lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not Dirac related. You use the miniDSP for BEQ. It's for all movie formats.
No issues with the AVR thus far.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You mean the minidsp capabilites if not Dirac specific? It's not called BEQ in that respect in any case....except by you perhaps.

J

jbncccb

Audiophyte

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
So - having ordered my Integra 3.4 (Same as Onkyo NR7100, but with pre-outs) AVR in September 2021, it finally arrived on Monday....

I am glad I waited.

So here is the quick review...

My System :

Speakers
Front L/R Gallo Reference 3.1
C Gallo Reference AV Center
Surround L/R PSB Alpha Intro
Sub Gallo TR2
TV Sony X90H

Current AVR being replaced
Onkyo TX-SR876 (2008, 30kg, 140W/ch beast - Audyssey XT) - no HDMI inputs (burnt out) - SPDIF
also Integra DTR 70.4, same amp as 876 (same weight too!), let out its magic smoke recently - Audyssey XT32 - both of these sounded best without Audyssey - run straight. - although for Movies I often activated Audyssey so I could listen late at night using the Dynamic EQ function. (Loudness)

Power amps 2x Crown XLS2500 - not connected in a while, have been running the 876 the last 6 months since the 70.4 failed... the Crowns are intended to be configured with their onboard crossover to BiAmp the Front L/R.

Box arrived and was unpacked - nicely built unit, looks a lot like the old 70.4, but weighs half as much... the lightness is not promising from a class AB amp perspective! it is both shorter in height and depth, than the old ones (possibly a good thing... they are/were huge!)
I can easily pop the new unit into the rack, not much effort - taking the old beast out on the other hand requires great care, and is easiest with 2 people - it is HEAVY.

For starters I just plugged in the 3.4 on its own, simply replacing the 876, and feeding it via HDMI.

I had a brief listen... 10 to 15min - definite lack of body, it sounds a bit coarser perhaps in the mids and highs - hard to tell... but definitely not as good as the 876 (both were being run with no RoomEQ) .
Rerun speaker cables, set up for Biamping - connect up the 2 x Crowns, set up their onboard crossovers to 125Hz, and set their gain to around 75%
Manually set levels for all speakers....

First listen of the Integra DRX 3.4 with the Crowns - setup as planned...

Ahh that's definitely better ... in fact it is very good, better than the 876 on its own (I think?)- hard to tell, but at least in the same ballpark - it is sounding good.

Hmm OK, lets try Dirac.... - first run using only the AVR on its own.... quick set of measurements and a listen.... - ooh this is sound good....
Midrange and mid-highs are definitely clearer - tried a couple of movie clips - vocals / dialogue is much much clearer - this is far better than Audyssey (at least in my setup).
Downsides... the bass is sounding a bit "plummy" - sounds like a mid bass boost... need to try a more thorough measurement and analysis - and that's what the Dirac PC app is well suited to.

Did a bit of viewing that evening - was great watching Peaky Binders on Netflix... definitely an upgrade from my previous setup - and most of the improvement seems directly due to Dirac - definitely feeling vindicated about my wait for the Dirac Based Onkyo/Integra unit....
Let's see if I can resolve that bass issue.

Next day - I ran up the Dirac PC app on my laptop - still using the Puck MIC connected to the AVR for measurements - Puck is attached to me old camera tripod.
I ran the full 17 point Dirac measurement across our 3 seater couch.

Then I brought up the resulting measurements - loaded a Harman +4db target curve, and adjusted it a little by applying a slight rolloff at the high end - adjusted some of the curtains (up for the surrounds, down for bass on the fronts)

Initial listening response: - fantastic - the plumminess is gone! (so I must have measured wrong the day before) - system is sounding better than it ever has - better detail, smooth, deep base - soundstage....

Looking forward to further listening over coming weeks - my initial response is that YES, Dirac is a game changer - dramatic improvement from Audyssey.

The AVR on its own is too underpowered for my speakers - but that was expected - they can be a difficult load, and that would not apply to many/most setups/speakers.

But the AVR is an excellent prepro, based on my listening - and its internal amps are more than adequate to run a pair of surrounds and the center....

When I have the time, I will try to set up some height speakers....

For those on the fence - I would suggest hanging on for the Dirac AVR's rather than succumbing to the lure of Audyssey....

D

deraeler

Enthusiast
I recently fell in love with RZ50 - still can't get them anywhere tho - except at inflated prices.

If I may ask, what is your take on the Integra DRX-3.4?
Integra is now under the same umbrella as Onkyo - PAC/Sharp - a conglomerate that now includes Klipsch, Magnat, Pioneer, Elite and Jamo. Recognizing for the moment that each of these companies are still somewhat distinct, if I drink the KoolAid that Integra is publishing it seems they are very focused on quality control, premium component selection and customer service. And...I've heard some quasi-nightmares about Onkyo's customer service...

I really like the Integra, and would be interested in your views.

May I ask....what's the big deal with DiRAC? I mean, in the end it's just room EQ right, like Audyssey? I've used Audyssey in the past with my Marantz receivers, and I agree it helps a bit, but it's far from the most crucial aspect of any of these receivers (IMHO). I find reliability, in/out flexibility, EQ options, clean power, and panel controls far more significant selling points. Just my .02. Am I missing something?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW Integra has just been another Onkyo brand for quite a long time....their "installer" series I think they call it. I'd simply compare features between any particular Integra and Onkyo. Dirac uses a slightly different (and newer) tech than Audyssey. Some prefer Dirac, particularly for just 2ch applications.

D

deraeler

Enthusiast
I recently fell in love with RZ50 - still can't get them anywhere tho - except at inflated prices.

If I may ask, what is your take on the Integra DRX-3.4?
Integra is now under the same umbrella as Onkyo - PAC/Sharp - a conglomerate that now includes Klipsch, Magnat, Pioneer, Elite and Jamo. Recognizing for the moment that each of these companies are still somewhat distinct, if I drink the KoolAid that Integra is publishing it seems they are very focused on quality control, premium component selection and customer service. And...I've heard some quasi-nightmares about Onkyo's customer service...

I really like the Integra, and would be interested in your views.

May I ask....what's the big deal with DiRAC? I mean, in the end it's just room EQ right, like Audyssey? I've used Audyssey in the past with my Marantz receivers, and I agree it helps a bit, but it's far from the most crucial aspect of any of these receivers (IMHO). I find reliability, in/out flexibility, EQ options, clean power, and panel controls far more significant selling points. Just my .02. Am I missing something?
[update] - I just saw dlaloum's review which included the Integra DRX3.4 - sounds like DIRAC is making a big difference ...so I'm feeling better about my love of the Integra unit...even though I would not be using external (ie: Crown) amps. Still interested in any other opinions/insights...thanks!

N

noclue

Audioholic
I got a integra 3.4 and the HDMI board didn't work right apple tv said it went back to standard vision, I just set up how many speakers i had and listened to it with out calibrating it sounded ok for so few watts.
Integra used to be a higher end brand not sure now days but at least the back was white need pre outs for for a amp and it has it don't care that much for THX it is to loud.
Returned it because it would not come back on again after i shut it down have a new one coming in

S

Serpeant

Audiophyte
I'm trying to use banana speaker plugs on the RZ50 pre-out.

The red pre-outs have a black bit of plastic in the middle blocking the banana plugs. Can this be removed?

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

The red pre-outs have a black bit of plastic in the middle blocking the banana plugs. Can this be removed?
Not to nit pick, but pre-outs and banana plugs are different things. Pre-out typically refers to the line level output on the back of the AVR/pre-pro and banana plugs are on the amp section to power speakers.

Anyway, most of the time you can unscrew the banana plug all the way then remove the plug. Screw the cap back on and you're ready to go. It's annoying to have to do that, I know all too well. Some manufacturers make it easier than others though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Doubt the pre-outs came with anything blocking them, sounds more like you're describing the speaker amp terminals, where they do sometimes put plugs in due some concern that someone in europe will use it as an ac mains plug-in. I've sometimes been able to unscrew and easily remove them, sometimes I've needed a pick (like a seal pick). But if they are pre-outs, then bananas are the wrong connector/use.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Not to nit pick, but pre-outs and banana plugs are different things. Pre-out typically refers to the line level output on the back of the AVR/pre-pro and banana plugs are on the amp section to power speakers.

Anyway, most of the time you can unscrew the banana plug all the way then remove the plug. Screw the cap back on and you're ready to go. It's annoying to have to do that, I know all too well. Some manufacturers make it easier than others though.
Yes they do - which is really annoying - and yes you can remove them simply and easily with a set of needle nose plyers - I think it is a safety requirement for some countries, so they have made it universal to facilitate manufacturing - removing them is quick and easy.

S

Serpeant

Audiophyte
Doubt the pre-outs came with anything blocking them, sounds more like you're describing the speaker amp terminals. I've sometimes been able to unscrew and easily remove them, sometimes I've needed a pick (like a seal pick).
You are correct, they are speaker terminals.

I've tried to unscrew it to take out the black centre but it doesn unscrew.

I've tried to jam a scewer in there to take it out and that doesnt work either.

Has anyone actually removed them?

Do the pliers work? I dont want to wreck them!

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Yes I removed them, as I use banana plugs.

I removed them by using fine needle nose pliers, that could grab the piece of the plastic plug that stuck out of the banana plug hole...

They are simply little plastic plugs - they are not screwed in, or otherwise attached, simply held by friction.

There was enough sticking out for my needle nose (small!! needle nose) to get a grip, and then a gentle pull and they came out. - if it takes more than a gentle pull, you are probably gripping something other than the plugs!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

You can also take a very tiny screw just screw it into the plug just barely enough to catch into the plug dont screw it into any part of the terminal! Lol. Grab onto the screw with pliers and pull the plug out

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I've not used pliers particularly, but the pick set has one shaped like the one on the far right here I found best to use....
pickset.jpg

K

kalkent

Enthusiast
I just read the asr review and a lot of this stuff went over my head.

So I have a question about using the rz50 with 4 ohm speakers.

In real world situation where we are listing at -15 to -20 would this likely trip the avr and send it into only producing the 30w/ ch that has been mentioned in this thread?

Or is that only once it reached reference level sound?

I'm tossing up between this avr at $2100 and an anthem mrx740 at $3500 and am struggling to see the double the price benefit of the anthem.

Also, if it makes a difference I'm running a 3ch amc power amp for my lcr, it's rated at 240w/ch into 4 ohms. Hopefully that's a correct rating.

Thanks

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I just read the asr review and a lot of this stuff went over my head.

So I have a question about using the rz50 with 4 ohm speakers.

In real world situation where we are listing at -15 to -20 would this likely trip the avr and send it into only producing the 30w/ ch that has been mentioned in this thread?

Or is that only once it reached reference level sound?

I'm tossing up between this avr at $2100 and an anthem mrx740 at $3500 and am struggling to see the double the price benefit of the anthem.

Also, if it makes a difference I'm running a 3ch amc power amp for my lcr, it's rated at 240w/ch into 4 ohms. Hopefully that's a correct rating.

Thanks
What speakers are you going to use? If they're demanding enough, an AVR amp might not be up to snuff. If you've got an external amp already, which it sounds like you do, then I wouldn't worry so much about the amp section of whatever AVR you're trying to choose from.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis