its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
The BA Ten Fidy was 12.49/can actually...just bought another one :D

Last edited:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Made my way over to one of my local growler bars/bottle shops yesterday for a special bottle release. Walked in the door at noon when the bottles released and a few things I wanted were already sold out :(:( I guess I should have showed up well before noon lol.

Ended up buying 1/ea Avery Uncle Jacob's Stout, Firestone Walker Bravo & Parabola, Oskar Blues BA Ten Fidy (mentioned above), Prairie/Evil Twin BA Bible Belt, Prairie Pirate Noir & Prairie Noir, and 4x 16oz tallboys of Epic Double Barrel Big Bad Baptist.

The other two I wanted to get were Martin House Acheron and Community BA Legion but they disappeared first. There were a few more bottles I wanted but I'd already spent more than enough money :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Made my way over to one of my local growler bars/bottle shops yesterday for a special bottle release. Walked in the door at noon when the bottles released and a few things I wanted were already sold out :(:( I guess I should have showed up well before noon lol.

Ended up buying 1/ea Avery Uncle Jacob's Stout, Firestone Walker Bravo & Parabola, Oskar Blues BA Ten Fidy (mentioned above), Prairie/Evil Twin BA Bible Belt, Prairie Pirate Noir & Prairie Noir, and 4x 16oz tallboys of Epic Double Barrel Big Bad Baptist.

The other two I wanted to get were Martin House Acheron and Community BA Legion but they disappeared first. There were a few more bottles I wanted but I'd already spent more than enough money :D
In general, the stuff that I have had from Martin House and Community has been pretty tasty!

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
In general, the stuff that I have had from Martin House and Community has been pretty tasty!
Acheron is Martin House's whiskey barrel aged imperial stout. Canned for the first time this year (missed the initial release) and apparently a few places were still holding on to some. I really wanted the cans but unfortunately I missed them again. I've had it a few times before and really liked it :)

Community makes great beer. Love the BA Legion. The bottles they were releasing were from the most recent batch (aged in Macallan barrels). I bought it when it was first released but wanted to buy some more.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Just got the Uncle Jacob's today. You tried it yet?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Tried both of these. Very good. The Uncle Jacob was fantastic. Made me warm. Cost about $1 per % ABV, but was worth it.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Found out I don't like Sour Ales.

This was a decent strong ale. I've had better.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
For the most part I don't care for sours either. I still try a few every once in awhile :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@panteragstk
@its phillip

Sour beers are the trendy thing right now! Have been for the last couple of years. Seems like it was stouts and barrel aged beers before that, then IPAs before that. At least, that has been my perception for my beer friends in this part of the world.

Beer "snobs" are a trendy crew! No doubt about that.

My favorite sour is Monk's Cafe. And, it is almost like a sweet/sour taste, not a knock your socks off apple cider vinegar flavor. If you don't like this one, then don't even bother with any other sours. There have been a few others that I have liked, and mostly in small doses.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/48/10482/

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
@panteragstk
@its phillip

Sour beers are the trendy thing right now! Have been for the last couple of years. Seems like it was stouts and barrel aged beers before that, then IPAs before that. At least, that has been my perception for my beer friends in this part of the world.

Beer "snobs" are a trendy crew! No doubt about that.

My favorite sour is Monk's Cafe. And, it is almost like a sweet/sour taste, not a knock your socks off apple cider vinegar flavor. If you don't like this one, then don't even bother with any other sours. There have been a few others that I have liked, and mostly in small doses.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/48/10482/

I'll take barrel aged and stouts over sour ale any day. Well, at least the one I got above. Sheesh. I like sour stuff, but that was a bit much.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, sours and hazy IPAs have been all the rage on my beer facebook groups for a long time now.

People going nuts as usual over the JK stuff.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'll take barrel aged and stouts over sour ale any day. Well, at least the one I got above. Sheesh. I like sour stuff, but that was a bit much.
I've had some pretty dang good barrel aged stuff too!

But, I've also had several that were just "too much"....just too much flavor and wood sugars extracted that just did not taste good to me either.

My bro-in-law brews a Tabasco Porter that is incredible! You can find these chipped up used Tabasco barrels at some grocery stores, they are intended to be used as the wood chips for your meat smoker. But, he ages his porter on them, and it is an awesome result! All the heat is on the back end.

I know that this sounds weird, but it is actually really good!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, sours and hazy IPAs have been all the rage on my beer facebook groups for a long time now.

People going nuts as usual over the JK stuff.
Agreed. I could almost say that JK is over-rated. Maybe just a bit over-priced would be a better description.

I mean, their stuff is good, their setup is nice, but I just don't go loopy for it like most of the people around here do.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I've only come across a few BA beers I didn't care for...they had a butterscotch or toffee-like taste to them. BA Old Rasputin XIX was one of them. I finished the first glass but couldn't bring myself to finish the second pint :(

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My last roommate was from the sour/fermenting crowd at Cal Poly San Luis a few years back. I tried several but never really took with me. I'll stick to the "fad" I've been enjoying mostly for the last 20 years or so...serious west coast IPAs :) I do like a good stout now and then but IPA is my go to. Maybe Belgian. The rest, meh.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis