The theater room is starting!!!!

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
Dan can you tell me about the ceiling twinkle lights, and how they are installed? Did they drill thousands of tiny holes in the ceiling? How much does that cost to install?
Are you planning on doing room treatments/ bass traps as well?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Dan can you tell me about the ceiling twinkle lights, and how they are installed? Did they drill thousands of tiny holes in the ceiling? How much does that cost to install?
Are you planning on doing room treatments/ bass traps as well?
They are drilled in by hand then the led tubes are put through the holes in varying lengths to give it a reaalistic starry sky 3D look they run on a color wheel so the tubes never go out just the wheel when it does you just swap it out

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Looking great brother!

You're close now for sure!

Congrats...I've been in that 98 in the shade back in the day... had family stationed at Lackland AFB...I think that's TX right? They were are so at many AFBs.
Yeppers that's Texas my friend

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Danzilla!
All I got for you is to say, "Pimp @$$ Sh!t!"

Lookin' good, Buddy! ;)

One of these days we'll get together around a double pair of Captivator 4000ULFs or Mariana 18SDs... knock back some good juice... make our ears go numb! :)

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
They are drilled in by hand then the led tubes are put through the holes in varying lengths to give it a reaalistic starry sky 3D look they run on a color wheel so the tubes never go out just the wheel when it does you just swap it out
Wow cool!!! Did you get a kit, or how did you do that? How long does it take to install?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Dang right by the river walk? I was there once. :) Darn nowhere near. :( I was gonna pop by with your permission of course.
Riverwalk downtown awesome place to go I'm up on the rim by 1604 and 281 absolutely just pm me anytime your in town and would like to drop by

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Wow cool!!! Did you get a kit, or how did you do that? How long does it take to install?
You can but I paid a contractor to do it for me it's a lot of hot back breaking messy work up in that attic getting it just right

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
it's a lot of hot back breaking messy work up in that attic
By attic I assume you mean the 9th level of hell.

The ceiling does look cool. Very 3D-ish. Using the crown as a light cove is another cool trick. Installing crown the normal way is hard enough. Holding the reveal at the ceiling is like extra points. Don't lose that carpenter's number. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay came in and did a quick listen big mistake it's now 3 in the am. Nothing's been calibrated speakers aren't set up right level matched but it already looks and sounds pretty f@$!# in good right now can't wait to get it all set up right

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Okay came in and did a quick listen big mistake it's now 3 in the am. Nothing's been calibrated speakers aren't set up right level matched but it already looks and sounds pretty f@$!# in good right now can't wait to get it all set up right
Did the calibration go ok? How’s it sound now?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Did the calibration go ok? How’s it sound now?
It sounded friggin awesome for where it's at but I'm having some family drama about how the room is supposed to go. So we are working it out and working out the final speaker layout until it's finally set up I won't have anything new to post thats why it's been a lol bit since I've posted anything

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It sounded friggin awesome for where it's at but I'm having some family drama about how the room is supposed to go. So we are working it out and working out the final speaker layout until it's finally set up I won't have anything new to post thats why it's been a lol bit since I've posted anything
Cool makes sense. Just excited to see how it all turns out. Looks like it’s awesome!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Dude!
Just checked in on this thread!
You are taking this HT stuff SERIOUS!!!
Hat's off to you!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Wait... family drama over a theater room? It has one purpose and there's a certain way it needs set up, right? When I think of a theater room, aesthetics drop down a few spots on the list if priorities. It's meant for watching movies (in the dark) and should sound its best doing it. Otherwise what's the point of having one?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Dude!
Just checked in on this thread!
You are taking this HT stuff SERIOUS!!!
Hat's off to you!
Thank you so much KEW wait till you see the final setup just a few more tweaks to go!!!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Wait... family drama over a theater room? It has one purpose and there's a certain way it needs set up, right? When I think of a theater room, aesthetics drop down a few spots on the list if priorities. It's meant for watching movies (in the dark) and should sound its best doing it. Otherwise what's the point of having one?
The problem is we are running into issues with the fact that me and my pops wanted to do this together

So we split the cost 50/50. And I donated most of my equipment the speakers and subs

But all of a sudden my pops falls in love with our installer basically because he doesn't know Jack poop about home theater and starts buying all this extra poop we don't need.Which I got tired of fighting about so as long as it came out of his half fine

As you guys know I don't like small speakers and I like my surround channels to hit hard on content. My SVS prime towers pair very well with the JBL's so I was having special mounts I was building to wall mount them one pair for each row plus the JBL 580's for the back like a movie theater like sound and setup. It would have its challenges but even in the trial runs it sounded friggin awesome with minimal eq

There was still plenty of space to get around I had beefy atmos heights put in.
The plan as you said my friend was aesthetics yes but secondary to the sound and screen audio and visual with big big speakers and subs that can get me great sound and dynamics without having to crank the sound too much

That's the agreement until mom gets involved and she's never given a poop about the room anyway so they went without informing me and blew 4000 on the paradigm 25s bipole speakers which are a price of poop for my wants and set up an appointment for him to install them this week

I was pissed beyond pissed honestly but family is family and I refuse to let materials things ruin our relationship.

But this jack ass installer is going to try installing 4 bipole speakers with a frequency response of +- 2 db at 125hz get the fu@$## out of here what am I doing installing atmos speakers on my surrounds

If you looked at the layout with the back tapering the way it does there is no way you can put bipole speakers back there

So I paid f@$!# ing extra ordered two SVS ultra surrounds if I have to compromise and 2 SVS ultra bookshelves for my rears for half the f@$! Cost and will end up installing them if I have too. I can live with that compromise at least

But I'm still not done with my original goal and eventually the room is mine anyway when that day comes I'll set it up the way it truly deserves

Until then. I'll love my parents and cherish every moment I still have even if they did royally piss me off.

I'm not as happy with the room as I was but I'll be able to tolerate it.

Sorry about the rant just needed to get this off my chest

Should have paid for it all myself and done what the f@!! I wanted but my pops wanted to share this do this together which is cool but the only issue is I lost some leverage which turned around and bit me in the ass

When it's all finalized Ill let you guys know and hit this post back up it was still fun sharing the build with you so you guys can hopefully learn off of some of my experiences

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I haven’t heard much about SVS Ultra Surrounds. Curious whether you like duet mode more than bipole or dipole.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis