The Great January Audio Gear Exchange

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
This weekend, a small get-together of several AHers happened. There were actually five AH members involved, myself, Alex (Alex2507), Kurt (KEW), Dennis Murphy, and Dan. Kurt drove from Georgia near Atlanta, Alex drove from Rhode Island near Providence, and they meet at my house in Maryland near Washington, DC. Kurt arrived Friday evening, and Alex arrived Saturday morning. Later on Saturday, we went to Dennis Murphy’s house, about 15 miles away, for some very important business and thereo met up with Dan, my brother and fellow audioholic.

This all began because I wanted to get rid of the parts for a pair of DIY bookshelf speakers, yet to be built, that had been sitting in a closet for too long. I had originally bought them as a wedding present for a nephew, but I eventually understood he wasn’t really interested in owning an audio system. I thought he would change his mind, but I was wrong. I eventually found a buyer in Alex. At first I thought I could send him all the parts and be rid of them. It gradually morphed from send all the parts, to assemble the crossover boards and send all the parts, to assemble the crossover boards and cut the holes for the drivers, to what the hell, just build them. See the MB27 build thread: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/diy-corner-tips-techniques/81354-building-your-first-diy-speaker-mb27.html.

Last September, I was ready to FedEx them to Alex, when he said “Wait, something is in the works.” A bit earlier, Kurt had put his SongTowers up for sale, because he had ordered a pair of Philharmonic 3s from Dennis Murphy. Of course, Alex jumped on them. Kurt no longer had boxes for the STs, so to save on packing & shipping, Kurt and Alex decided to meet in Maryland, where Kurt would take possession of the new Phil 3s and deliver the STs to Alex.

As I learned about all this, I wondered how they could drive all that distance in one day. I also felt morally obliged to prevent the possibility of an interstate version of twister taking place in some sordid Motel 6 in Maryland. So I invited them to stay at my house for what became the Great January Audio Exchange.

But wait – there’s more!

In addition to the 3 pairs of speakers already mentioned, the SongTowers, MB27s, and Phil 3s, other audio gear got added. Kurt also owned a pair of Infinity 360s. Alex had plans for them that involved comparing them to his old 360s with cabinet modifications and eventual resale. So Kurt brought them along. Kurt also had a 7-channel big-iron Aragon amplifier gathering dust. Guess who wanted that?

There’s still more. Kurt had found someone not too far from me in Maryland selling a Yamaha A-S700 integrated amplifier. So, the weekend before Christmas, I picked it up and kept it until the Philharmonics were done.

So with all this going on, I had to prepare some worthy food for the weary travelers. I hadn’t smoked a brisket in about 2 years, so that became my contribution. I took Friday off as I did the 7-8 hour long smoking ritual. I had just finished that late Friday afternoon, when Kurt showed up, tired from 2 days of driving. He had left home Thursday morning and spent that night at a friend’s home in western North Carolina. I immediately found Kurt friendly and easy to get along with – very good start to the weekend. We kept it relaxing and low key that evening as bigger things were soon to happen.

Saturday morning, a bit after 11 am, Alex showed up. He had left Rhode Island about 7 hours earlier. This was my first meeting with him too. To say that it was fun is a giant understatement. He was sufficiently awed by seeing his new STs standing in the family room.

By early afternoon, we set off to Dennis Murphy’s house for the big event – the Phil 3s. I’ve been to Dennis’s enough so that it’s old hat to me, so I’ll let Kurt and Alex comment on what they saw there. My brother Dan also met us there. He had no direct role to play but didn’t want to miss out on any fun. It was while we were there, that I dared Alex to be the ultimate audio groupie for an audio rock star and ask for Dennis’s autograph. In the one photo I have, see what Alex is holding.

By roughly 4 pm we had packed up the Phil 3s in Kurts car and returned to my house. Then it was time to listen to music on the new speakers and pig out on smoked brisket and homemade bbq sauce. We left the Phils in Kurt’s car because we heard them plenty at Dennis’s and it was just too much to unload them only to reload them on Sunday. We spent a good part of the evening listening to my STs (with dome tweeters), Alex’s ribbon tweeter STs, and Alex’s new MB27s. Alex was a bit like a kid at his own birthday party. He had quite a haul.

Now, it’s Sunday afternoon, and I’m pretty tired. Alex and Kurt took off with their precious cargos carefully packed up, and I’m really glad I don’t have to face the long drives they have. Drive carefully and arrive safely.

I want to single out and thank my wife, Bonnie, for putting up with all this audio nonsense and graciously helping me welcome these friendly strangers and getting plenty of good food on the table for them.

Despite the goofy-looking serious expressions in the photo, we had a real fine time :D!

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
That's awesome!! You're a generous guy (with a generous wife :)) to host them, and it sounds like everyone had a great time. Quite an exchange of equipment, indeed! I can't wait to read their impressions of their new gear and the event.

I also felt morally obliged to prevent the possibility of an interstate version of twister taking place in some sordid Motel 6 in Maryland. So I invited them to stay at my house...
Sounds like someone didn't want to be left out... :D

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
You're a good man Swerd! Sounds like a good time had by all!:cool:

I might have to find my way to hear some Phils... The wife and I were very impressed by what we heard when we hung out in the Salk room during the AH GTG in Florida. It makes me naturally interested in hearing the different Philharmonic speakers.:cool:

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Good job Swerd that was really nice of you to host...
So do you have a picture of this Brisket? Or maybe a recipe or ingredient list...

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Sounds like a fun time! Alex looks nothing like I've pictured him...very human and not at all deranged in appearance :p

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
So do you have a picture of this Brisket? Or maybe a recipe or ingredient list...
Like a dope, a hungry dope, I forgot to take a picture of it.

I can send you the recipe if you PM me with an email address.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Alex looks nothing like I've pictured him...very human and not at all deranged in appearance :p
That's because that was photoshopped. There are a couple of good undoctored ones of him here that I recommend - one where he just won the Twister title, and one where he picked up a box of "special" beads from another member.

:D

Last edited:
macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Sounds like a hoot! Now back to the brisket.. Do you smoke a whole one, or just the flat, or the point in 8 hours?
my in laws bought me a giddy-up smoker last summer and I have the ribs figured out now. On to the brisket :D
cheers, Mac

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
That's because that was photoshopped. There are a couple of good undoctored ones of him here that I recommend - one where he just won the Twister title, and one where he picked up a box of "special" beads from another member.

:D
Hah!! Was the T- shirt photoshopped as well? :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Sounds like a hoot! Now back to the brisket.. Do you smoke a whole one, or just the flat, or the point in 8 hours?
my in laws bought me a giddy-up smoker last summer and I have the ribs figured out now. On to the brisket :D
cheers, Mac
Usually, I smoke one or two flats each as large as 5 lbs. But you can do the point too if you can buy it where you are.

I have a Weber Smoker. I haven't seen a giddy-up smoker, but the name is cool.

Send me a PM with you email address, and I'll send you the recipe. It's in a Word file with a table and I'm having trouble pasting it into the forum text response box.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Hah!! Was the T- shirt photoshopped as well? :D
No, it came with the box of anal beads. :eek:

I didn't read any of this yet but real quick I wanted to say two things. Mrs. Swerd packed Kurt and I lunches for the road. I haven't figured out exactly what to say about that other than a real thanks. Me and food, we go back a long way and share a special bond.

I stopped at Eddie's on the way in as he's about 40 miles in that direction and showed him all the stuff which was pretty cool but when he got to Dennis' autograph, Eddie laughed, called me a groupie and proceeded to lament by adding, "... and so young". It took about 10 minutes of walking around and about 10 miles of driving before the stitch in my side finally eased up.

Oh yeah, Rick wanted to know about how I made out with Cheryl so I'll get that said. I brought in a speaker, then a plinth making her look each time. She liked it a lot and she went to bed. Then I closed the door and proceeded to bring in the MB-27s and the amp like a huge sneaky rat and tucked them away. That's how I made out with Cheryl ... winnin' for now.

More later. I gotta eat and read this. Thanks everybody for everything. BTW, Cheryl was worried that I was getting rid of the STs and cautioned me not to. I don't always win but sometimes when I do ... I win big. It's big for me and I'll mention something else. There's a good reason that people act as good will ambassadors for Salk and Murphy after contact with them or their products.

One more thing: Now I gotta go and stalk Dan.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Lots of tongue, I imagine :p
Can you make this out?

I get called a gentleman by Dennis and a gentleman does not kiss and tell but while I'm here dispensing love advice let me just say ... lick high.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
As big brother says I was just along for the fun of it. I wish I had more time to hear the Song Towers and compare the tweeters between the ribbons and the original dome. I also wish I could have heard more of the Phils especially some of my favprite things but Saturday was not about me so I just hung for the ride. I also liked getting a sneak peak at an unfinished caninet that will be the design of a new Phil speaker :cool:

The brisket (a shared family recipe) was great Rich. You post the recipe although I might have to cast you out of the familia for leaking such a treasured secret. :D I have pictures of one I did on my phone. Here is one I did a while back:

drsdr's Library | Photobucket Nuts the link is to the whole photo library. Go to the sub folder labelled brisket. You can also see my gear of you want as well.

Kurt and Alex it was great meeting you both. Kurt, I would be happy to review your MR any time. Email me the particulars if you want.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I knew I was doing something wrong. Well, I'm off to find the little man in the boat!
That's going to be hard to locate on Adam but happy hunting. :D

Okay, enough of that. Let's give this thread a fighting chance of not being TBT IV.

Let's talk about the Phil3s, Dennis and Kurt for a minute. First of all I was charged with carrying a different Mrs. Swerd bagged lunch to that party but due to heavy ADD I messed that up too. Everybody forgot to bring cameras.

Dennis and Kurt both play instruments. They speak a funny language with words like 'attack' and talk about some 'edge' on a trumpet but nobody got hurt and I didn't see any trumpets however that sh!t shook the f^%&in' floor. I understood that part 100%. I first heard the Phil3s at YAA's place while picking up a matching center to those LCY ribbon STs previously mentioned. With all due respect to YAA, Dennis' demo was in a whole different league. That might have had something to do with the fact that nobody asked me what 'I' wanted to listen to but maybe the most important thing that happened there was that after hearing Kurt's musical selection Kurt indicated that he heard what he was listening for.

For me that Phil3 demo showed what me good, loud and low sound like together. There wasn't any sign of room treatments and nobody seemed to care about any of the wires. The small stack of electronics off to the side got little attention and the only real recollection I have of the particulars is the mention of Van Alstine (?) and maybe Dennis said something about 100 watts not even coming close to phasing the Phil3s. There were actually 2 pairs of Phil3s in that room. We only listened to Kurt's and my audio vocabulary isn't really adequate to describe what I heard but I can speak to the concept of compromise. There really wasn't any. Oh wait, the footprint ... because of my lack of space I can't have the Phil3s. These are not some itty bitty black cubes that can double as an awkward headphone. I mean maybe if you really worked out a lot you could put one of these on each shoulder and walk around the house as far as the wire would allow but be prepared to go through doors sideways. I could go on a bit more with this but I don't want to scare off what may prove to be my betters.

I'll get back to more of this audio stuff but I just made Cheryl a cup of Sweet Maria's coffee that Swerd roasted. I cleaned out my grinder first like I saw Swerd do to his and I used a scoop to measure the beans to be ground for that Aero Press. I let it cool for a minute or so before letting Cheryl try it. She commented on how good it was and how my normal coffee sucked. She still hasn't seen the amp even though she walked by it repeatedly. Score. :)

Uhm, this is what we'll get back to eventually.

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae227/Alex2507Audio/Home Theater/PICT0329-1.jpg

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The brisket (a shared family recipe) was great Rich. You post the recipe although I might have to cast you out of the familia for leaking such a treasured secret. :D I have pictures of one I did on my phone. Here is one I did a while back:

drsdr's Library | Photobucket
Dan

Those photos are great, thanks. Mine was just like that :D.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis