The everything Beer thread

annunaki

annunaki

I have had few sours I cared for. I will try them though.

I definitely prefer Big stouts (Imperials), Imperial Porters, Barleywine, Double IPAs, Barrel Aged Quads

Barrel aged are definitely a treat, so long as they are well done. You can't take a mediocre beer, barrel age it, and think it will be good. There is a lot of that out there too unfortunately.

One of the better barrel aged beers I have had lately was The Wolf by 3 Sheeps Brewing. I did just have a 2017 Central Waters BB Aged Scotch ale last night that was quite good also, though the wood sugars seemed to have leeched out a but more in this year's version.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
IPA's, BA and the occasional stout have always been my go to. Never tried a sour, but it doesn't sound like something I'd like. Then there's this, I haven't had a drink in a couple of years now. I drank enough for 4 for a few decades though so I'm still in the game. :p

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Picked this up the other day:
7.2 cu ft freezer
https://www.hisense-usa.com/appliances/refrigerators-freezers/fc72d7awd

Ordered this today:
Inkbird ITC-308 temperature controller
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074NYSHBM/

Rubbermaid thermometer to leave inside the freezer
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KDEFNK/

Need to get some damprid or some other desiccant as well.

Haven't hooked it up yet. Also ordered a hand truck and some straps so I can move the freezer upstairs somewhere.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Picked this up the other day:
7.2 cu ft freezer
https://www.hisense-usa.com/appliances/refrigerators-freezers/fc72d7awd

Ordered this today:
Inkbird ITC-308 temperature controller
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074NYSHBM/

Rubbermaid thermometer to leave inside the freezer
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KDEFNK/

Need to get some damprid or some other desiccant as well.

Haven't hooked it up yet. Also ordered a hand truck and some straps so I can move the freezer upstairs somewhere.
Do I spy the makings of a kegorator?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Do I spy the makings of a kegorator?
Nope :) It'll be a beer cellar. I've got most of my beer in the fridge (not ideal for aging), between 30 and 40 in a wine cooler that sometimes craps out, and then a bunch more in my pantry. Gonna get rid of the wine fridge and only keep a few things in the regular fridge. I plan on keeping most everything in the freezer at 50F.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Nope :) It'll be a beer cellar. I've got most of my beer in the fridge (not ideal for aging), between 30 and 40 in a wine cooler that sometimes craps out, and then a bunch more in my pantry. Gonna get rid of the wine fridge and only keep a few things in the regular fridge. I plan on keeping most everything in the freezer at 50F.
Yeah, I didn't figure you for a keg guy. Not enough choices.

So, I had considered getting a wine fridge for just such use, you didn't have good luck with one? I do know they say not to store beer laying down, but I think you can change up a wine fridge to support that.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I didn't figure you for a keg guy. Not enough choices.

So, I had considered getting a wine fridge for just such use, you didn't have good luck with one? I do know they say not to store beer laying down, but I think you can change up a wine fridge to support that.
I removed all the wire shelves in my wine fridge - it's supposed to hold 18 wine bottles but it can hold ~40 standard 12oz beer bottles with a flat shelf in the middle. Mine is holding a few bottles less because I've got some larger format bottles on the bottom half.

I think it actually works out very well but it is far too small for my needs. The fan also starts grinding every once in awhile so I have to keep messing with it. It's probably a simple replacement and I've got more than enough computer fans available to replace the fan with...I'm just too lazy to do it. Maybe once I move everything into the freezer I'll replace the fan in the wine cooler and sell it or use it for more beer :D

I'll post a pic of the wine fridge when I get home this evening.

annunaki

annunaki

I can see the need for a dedicated space in the lone star state. Many of you don't have basements like we do up north. That is a good idea!

I have actually considered turning an entire utility room in my home into a large walk in cellar! Nothing some R-Board, sealant, compressor, fan, temperature controller and some door gaskets can't do. o_O:)

How many bottles can you fit in the Freezer? What about building your own at say 15ft^3 or more to give you some growing space?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, no basements here. If we can build our own home in the future I'd like to get one if it's not unreasonably expensive.

You should do the room conversion and post pics. I'd love to see it.

Dunno how many bottles will fit because I haven't even found a place to put the freezer yet lol. I'm hoping it's at least 200. No way would my wife be ok with turning a room into a beer storeroom. That could be a future new home thing as well :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, no basements here. If we can build our own home in the future I'd like to get one if it's not unreasonably expensive.

You should do the room conversion and post pics. I'd love to see it.

Dunno how many bottles will fit because I haven't even found a place to put the freezer yet lol. I'm hoping it's at least 200. No way would my wife be ok with turning a room into a beer storeroom. That could be a future new home thing as well :D
Yeah, basements are very difficult for Central TX, too much rock!

It makes a little more sense in DFW, at least for a storm shelter.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Rock in central TX and clay in north TX. Both make it tough for basements I guess.

http://keranews.org/post/why-are-there-so-few-basements-north-texas

Here's one local contractor who builds them: http://www.ntxbsmt.com/

We'll probably be in this house for at least 8 or 10 years and slowly make it a little nicer. We would really love to have a basement in our future house.
Down here, we have no idea of basement maintenance and care, etc!

If I were to ever move to an area where basements are needed, I would need some serious crash-courses in basement maintenance!

Similar to how, down here, if there is ANY snow on the road, the entire city shuts down.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Down here, we have no idea of basement maintenance and care, etc!

If I were to ever move to an area where basements are needed, I would need some serious crash-courses in basement maintenance!

Similar to how, down here, if there is ANY snow on the road, the entire city shuts down.
Yep. I've never been in a basement before. I don't know much about regular home maintenance either to be honest. I'm just figuring things out as I go :D

And yes, our snow/ice management really sucks too. People have no idea how to drive and the city is not quick at treating/cleaning up roads.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yep. I've never been in a basement before. I don't know much about regular home maintenance either to be honest. I'm just figuring things out as I go :D

And yes, our snow/ice management really sucks too. People have no idea how to drive and the city is not quick at treating/cleaning up roads.
Yeah, DFW is really clueless when it comes to snow. They said putting sand on the roads was the best they'd do since salt corrodes car metal. Hitting stuff will break it, but who am I to judge?

Since moving further south snow isn't really going to be an issue here. Flooding is our problem. Yay weather.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, DFW is really clueless when it comes to snow. They said putting sand on the roads was the best they'd do since salt corrodes car metal. Hitting stuff will break it, but who am I to judge?

Since moving further south snow isn't really going to be an issue here. Flooding is our problem. Yay weather.
Yeah, heat index is our real weather problem down here :(

It has actually been fairly nice the last couple of days. I can't wait for some cooler weather.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, heat index is our real weather problem down here :(

It has actually been fairly nice the last couple of days. I can't wait for some cooler weather.
No kidding. Mowing the lawn shouldn't require that I drink a gallon of water during and another after.

Funny, but it doesn't seem as hot here as it does in DFW. There is a breeze most of the time here, not like the dead heat there at all.

Even funnier when I lived in Midland, TX (yuk) it would get to 120 degrees most summers, but I don't remember it ever feeling that hot since wind was always 10mph+

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ugh. 120 degrees. We had a week or so of 120° earlier this summer with a few 110-115° days sprinkled in there to break it up, but yeah. That kind of heat is brutal.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Ugh. 120 degrees. We had a week or so of 120° earlier this summer with a few 110-115° days sprinkled in there to break it up, but yeah. That kind of heat is brutal.
Yeah, one of the things we did that told us outside wasn't happening was when your feet sank into the asphalt. That was a sign that it may be a bit warm.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis