The everything Beer thread

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I have upped my regulars to 4 brands. Still with the Guinness because the grocery up the street carries it. Still buy the Murphy's every few weeks, either 2, or 3 - 10 packs. Still like the Old Speckled Hen and now the Boddingtons, which I really like.

I'll support local business if they are fair or competitively priced. If they fall into that designer trend and overcharge, not so much. They should at least have an affordable yet unique house brand.

I'd like to get into home brew just for the convenience of having it here without driving allover for something different. I go thru maybe 10 beers/wk. Last summer it was a bit more than that, especially after yard work. Turns out that stout is a perfect end to such an ugly chore. :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You ever do anything from Jester King? They have some interesting beers.
Interesting is a good description!

I have visited the brewery several times, it really is an incredibly nice setup out in the Hill Country, about 45 minutes from my door. Gets pretty crowded for bottle releases. And, the brewery is a true Farmhouse setup! They are working on some other stuff too now, like in-house cheeses.

These guys are all hippies, maybe even borderline hipsters. But, they obviously have a passion for their work and they have been well accepted into the craft beer community. They have also done a LOT of work to change the BS antiquated Texas beer and brewery laws!

I do really respect what they are doing and their values. Especially in this age of mass production and brewery consolidation. Their philosophy is "We brew what we like, drink what we can, sell the rest".

Last edited:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I'll support local business if they are fair or competitively priced. If they fall into that designer trend and overcharge, not so much. They should at least have an affordable yet unique house brand.
I bet it's a little harder for the small guys to be as affordable. They don't benefit from the economies of scale. They can't afford the distributor incentives that Big Beer can. Here in TX they have to fight against pointlessly restrictive laws that prevent them from selling directly to the public. I'm sure it's not easy.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I bet it's a little harder for the small guys to be as affordable. They don't benefit from the economies of scale. They can't afford the distributor incentives that Big Beer can. Here in TX they have to fight against pointlessly restrictive laws that prevent them from selling directly to the public. I'm sure it's not easy.
Yeah, and even the small guys--once they hit a certain threshold of production are legally obligated to pay "kickbacks" to distributors, even if that distributor has no hand in that brewery! Seriously, read up on it, it is one of the hot topics in the Texas legislature session this year, and I'm sure Jester King is leading the charge to correct this law.

The Texas laws are antiquated, and they are extremely biased towards big beer industry. And, big beer spends silly $ for lobbyists to keep it that way.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Got this one today. Avery has some great stuff, but a lot of them have a strong alcohol taste. This is no exception, but at 14.9% you kind of expect it. Damn good beer though. Bourbon barrel stout. Right up your alley Phil.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Interesting is a good description!

I have visited the brewery several times, it really is an incredibly nice setup out in the Hill Country, about 45 minutes from my door. Gets pretty crowded for bottle releases. And, the brewery is a true Farmhouse setup! They are working on some other stuff too now, like in-house cheeses.

These guys are all hippies, maybe even borderline hipsters. But, they obviously have a passion for their work and they have been well accepted into the craft beer community. They have also done a LOT of work to change the BS antiquated Texas beer and brewery laws!

I do really respect what they are doing and their values. Especially in this age of mass production and brewery consolidation. Their philosophy is "We brew what we like, drink what we can, sell the rest".
Where are they located? I seem to remember you being in Austin right?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Got this one today. Avery has some great stuff, but a lot of them have a strong alcohol taste. This is no exception, but at 14.9% you kind of expect it. Damn good beer though. Bourbon barrel stout. Right up your alley Phil.
I have a bottle, just haven't gotten around to drinking it yet :) I wanted to buy more but it sells out quickly and I've not had any luck. I am a big fan of Avery's other big stouts like Callipygian (17.4% ABV) and Tweak (17.8% ABV) though :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Where are they located? I seem to remember you being in Austin right?
They are in Dripping Springs, not far from Austin and really just getting into the edge of the Hill Country. That area is really known for Texas Wine Country. But, JK has a nice setup in a real Hill Country Ranch/Farmhouse type setting. After they opened up on that country road, the area has started to develop around them a bit. Revolution Spirits Distillery is nearby, there may even be another distiller near there too.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Top left is COOP Ale Works Territorial Reserve bourbon barrel aged imperial stout

Not in any order but the little glasses from Rabbit Hole Brewing are rum barrel aged Rapture brown ale, Midnight Snark bourbon barrel aged export stout, Mystic Rapture brown ale with coffee, Wonderlust saison infused with ginger and orange, Hole Lang Syne Belgian golden strong with raspberries and blackberries, and RYEteous Knight roggenbier.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Real Ale just makes good beer. Their Quad is one of my favorites. Devil's backbone is a very good one as well. The barber shop I go to gives away beer on every visit and Devil's backbone is one of them. Mmmmm.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I do like the brewery and have had both of those before :) Also had commissar, ghost eye, white, phoenixx, and coffee porter. I do want to try coffissar (coffee version of commissar).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis