat lighting'. The seat lighting provides lighting directly over the seating area and can provide 50+ watts of lighting at the seating position to read, eat, and move about the room, while almost no light falls on the screen. This is the 'sporting event' lighting that can be amazing.

Meanwhile, for cleaning and general entry/exit from the room, the rest of the ceiling lights are turned on. Wall sconces are for entry and exit from the room and are nothing more than decorative artwork rather than a purposeful piece to any theater. That said, awesome sconces are still awesome. I fully intend to put in a great deal of useless lighting in my theater for dramatic entry/exit effect, but the lighting over the seating is critical to best image quality and a good room.

Also be aware that if the room is painted dark, and has dark carpet/ceiling, then you need about twice the lighting of a typical family room to achieve the same brightness levels. So, instead of 4 lights in the room, you would need 8 or 9. (3 rows of 3) The back row, over seating, should be the ones on a different dimmer. So, 6 lights can be off, the wall sconces can be off (or VERY low) and the lighting right over the seating can be on and allow the guys to hang out and watch the game and eat, without being in a complete cave.

I have some example photos of good lighting here: http://www.avintegrated.com/lighting.html
Like you a lot of my lighting will be useless lighting for entering and exiting the ceiling will be black this will be a very very dark theater room.
It will be all integrated into a media controlled smart remote system which can be controlled from the wall and the tablet and all the lights will be zoned and dimmable. That room will be all turned off for movies etc. This will not be an open kind off family room setup

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Day whatever Lol

Okay all the sheetrocking and drywalling is completely done

20190822_131041.jpg20190822_131038.jpg20190822_131035.jpg20190822_131045.jpg

This is where the open hallway used to be completely sealed off now
20190822_131138.jpg
The ceiling will be painted black the fiber optics for the star ceiling are getting put in
Of course they'll be turned off when movie time hits. I didnt want em but my family had to have the darn things LOL
20190822_131022.jpg20190822_131038.jpg20190822_131026.jpg

After today and tommorow all the walls electrical and lighting wiring should be prepped and ready to go.

Those two open hallways are going to be replaced with solid core special insulated doors

After this it should start moving forward a lot faster!!!!!!! :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Is there multiple rows of seating? Looks like it’s going to be sweet!!!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay painting is done the ceilings painted black the walls a very dark golden brown.

Next step is doors carpet and trim.
20190827_233931.jpg
20190827_233851.jpg
20190827_233728.jpg

20190827_233824.jpg
The equipment rack will have a fully custom slide out rack that will completely slide out into the room in case work needs to be done on the back or if anything needs to be added

The pictures don't do it justice it really looks stunning and the walls are much much darker then the way the camera is displaying them

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
This is a sample of the theater carpet getting put in the burgandy with the colors in it should really set that room off the dark gold in the pattern was the inspiration for the walls.

20190828_002416.jpg
20190828_002414.jpg

R

Ras777

Audioholic
Wow! That looks awesome. I cant wait to see it completed. We spoke last winter on the Projector thread. I was in the early stages of planning on switching from my flat panel to projection. This winter I will start the transformation and would love to hear what you have learned from your experience.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Wow! That looks awesome. I cant wait to see it completed. We spoke last winter on the Projector thread. I was in the early stages of planning on switching from my flat panel to projection. This winter I will start the transformation and would love to hear what you have learned from your experience.
You betcha I'll actually post you some things I learned as soon as I wake all the way up lol

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Hah hah my little bubba!!! Franco's great! Since the subs are put up until the theater is done he's loving life. He HATES my audio he will leave the room immeadietly once the subs go on. Poor guy I try to spoil him all day for when I'm jamming at night!
Interesting. My dogs hate the subwoofers too. When they come on, for either music or movies, they bail or start barking.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Day whatever Lol

The ceiling will be painted black the fiber optics for the star ceiling are getting put in
Of course they'll be turned off when movie time hits. I didnt want em but my family had to have the darn things LOL

... :D
That is a great idea to have them. Gives an upper class theater look. ;):)

And, if it is on during a movie gives you that outdoor feel.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay day whatever Lol all trim has been done the pictures can't do it justice tommorow the trim gets stained the same stain as the cabinets with the paint being touched back up.

After this the platform for the second row and carpet gets put in.

Then in comes the gear!!!!!

Here's the pics just long shots
20190903_232721.jpg20190903_232209.jpg20190903_232115.jpg
20190903_232203.jpg20190903_232125.jpg
Some close ups for detail
20190903_232432.jpg20190903_232253.jpg
This is the stain from the cabinets this trim will match the trim is made from the same wood.
20190903_232314.jpg

The trim running along the top will have led lights on the inside

Can't wait to show you guys the pics once the paint is done and risers and carpets laid down

Along the runner on top running across the bar on the back there will be a runner with drapes attached that will close for the movie to minimize reflections off the cabinets and tile

It's speeding up now guys!!! Room should be ready and Equipment should be installed starting either Monday or Tuesday

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Very nice Dan! It’s gonna be awesome. Especially with those fiber optics!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay Friday September 6th 2019 all painting prepping and carpentry and carpet work is done! Monday just do the small details light fixtures led lighting door hardware etc

Then next Wednesday starts the install the slide out av rack for the closet the atmos and speakers wiring the equipment the screen and projector installing the theater seats they're here out in the garage. The theater room should be done by next Friday and I'll have all next weekend to play with it!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Here's some before and after to show how far it's come!

Before
20190529_115537.jpg20190529_115646.jpg20190515_115118.jpg

AFTER
20190906_234035.jpg20190906_234119.jpg20190906_234644.jpg
20190906_234859.jpg20190906_234318.jpg20190906_234339.jpg
20190906_234226.jpg

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Can't wait to show you guys the finished product next Friday and get some feedback and insights!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Looking great so far. Hope you pre-wired for most possibilities. Hate to see a remodel job not far off. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis