Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
I am planing to pre- order the RZ50 not impressed with V6A .

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I'm really enjoying my RZ50. The one thing that's bothering me about it over the Denon it replaced is that the TV can't sync without turning it on and off a couple times. With the Denon it always just worked.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I'm really enjoying my RZ50. The one thing that's bothering me about it over the Denon it replaced is that the TV can't sync without turning it on and off a couple times. With the Denon it always just worked.
That AVR is a beast, CEC issues aren't uncommon at all with TV to AVR audio and or video. Especially with older 4K TVs. This is the first time that I haven't had a CEC issues with a 4K tv to AVR. But my 4K TV is new 2021 model also so maybe they worked out some bug's? Hopefully it'll continue in my use with no CEC issues.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
That AVR is a beast, CEC issues aren't uncommon at all with TV to AVR audio and or video. Especially with older 4K TVs. This is the first time that I haven't had a CEC issues with a 4K tv to AVR. But my 4K TV is new 2021 model also so maybe they worked out some bug's? Hopefully it'll continue in my use with no CEC issues.
If I turn on the TV first, wait a moment then turn on the AVR it's fine. Just can't do it the other way around.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
If I turn on the TV first, wait a moment then turn on the AVR it's fine. Just can't do it the other way around.
I had a issues with CEC, where only watching over the air live tv I would get a buzzing sound from my speakers when I would change channels. Thought it was a amp issue in the AVR. It only did that on that source. As soon as I would change the channel it went away, watching awhile change channels and buzzing back again. Went into the tv audio settings did a hard reset and buzzing never happened again. Now was it a CEC issue, I'd say it was. But who really knows the one's who designed that technology probably don't even know.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
There is a CEC setting each for TV and AVR. Did you recheck?? What remote are you using? Is the remote sync'd for both devices??? There must be some other settings?

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
Any reviews as yet for those who received their units already?..

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Any reviews as yet for those who received their units already?..
There are some subjective reviews on YouTube but not a lot out there from regular users. All the reviews are subjective nothing with actual measurements yet

Smitty4ut

Smitty4ut

Audiophyte
I have the Pioneer VSX-LX505. It is basically the same as the RZ-50. The RZ-50 has the THX stuff, and the LX505 has a couple of features that the RZ doesn't. I have had the unit for almost 2 months now. So far, I think the Dirac has made a huge difference in my system. My surround field is better than it has ever been. Dialect is clearer to me, I can listen at lower levels and still hear what people are saying. I am hearing things in movies, that I never heard before. I had a Marantz SR6013 that stopped working before this. It is in for repairs. Always had HDMI issues with the Marantz. Most of the time when I turned on Apple TV I would get an 8" white flashing bar on the bottom of my tv. Never even used CEC with the Marantz. I have CEC turned on now, and no issues with the Apple TV connecting. CEC seems to work great most of the time. Sometimes though, it will also turn on my Pioneer UDP 4k Blu-ray player. Only happens every once in a while. The web interface is really helpful. You can even see the temp the unit is running at. It also shows if the fan is running, and I have never seen the fan come on at all. I do not have a tv capable of doing the HDMI 2.1 stuff yet. Most of the people that I have seen online that do, say that it does work well. I also do not use the amps in the unit. I have an XPA-5 that runs my main speakers. I have not had any issues using the preouts to it. This unit has been one of the best upgrades that I have done to my system in a long time. Hope this helps to put some of the questions to rest.

N

noclue

Audioholic
will the RZ50 handle 4 ohm speakers ok?
OR would these be any good have not heard much about them
Magnat Transpuls 1500

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Can they handle 4 ohm speakers ok - yes... they are specified for 4 ohm (and have been tested)

BUT: from experience with past Onkyo models, if your nominally 4 ohm speakers drop down to 2 ohm or below at some frequencies, they may struggle. (Which is why I have run an external set of amps for L / C / R )

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can they handle 4 ohm speakers ok - yes... they are specified for 4 ohm (and have been tested)

BUT: from experience with past Onkyo models, if your nominally 4 ohm speakers drop down to 2 ohm or below at some frequencies, they may struggle. (Which is why I have run an external set of amps for L / C / R )
What's your 2 ohm amp of choice?

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
If price is no object Krell but not one of the differential (bridged) models, or electrocompaniet AW400.

The Quad current dumpers (606, 707, 909, QSP, Artera) are OK... but getting into 2 ohm is pushing them hard

Look for amps that double the wattage going from 8ohm to 4 ohm, then double it again going from 4 to 2 ohm - if they even get close to doing that - they will handle 2 ohm easily

Crown XLS series handle 2 ohm with ease, and are very reasonably priced (no snob value though!)

Rule of thumb for how much guts any amp has into difficult loads - reverse the maths from 2 ohm up - take the 2 ohm wattage and divide it by 4 - that will be the effective 8ohm wattage for difficult loads.

Quite a few 140W amps end up having the equivalent of 40 watts for difficult loads

Last edited:
S

Saltydog

Audiophyte
Has anyone tried the Bluetooth TX or RX and had any issues. I can not get a reliable connection that stays connected within the same room. I have tried connecting my phone to the receiver and it will not stay connected. I have tried connecting the receiver to a wireless speaker and to ear buds. Very hard to get them to pair, and when they do, it tends to lose the connection. This is whether I am a few feet away or further.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis