The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

C

chapp

Audioholic
But NOT the SAME movie (4K “Death on the Nile” vs 2K “Death on the Nile”). Apples to apples.

But, of course, 720p “Death on the Nile 2022” will look 400 times better than 4K, 8K, 16K “RoboCop 1987“.:D

I haven’t seen a 480p Death on the Nile, but I bet it looks better than 4K RoboCop 1987. :D
Well, right and wrong. If you go over to Blu Ray Forum and read their reviews on the different format of the same movies, you'll get what I am saying. I have constantly used that forum to make decisions on purchasing movies.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
But NOT the SAME movie (4K “Death on the Nile” vs 2K “Death on the Nile”). Apples to apples.

But, of course, 720p “Death on the Nile 2022” will look 400 times better than 4K, 8K, 16K “RoboCop 1987“.:D

I haven’t seen a 480p Death on the Nile, but I bet it looks better than 4K RoboCop 1987. :D
Hahaha you know that's false! 4k RoboCop 1987 is going to look awesome! My copy will be arriving April 12th. When places like Arrow Video can get the actual film negative and clean it up and upscale it to 4k, they look awesome. Arrow Video has been killing it with 4k restorations. You're just a film grain hater! haha :D

C

chapp

Audioholic
The Sound "Atmos" is better on some Blu Ray movies vs their 4k counterpart. This, I know, and Blu Ray forum is where the reviews and recommendations can be found. Bad transfers, I think.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
The Sound "Atmos" is better on some Blu Ray movies vs their 4k counterpart. This, I know, and Blu Ray forum is where the reviews and recommendations can be found. Bad transfers, I think.
Technically, they should be the same audio transfer. Do you have some examples of which blu ray's you think have better Atmos vs the 4k version?

C

chapp

Audioholic
Technically, they should be the same audio transfer. Do you have some examples of which blu ray's you think have better Atmos vs the 4k version?
Check the Blu-Ray.com forum. There should be lots of them I cannot remember off hand, but used their recommendations to make the right purchase and save $$, too.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hahaha you know that's false! 4k RoboCop 1987 is going to look awesome! My copy will be arriving April 12th. When places like Arrow Video can get the actual film negative and clean it up and upscale it to 4k, they look awesome. Arrow Video has been killing it with 4k restorations. You're just a film grain hater! haha :D
Hate to give you the bad news. But I already saw the 4K version of the Remastered RoboCop 1987. It looks like total crap! :D

I was hoping they had cleaned it up and make it look pristine. But after watching about 3 minutes of it, I couldn't take it and turned it off. It looked extremely bad. I mean video noises and all that. Gross.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, right and wrong. If you go over to Blu Ray Forum and read their reviews on the different format of the same movies, you'll get what I am saying. I have constantly used that forum to make decisions on purchasing movies.
So you're saying that using the SAME EXACT Digital 4K MASTER copy, the 1080p version can look better than the 4K UHD version? :eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, of course, the FAULTY transfer will not be as good or even be bad.

And I have also seen this for Atmos sound. I had to use the DTS-HD MA track, instead of Atmos track because I was getting sound artifacts and dropouts.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Hate to give you the bad news. But I already saw the 4K version of the Remastered RoboCop 1987. It looks like total crap! :D

I was hoping they had cleaned it up and make it look pristine. But after watching about 3 minutes of it, I couldn't take it and turned it off. It looked extremely bad. I mean video noises and all that. Gross.
I will wait to hold judgement until I get to watch it. But so far Arrow Video has not disappointed.

They did a restoration back in the mid-2000's but put it on Blu ray. This is a true 4k upscale. This upgrade with HDR will be on 100gig disc and should have very high bitrates. The last remaster on blu ray would have less than 30mbps bitrate and no HDR.

Are you sure you got the 2022 Arrow video edition or the previous one?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I will wait to hold judgement until I get to watch it. But so far Arrow Video has not disappointed.

They did a restoration back in the mid-2000's but put it on Blu ray. This is a true 4k upscale. This upgrade with HDR will be on 100gig disc and should have very high bitrates. The last remaster on blu ray would have less than 30mbps bitrate and no HDR.

Are you sure you got the 2022 Arrow video edition or the previous one?
Will have to go home and check. Not sure. Didn't know there are two 4K versions. :D

Ok. I have confirmed. The Arrow version still looks like crap. Crap in, crap out. :D

Will be interesting to see what Bluray review says.

Last edited:
C

chapp

Audioholic
So you're saying that using the SAME EXACT Digital 4K MASTER copy, the 1080p version can look better than the 4K UHD version? :eek:
I am saying that as an end user purchasing a Blu-Ray movie or the 4k version. Now asking me where they were made and what they used to transfer and manufacture them. Who knows? I don't and only check out the reviews of a reputable forum to steer me clear of the crap that is being sold out there. For example, just as you stated that your RoboCop was a pain to continue watching. I don't want to waste my time on bad movie purchases as I have done this numerous times in the past.

C

chapp

Audioholic
Well, that one is too easy. Disney blows at atmos. Or better called ATMOUSE. If they provide a 5.1 DTS track on the blu ray, it will most likely sound better overall than the ATMOUSE version. Outside of Disney, you have Sony, WB, Paramount and the boutique distributors doing an amazing job with Atmos tracks. I can only hope it gets better going forward. :D
That one I remembered, but if you check out the forum, main reason for the link, you'll come up with many others from different production companies (studios)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Alright, we can put "The Batman 2022" in the Dolby Atmos Reference List.

I think the Atmos sound was fantastic.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

And that's on streaming! think of what the physical disc is going to sound like! 10/10 for sure. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

And that's on streaming! think of what the physical disc is going to sound like! 10/10 for sure. :D
I'm excited for this one based of the reviews of people that heard it in theaters saying how awesome it sounded.

Would be much better at home, hopefully. I haven't watched yet, but might wait till it's on disc.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm excited for this one based of the reviews of people that heard it in theaters saying how awesome it sounded.

Would be much better at home, hopefully. I haven't watched yet, but might wait till it's on disc.
Streaming or not, the Atmos sounds absolutely amazing in "The Batman". Not sure if the disc will sound better than "AWESOME". :D

No question - the Atmos in this movie is the best Atmos ever for ANY Comic Book Super Hero movie. :D

I've seen this movie twice now.

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Streaming or not, the Atmos sounds absolutely amazing in "The Batman". Not sure if the disc will sound better than "AWESOME". :D

No question - the Atmos in this movie is the best Atmos ever for ANY Comic Book Super Hero movie. :D

I've seen this movie twice now.
Oh no doubt the physical copy will sound better. HBOMax bitrates are not very high. I had to crank up the volume to hear the atmos, the physical disc you won't have to crank so high. Unless you're looking for blowing your ear drums or moving your house a bit. Haha :p

Having watched the streaming versions of movies and owning the physical copies, you can easily tell the difference in Atmos and bass levels. Bitrates are so much higher on physical copies.

Awesome will be at 11 with physical disc!!!

The K-scape version is 95.6gigs (file size). I really hope WB is going to put this movie on a 100gig disc. They did that with the Snyder cut. So hopefully they do this movie justice and spend the extra couple bucks on the 100gig.

This movie definitely goes head to head against the Snyder Cut for sound.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Saw the Batman in my local theater. Was surprised how loud it was, and it had a lot of punch. The iTunes graph shows a roll off at 30hz, which explains the punch,
but STOOPID!!!!! Other than that, I’m very excited to watch this at home with Atmos. Something our local theater doesn’t have.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis