The everything Beer thread

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not in the loop. I know of a German Deli that has German beers, and Total Wine. The latter, which just happens to be somewhat easy to get to (albeit out of the way) home from work occasionally. They carry the Murphy's stout that I like and a lot of other brews from around the globe. The snobby audio guy I know, buys craft beer from somewhere that I can't remember the name of, but some of the stuff he buys goes for something like $15 a bottle. $10 of which has to be the artsy packaging.

I have to admit, the Boddingtons is quite nice. Another ale I like is called, "Old Speckled Hen." Good thirst quenchers, to boot. My ancestry is predominantly English/Irish. I wonder if beer preferences have encroached our DNA over the centuries?
Your snobby audio guy just seems to be a snobby guy without a clue....

I've had the Murphy's (think it was my buddy offering some choice now that I think about it). I try and support local brews. Never liked the big boys much, even when we bought beers at certain cooperative unnamed liquor stores when we were in our teens in San Francisco, we experimented a lot, particularly with imports as otherwise you had just the big corporate swill in most cases, but at that time the higher the alcohol content the more effective it was sort of thing :).....but some of that old gang of ours became early home brewers, some do it professionally now.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Your snobby audio guy just seems to be a snobby guy without a clue....

I've had the Murphy's (think it was my buddy offering some choice now that I think about it). I try and support local brews. Never liked the big boys much, even when we bought beers at certain cooperative unnamed liquor stores when we were in our teens in San Francisco, we experimented a lot, particularly with imports as otherwise you had just the big corporate swill in most cases, but at that time the higher the alcohol content the more effective it was sort of thing :).....but some of that old gang of ours became early home brewers, some do it professionally now.
It's one of those DIY things I would like to try sometime, even from a kit.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've been saying that for years but with friends who already do it and lot of other options, never really have spent the time setting it up. I may get to it this year :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I haven't had a drink in a couple years now, but I started developing a taste for IPA's before I stopped. I really like that strong, hoppy flavor. Sierra Nevada made a pretty good one.

View attachment 20760

When I was drinking heavy... very heavy, it was a lot of bud light and /or Kahlua and vodka. I started getting into micro brews and the like right before I gave it up.
I'm your guy for IPA recommendations! Finally another IPA lover on here!

That Sierra Nevada Torpedo is pretty good for sure, but try to find the Tropical Torpedo, even tastier:
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/251571/

I just had the Bell's Two Hearted Ale ON TAP for the first time last night! I have had it before, but not on tap. Down in Texas, we just started getting this beer available here maybe 6 weeks ago.
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/1093/

And, I had an IPA from the local brewpub (Draught House, been in business for about 45 years!) last night that was also really good, but it is also my new favorite beer name of all time: "Don't Haze Me Bro".

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I went from drinking beer for the sole purpose of getting drunk, until I found out I was going to be a dad. Dropped it entirely up until about a year ago since the kids are grown. Never have been a fan of the major brands associated with Americana, or what I have come to know as 'habitual beer' just to be drinking. What I do really enjoy as a dinner beverage is stout. Lately I have been giving the ales a try. I do enjoy these as well. This is probably old news for all the brew-heads but I really like this, or this style. Never would have dreamed in a million years I would like something like this.

That is a good one, I haven't had that in a long time either!

Kind of similar, but with a bit more body and flavor, and it also comes in a nitro can:
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/148/1163/

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Love hoppy IPAs. We have some good ones here in Orygun. However, I have always been fond of the Lagunitas brand (friends of mine knew these guys as garage brewers way back). I especially like this one, ever see it down your way? View attachment 20761
That one is good. If you notice, it is a bit cheaper than most other real hoppy beers. I'm pretty sure that is because they actually use a hop oil extract on that one. Not saying that is bad or good, just saying.

I REALLY like the Lagunitas Brown Shugga and the Maximus! For quite a while, I thought Lagunitas was over-rated, but not anymore. If you want a good story, go read up on the "Undercover Shutdown Ale" and how it got its name, that is freaking classic ;)

Several years ago, Lagunitas took over the local brewpub (Draught House) for a tap takeover. The owner was there drinking with us too. Buy a pint and get a sweet Lagunitas mason jar mug. But, guess what, all the "regular" beers were FREE, they were ONLY charging $ for the cask / firkin beers! Dang, I got D-R-U-N-K that day! And, the best part, it was all an event to donate the proceeds to the blue dog rescue non-profit.

Finally--Hoppy beers in Oregon? Nah, couldn't be. Yeah, I LOVE the west coast IPA styles.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, I was a homebrewer for 10+ years. I have already pretty much retired from that hobby. I may do a keg for a special occasion now and then, or maybe do some special bottles as gifts around Christmas, but that's about the extent of my brewing nowadays.

In my younger days, I maintained about 50 gallons of beer at home at all times :cool::eek:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Love hoppy IPAs. We have some good ones here in Orygun. However, I have always been fond of the Lagunitas brand (friends of mine knew these guys as garage brewers way back). I especially like this one, ever see it down your way? View attachment 20761
We have Lagunitas here and I liked it as well. We have a couple different beers by them where I work(ed?)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That one is good. If you notice, it is a bit cheaper than most other real hoppy beers. I'm pretty sure that is because they actually use a hop oil extract on that one. Not saying that is bad or good, just saying.

I REALLY like the Lagunitas Brown Shugga and the Maximus! For quite a while, I thought Lagunitas was over-rated, but not anymore. If you want a good story, go read up on the "Undercover Shutdown Ale" and how it got its name, that is freaking classic ;)

Several years ago, Lagunitas took over the local brewpub (Draught House) for a tap takeover. The owner was there drinking with us too. Buy a pint and get a sweet Lagunitas mason jar mug. But, guess what, all the "regular" beers were FREE, they were ONLY charging $ for the cask / firkin beers! Dang, I got D-R-U-N-K that day! And, the best part, it was all an event to donate the proceeds to the blue dog rescue non-profit.

Finally--Hoppy beers in Oregon? Nah, couldn't be. Yeah, I LOVE the west coast IPA styles.
Here thr Hop Stoopid is at a slight premium, but the local markets just started getting this in 12oz, was limited to 22oz before. Love Brown Shugga but don't see it much here. We get their IPA, Maximus and Little Sumpin'Sumpin' regularly. When I go back to Norcal I can get more selections, like the Censored, Lucky 13, Undercover Shutdown and Sucks. Their brewpub in Tohnert Park is fun but when I am in the area I try to go to Russian River Brewing for the Plinys.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I had no idea nitro beer was a fad. I remember when Guinness draught in a can with the widget came out but didn't know the different gas was part of why I liked it. I am not a fan of carbonated drinks except for perhaps, Vernors ginger ale. Coffee, and water (not bottled, or iced) have been my two primary beverages since I was a teen. Every once in awhile I'll go on a homemade iced tea kick.

Now, the nitro beer with, or after dinner is something I look forward too. After a trip to Ireland last year, not really excited about most of their food, I really got to give it a try.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Here thr Hop Stoopid is at a slight premium, but the local markets just started getting this in 12oz, was limited to 22oz before. Love Brown Shugga but don't see it much here. We get their IPA, Maximus and Little Sumpin'Sumpin' regularly. When I go back to Norcal I can get more selections, like the Censored, Lucky 13, Undercover Shutdown and Sucks. Their brewpub in Tohnert Park is fun but when I am in the area I try to go to Russian River Brewing for the Plinys.
Yup.....Obviously you go for Pliny any time it is an option! That point is not even open for debate!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just had the Bell's Two Hearted Ale ON TAP for the first time last night! I have had it before, but not on tap. Down in Texas, we just started getting this beer available here maybe 6 weeks ago.
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/1093/

Bells I've yet to have, hear very good things about them, tho, just haven't seen any out here in California or Oregon (or haven't been to the right places yet).

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Bells I've yet to have, hear very good things about them, tho, just haven't seen any out here in California or Oregon (or haven't been to the right places yet).
Two Hearted is really good.

The darling of the Bell's brewery is probably Hop Slam, however. It is an IPA brewed with honey added. It is good and hoppy, but that isn't where it gets you. Where it gets you is that it is 10% abv, but it sure as heck doesn't taste like 10% abv! Next thing you know, you have been "hop slammed" :D

It is a limited / seasonal release. My bro in law typically trades for a couple of cases each year. I wonder if any will make it to Tx this year. A few years ago, they released it in mini-kegs (I think they were 5 Liters)

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/17112/

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A buddy of mine and I brewed a couple batches of some honey mead a handful of years ago. One night we ran out of our store bought and broke into the home brew too early. It did the trick, but it didn't taste right and I had one of the worst hangovers...

The other batches we let mature like they should and it turned out pretty damn good. It was a kit, but a big one. stainless steel kettle, flasks, bottles, hydrometer, all the stuff to make it. We ordered ingredients from the web.

*Edit: I haven't had a drink in a couple years now, but when I did, it was a lot. Too much.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Two Hearted is really good.

The darling of the Bell's brewery is probably Hop Slam, however. It is an IPA brewed with honey added. It is good and hoppy, but that isn't where it gets you. Where it gets you is that it is 10% abv, but it sure as heck doesn't taste like 10% abv! Next thing you know, you have been "hop slammed" :D

It is a limited / seasonal release. My bro in law typically trades for a couple of cases each year. I wonder if any will make it to Tx this year. A few years ago, they released it in mini-kegs (I think they were 5 Liters)

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/17112/
Yes, this! Hop slam is awesome. For my own safety, it's good that it's seasonal. Lol. Two hearted ale is also super delicious.
Surly furious, is good on tap also.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I had no idea nitro beer was a fad. I remember when Guinness draught in a can with the widget came out but didn't know the different gas was part of why I liked it. I am not a fan of carbonated drinks except for perhaps, Vernors ginger ale. Coffee, and water (not bottled, or iced) have been my two primary beverages since I was a teen. Every once in awhile I'll go on a homemade iced tea kick.

Now, the nitro beer with, or after dinner is something I look forward too. After a trip to Ireland last year, not really excited about most of their food, I really got to give it a try.
Nitro in a bar is great. IME, the nitro cans were failures. I had a Guinness, and a Sam Adams nitro IPA. They tasted the same.
I do love a good stout also. Brau brothers Moo-Joos is a great oatmeal stout. Worthy adversary by Fulton(Minneapolis) is amazing too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis