The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just saw "The Northman" in Atmos.

SQ: So-so. Didn't hear much overhead sound.
PQ: So-so. Shot in analog 35mm film.
Movie: One of the DUMBEST movies I have ever seen. Will never watch this crap again. :D
That’s interesting. I’ve seen just the opposite from others. Exemplary on all counts. Looking forward to this.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hahahaha!! Throw that downloaded compressed version away!! Doesn’t count. So your PQ and AQ will be as bad as streaming. Both PQ and SQ were awesome in the theaters. And I expect it to be awesome on physical disc.

If you’re not into Norse mythology and Vikings as a whole, you probably won’t like it, but it’s one of the best movies out there regarding Norse people.

come on now, “dumbest” ever??!! Hahaha coming from the man that watches Fast and furious movies and moonfall, and literally all the actual dumb movies out there!!! Hahaha:D:p

I can’t wait to get my physical copy! The drums in the soundtrack are going to shake floors!
I love Norse mythology (Ragnarok TV series, Vikings and Vikings Valhalla TV series, The Last Kingdom, Beowulf, The 13th Warrior, Thor movies, Loki TV series, American Gods TV series).

Safe to say that Norse is probably my favorite genre.

I had great expectations for The Northman.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That’s interesting. I’ve seen just the opposite from others. Exemplary on all counts. Looking forward to this.
Have you read the reviews of The Northman on IMDB? They range from a rating of 1/10 to 10/10.

I thought maybe I was the only one who would rate it a 1/10. But it looks like am not the only one. There are many ratings of 1/10, 2/10, 3/10 and 4/10. :D

I was doing face-palms all movie long.

They could have made a real Hamlet movie or just remade Conan the Barbarian using all actual Norse/Viking descendants and I would probably rate it a 10/10. :D

Well, just don't have great expectations of this movie and perhaps you will like it. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Spider-Man 2 2004 (Tobey Maguire) 4K ATMOS = Reference ATMOS sound quality.

This is how you make a great movie. :D

Great movie, great ATMOS sound, great bass, good picture quality for an older 2004 35mm analog film.

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Spider-Man 2 2004 (Tobey Maguire) 4K ATMOS = Reference ATMOS sound quality.

This is how you make a great movie. :D

Great movie, great ATMOS sound, great bass, good picture quality for an older 2004 35mm analog film.
Now this is what I love to see! Finally, you like a 35mm film!! hahaha! :D :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Now this is what I love to see! Finally, you like a 35mm film!! hahaha! :D :p
Well, 35mm can look good. Just not as awesome as 4-8K Digital Cameras.

Spider-Man 3 2007 is also analog 35mm. PQ looks good for analog. :D

Spider-Man 3 also has Reference Atmos sound.

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
This better be good! After HBO allowed those turds to destroy the final 2 seasons of GOT's. This show needs to right the ship back to quality.
The only thing I didn't like of S8 3rd episode, why didn't Dragon Queen and Jon Snow attack the white walkers and the Night King with Dragonfire before they attacked? But other than that I thought it was good, not great but good.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The only thing I didn't like of S8 3rd episode, why didn't Dragon Queen and Jon Snow attack the white walkers and the Night King with Dragonfire before they attacked? But other than that I thought it was good, not great but good.
There were so many WTF moments. It's like they all got massive head injuries and couldn't think anymore.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah right! The battle of the bastards was awesome. The book is totally different.
Mike, I think you and I might be among the very few people who actually loved GOT S08, even though we would have done a few things differently with the ending. :D

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Mike, I think you and I might be among the very few people who actually loved GOT S08, even though we would have done a few things differently with the ending. :D
The dragon fights in S8 was very nice. The cinema was fantastic. What? Guess those that didn't find GOT S8 good, found Spider-Man better? Lol. Don't know what or how else it was supposed to end, guess those who didn't like S8 wanted everyone to be singing kumbaya at the end I guess.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The dragon fights in S8 was very nice. The cinema was fantastic. What? Guess those that did find GOT S8 good, found Spider-Man better? Lol. Don't know what or how else it was supposed to end, guess those who didn't like S8 wanted everyone to be singing kumbaya at the end I guess.
Not that, just that everything seemed random without any thought put into the actual plot up to that point. Plus, they left a ton of open ended stuff that never wrapped up. That's what people are pissy about. Plenty of what they did was awesome and made sense, but the stuff that didn't make sense was lazy or just inept.

Wrapping up a story that complex is difficult enough. They cut episodes out of the last two seasons and it would have been way better if they'd have had more time...and books to reference.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not that, just that everything seemed random without any thought put into the actual plot up to that point. Plus, they left a ton of open ended stuff that never wrapped up. That's what people are pissy about. Plenty of what they did was awesome and made sense, but the stuff that didn't make sense was lazy or just inept.

Wrapping up a story that complex is difficult enough. They cut episodes out of the last two seasons and it would have been way better if they'd have had more time...and books to reference.
Oh, so it was more about feeling cheated because people felt there should be another season.

Yeah, I think it's safe to say that we all wanted MORE GOT - it was not long enough to wrap things up.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I wanted a more satisfying end for Cercei after all that she did. Jamie deserved maybe a bit better end than that, but I get why they ended it that way. It seemed like they left Jon Snow's story sort of open so they could spin something off of that, but it didn't leave it feeling complete. The one who ends up on the throne was a bit of an odd choice as well. I did like the resolution of The Hound and The Mountain. I would have liked more on Aria, but again that felt like they were leaving it for there to be more.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

The entire reason why S7 and S8 were bombs was because of the Producers/writers. They were being asked by Disney to jump over and work on Star Wars crap. They rushed to end the series which definitely showed in the final two seasons. RR Martin did not have a book for reference anymore so they made stuff up with info they got from Martin. Supposedly Martin gave them the ending, but clearly from what Martin has said since the show ended, that the shows ending was not what he was going to do. Now, part of me says "he gave them that ending because he knew it sucked and he would write something better for his books so it sells more." hahaha

Martin begged HBO to have full 10 episode seasons for every single season because of how much information there was. But the HBO heads listened to the crap hole producers instead and shortened everything up and let them make all the final decisions. Clearly they should've listened to Martin.

Now I'm not saying there wasn't good in those seasons (S7/S8). There definitely was. But it was all rushed. They threw way too much in so they could attempt to wrap everything up. But all they did was destroy their legacy and one of the greatest shows on TV. You should not fail when a major studio hands you $200 million and you have the writer of the books on staff to help with ideas. Haha.

Where are those producers now? oh yeah, Disney cut them after GOT ended. hahaha. Good!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The dragon fights in S8 was very nice. The cinema was fantastic. What? Guess those that did find GOT S8 good, found Spider-Man better? Lol. Don't know what or how else it was supposed to end, guess those who didn't like S8 wanted everyone to be singing kumbaya at the end I guess.
Now I'm not saying there wasn't good in those seasons (GOT S7/S8). There definitely was. But it was all rushed. They threw way too much in so they could attempt to wrap everything up.
I think the best way to sum up the last 2 seasons of GOT is that they were good, but they could have been even better since they rushed it.

Yeah, if GOT had 10 seasons, instead of 8 seasons, it would have been even better than it was.

So let's hope HBO learned their lesson and don't rush the new "House of the Dragon".

BTW, House of the Dragon is supposed to be shot using Digital 4K cameras and mixed in ATMOS, so should look and sound amazing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis