Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I'm still very curious about the new Onkyo AVRs. My office speakers aren't demanding so I wouldn't ever run into the issues Amir pointed out.

Nothing will happen till my current Onkyo dies though.
Umm, I see your on to me huh brother. ;) when I read ASR's findings, after all the head smacking us Yammy fanboys had to take after all the sh$t Yamaha put us new Aventage owners through, well umm nothing wrong with a little pay back huh? :D
All in fun bro, just trying to get this thread going again, it's been kind of stagnant.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I read the owner's manual and am quite impressed with the specs. This thing can do 120 W, 8 ohms, 20-20,000 Hz at 0.08% THD, that's about as good as the Denon AVR-X4700H, or Marantz SR7015.

It failed ASR's test, likely just due to the way their protection software works. If enough users complain, they may be able to fix that via FW. If not, users just have to know when to back off the volume. I am with HD on this, for real world use, don't let those continuous sine wave tests worry you too much.
Or just run it as a pre pro the pre outs had plenty of headroom and measured well if I remember correctly from the review

$1300 for a pre pro with Dirac is not bad at all when you consider how expensive everything else is

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You gotta' laugh some times and not get crazy over some of this s#%t. I've said it many times. I loved my Denon receivers. I even love that crazy little one eyed f#%ker from Yamaha I keep around here. He's good for some laughs. My Onkyos have been great so far. I like them and I currently believe Onkyos have the best feature set for the money. Yamaha is asking too much money and including too many limitations on their Avantage models. I think Denons are solid but I wouldn't spend the money on the X3700H and would go a little bit higher and get the X4700H for the added features and flexibility. But, that's just me. Everybody will spend as much as they want on whatever they want in their own setup. As long as they can get what they want and like it, it's all good.:)

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You gotta' laugh some times and not get crazy over some of this s#%t. I've said it many times. I loved my Denon receivers. I even love that crazy little one eyed f#%ker from Yamaha I keep around here. He's good for some laughs. My Onkyos have been great so far. I like them and I currently believe Onkyos have the best feature set for the money. Yamaha is asking too much money and including too many limitations on their Advantage models. I think Denon are solid but I wouldn't spend the money on the X3700H and would go a little bit higher and get the X4700H for the added features and flexibility. But, that's just me. Everybody will spend as much as they want on whatever they want in their own setup. As long as they can get what they want and like it, it's all good.:)
Honestly in a proper blinded test I don't think I could tell a single difference in any of my recievers I've owned

Preferences have come down to you as you pointed out feature sets and factors like that. And when that is factored in onkyo has always been one of my favorites

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Or just run it as a pre pro the pre outs had plenty of headroom and measured well if I remember correctly from the review

$1300 for a pre pro with Dirac is not bad at all when you consider how expensive everything else is
Does it has the version that can time align two subwoofers though? If it doesn't then I would still prefer Denon or Marantz, though the Onkyo's lower price is tempting.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Does it has the version that can time align two subwoofers though? If it doesn't then I would still prefer Denon or Marantz, though the Onkyo's lower price is tempting.
That's a great question I'll have to look I don't know does anyone know by chance we have a few owners on this thread

Theetjuh

Theetjuh

Enthusiast
Nope, you need a miniDSP for that.
Maybe the coming RZ70 and PR90, they seem to be getting DLBC but nothing official yet.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
My notes on the ASR review.

This is a midrange avr and not a flagship. It weighs almost half my old onkyo tx-sr876 60lb's

Almost all the weight is in the transformer, needless to say, its power supply is limited.

When you run into low impedance loads ( 4 ohm ) you need double ( or more ) the current.

So they have designed with good peak / dynamic power, but limited continuous power, and ability to drive difficult speakers.

As a prepro it ranks quite well, not state of the art, but good. And it can put out 3.5v through the pre outs, which makes it easily compatible with most any power amp.

Big game changer bonus: dirac, at a price most people can afford.
In terms of overall impact on sound quality in this price bracket... dirac could be a game changer. ( and that's what many users are reporting).

Personally, I have ordered the integra DRX 3.4. It's equivalent to the NR7100, but with a full set of pre outs.

I have amps for my l/c/r, and the built in amps will be ample for surround and height speakers.

I think of it as an economical prepro, with built in surround amps.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
My notes on the ASR review.

This is a midrange avr and not a flagship. It weighs almost half my old onkyo tx-sr876 60lb's

Almost all the weight is in the transformer, needless to say, its power supply is limited.

When you run into low impedance loads ( 4 ohm ) you need double ( or more ) the current.

So they have designed with good peak / dynamic power, but limited continuous power, and ability to drive difficult speakers.

As a prepro it ranks quite well, not state of the art, but good. And it can put out 3.5v through the pre outs, which makes it easily compatible with most any power amp.

Big game changer bonus: dirac, at a price most people can afford.
In terms of overall impact on sound quality in this price bracket... dirac could be a game changer. ( and that's what many users are reporting).

Personally, I have ordered the integra DRX 3.4. It's equivalent to the NR7100, but with a full set of pre outs.

I have amps for my l/c/r, and the built in amps will be ample for surround and height speakers.

I think of it as an economical prepro, with built in surround amps.
I'd love to hear Onkyo's RZ50, it's got a very nice feature set built into it.

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
All good points... just 2 questions really need answered...
-What conditions trigger it and how common is it to trigger it?
-Can the behavior be changed so it doesn't stay in limited mode after it is triggered. Right now the owner would not know it is in a limited state.
Still I wonder if a Dirac unit without DLBC is as good as an Audyssey XT32 unit with subeq ht with multiple subs for EQing bass.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't Yamahas generally have aggressive power limiting as well? Is it often a real-life issue for them?

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
All good points... just 2 questions really need answered...
-What conditions trigger it and how common is it to trigger it?
-Can the behavior be changed so it doesn't stay in limited mode after it is triggered. Right now the owner would not know it is in a limited state.
Still I wonder if a Dirac unit without DLBC is as good as an Audyssey XT32 unit with subeq ht with multiple subs for EQing bass.
A few people have - since the test report identified the issue - tried to push their system to the max... to see if it is all OK...
One person reported temperatures of circa 68C - without any issues or protection circuit kicking in.

So far it has been uncommon to have the protection come on, outside of artificial tests.

No one has identified a way of bringing it out of protection mode, aside from a cold boot (power off restart).... yet?

Swings and roundabouts - a multisub XT32 setup has advantages - but I have been unhappy with the overall sound of XT32... so am looking forward to trying Dirac.

N

noclue

Audioholic
Mine was delayed got a email stating that they did not get in as many as they expected to get hopefully i will get one on the next shipment.

N

noclue

Audioholic
Also wonder if i should set up and tune my subs with the mini dsp or wait till after I calibrate the speakers.

J

jbncccb

Audiophyte
Love my RZ-50. My front stage are all 4ohm, but I'm using an external amp for those and the rear Surrounds. Running my 4 Atmos speakers off the AVR.

The internal cooling fan has never even kicked on that I've noticed. The top of the AVR gets to about 110°F if really cranking on an action movie. I think a lot of the heat is generated from the Video features.

Dirac is a game changer. Although i will likely invest in a miniDSP for my dual subs and add the ability to use BEQ.

No disappointment here.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Love my RZ-50. My front stage are all 4ohm, but I'm using an external amp for those and the rear Surrounds. Running my 4 Atmos speakers off the AVR.

The internal cooling fan has never even kicked on that I've noticed. The top of the AVR gets to about 110°F if really cranking on an action movie. I think a lot of the heat is generated from the Video features.

Dirac is a game changer. Although i will likely invest in a miniDSP for my dual subs and add the ability to use BEQ.

No disappointment here.

Did you try the avr without external amp for your speakers first? What is BEQ?

J

jbncccb

Audiophyte
Did you try the avr without external amp for your speakers first? What is BEQ?
I didn't try without the external amp. Bought everything as a package so just hooked it all up.

There are several threads on AVS forum about BEQ. (Bass Equalization). Essentially many of the movies released today have a compressed sound pkg in the 15-30 hz range. (Mostly due to the sound bar market, and maximizing data space for higher quality video).
Movie Theatres don't have this problem. With BEQ you load certain filters for a given movie which unlocks the sound range in the above frequencies. From what I have read it is unbelievable difference in the movie sound quality.
Special software is used to decode the movie and produce the filter specs. Thousands of movie files are available free.

url=https://www.avsforum.com/threads/bass-eq-for-filtered-movies.2995212/&share_tid=2995212&share_fid=47413&share_type=t&link_source=app

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't try without the external amp. Bought everything as a package so just hooked it all up.

There are several threads on AVS forum about BEQ. (Bass Equalization). Essentially many of the movies released today have a compressed sound pkg in the 15-30 hz range. (Mostly due to the sound bar market, and maximizing data space for higher quality video).
Movie Theatres don't have this problem. With BEQ you load certain filters for a given movie which unlocks the sound range in the above frequencies. From what I have read it is unbelievable difference in the movie sound quality.
Special software is used to decode the movie and produce the filter specs. Thousands of movie files are available free.

url=https://www.avsforum.com/threads/bass-eq-for-filtered-movies.2995212/&share_tid=2995212&share_fid=47413&share_type=t&link_source=app

Is "bass eq" a particular thing with Dirac implementation/terminology? It's not elsewhere....

Sounds like a streaming issue more than a content issue in general for the limitations in content.

Was more curious if you had any issues using the avr on it's own rather than with external amps....

J

jbncccb

Audiophyte
Not Dirac related. You use the miniDSP for BEQ. It's for all movie formats.
No issues with the AVR thus far.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis