The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh no doubt the physical copy will sound better. HBOMax bitrates are not very high. I had to crank up the volume to hear the atmos, the physical disc you won't have to crank so high. Unless you're looking for blowing your ear drums or moving your house a bit. Haha :p

Having watched the streaming versions of movies and owning the physical copies, you can easily tell the difference in Atmos and bass levels. Bitrates are so much higher on physical copies.

Awesome will be at 11 with physical disc!!!

The K-scape version is 95.6gigs (file size). I really hope WB is going to put this movie on a 100gig disc. They did that with the Snyder cut. So hopefully they do this movie justice and spend the extra couple bucks on the 100gig.

This movie definitely goes head to head against the Snyder Cut for sound.
It could be a 1TB-video and 32BIT/11.2MHz-audio, but our eyes/ears can only see/hear so much.

I think the VOLUME of the soundtrack has more to do with the sound-mixing than the bitrates. For example, Blade Runner 2049 was LOUD for both the streaming and disc.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
It could be a 1TB-video and 32BIT/11.2MHz-audio, but our eyes/ears can only see/hear so much.

I think the VOLUME of the soundtrack has more to do with the sound-mixing than the bitrates. For example, Blade Runner 2049 was LOUD for both the streaming and disc.
I have golden ears. So....... :p

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I'm excited for this one based of the reviews of people that heard it in theaters saying how awesome it sounded.

Would be much better at home, hopefully. I haven't watched yet, but might wait till it's on disc.
When you hit the 1 hour 19 min mark. Turn up the volume a few more notches. You won’t regret it! :D

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
The Batman streaming had good PQ and Atmos, but the plot was not as exciting as most DC shows.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Oh no doubt the physical copy will sound better. HBOMax bitrates are not very high. I had to crank up the volume to hear the atmos, the physical disc you won't have to crank so high. Unless you're looking for blowing your ear drums or moving your house a bit. Haha :p

Having watched the streaming versions of movies and owning the physical copies, you can easily tell the difference in Atmos and bass levels. Bitrates are so much higher on physical copies.

Awesome will be at 11 with physical disc!!!

The K-scape version is 95.6gigs (file size). I really hope WB is going to put this movie on a 100gig disc. They did that with the Snyder cut. So hopefully they do this movie justice and spend the extra couple bucks on the 100gig.

This movie definitely goes head to head against the Snyder Cut for sound.
Which device do you use to stream HBOMax?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Which device do you use to stream HBOMax?
Apple TV. It's not the device, it's the show. Sure it's over streaming, but come on! increase bandwidth a bit and give us some "premium" sound quality. When there are explosions on the screen and my subwoofer doesn't even sound like it's on, that's really an issue. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Haven't tried Batman on PS5 via HBOMax yet to see if I get Atmos with it. Will give it a try today.

*edit

I am getting Atmos on the PS5 with this one.

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Apple TV. It's not the device, it's the show. Sure it's over streaming, but come on! increase bandwidth a bit and give us some "premium" sound quality. When there are explosions on the screen and my subwoofer doesn't even sound like it's on, that's really an issue. :D
I ask because I can use my Xbox S One and my FireTV Cube to stream HBO Max and I notice the audio is significantly louder streamed through the Xbox S One in comparison to the FireTV Cube.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I ask because I can use my Xbox S One and my FireTV Cube to stream HBO Max and I notice the audio is significantly louder streamed through the Xbox S One in comparison to the FireTV Cube.
Oh, I noticed that as well when playing on my xbox. Everything is louder. I have the new Xbox Series X. Don't have it hooked up in the theater yet, but when I do, I will have to do some sound checks.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Third season of Star Trek: Discovery on Paramount + has huge improvement in sound over previous seasons. Lots of quality bass and surround sound. I use Apple TV 4K.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Third season of Star Trek: Discovery on Paramount + has huge improvement in sound over previous seasons. Lots of quality bass and surround sound. I use Apple TV 4K.
What's lacking in the Halo series is bass. Not enough of it. Especially for what's on the screen at times. I was just disappointed in bass quality with last weeks episode. Overall, yes the sound (dialogue and some ATMOS) are just fine, but bass quality is not. I know it's a TV show and typically they won't be putting in deep bass, but you'd think with these $100+ million shows it wouldn't be that hard to add something like that.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What's lacking in the Halo series is bass. Not enough of it. Especially for what's on the screen at times. I was just disappointed in bass quality with last weeks episode. Overall, yes the sound (dialogue and some ATMOS) are just fine, but bass quality is not. I know it's a TV show and typically they won't be putting in deep bass, but you'd think with these $100+ million shows it wouldn't be that hard to add something like that.
I'll have to rewatch Episode 5 to reassess the bass. Episode 6 is out now.

I thought Halo Episode 5 SQ was pretty good. Sure, the bass could be even better, but I heard plenty of bass.

Episode 6 is awesome. SQ was very good. John and Makee finally had the "connection". Story progressing nicely. Episode 6 was mostly about the Spartans and Makee. That's why it's so good. :D

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’m a fan of Pablo schrieber and am very interested in this.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
We can add “Moonfall” to the list of Reference ATMOS sound.

Could be the best I’ve heard - amazing ATMOS and BASS.

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
We can add “Moonfall” to the list of Reference ATMOS sound.

Could be the best I’ve heard - amazing ATMOS and BASS.
I'm going to wait until Moonfall 4k hits the under $9.99 price point before purchasing it. :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just saw "The Northman" in Atmos.

SQ: So-so. Didn't hear much overhead sound.
PQ: So-so. Shot in analog 35mm film.
Movie: One of the DUMBEST movies I have ever seen. Will never watch this crap again. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Just saw "The Northman" in Atmos.

SQ: So-so. Didn't hear much overhead sound.
PQ: So-so. Shot in analog 35mm film.
Movie: One of the DUMBEST movies I have ever seen. Will never watch this crap again. :D
Hahahaha!! Throw that downloaded compressed version away!! Doesn’t count. So your PQ and AQ will be as bad as streaming. Both PQ and SQ were awesome in the theaters. And I expect it to be awesome on physical disc.

If you’re not into Norse mythology and Vikings as a whole, you probably won’t like it, but it’s one of the best movies out there regarding Norse people.

come on now, “dumbest” ever??!! Hahaha coming from the man that watches Fast and furious movies and moonfall, and literally all the actual dumb movies out there!!! Hahaha:D:p

I can’t wait to get my physical copy! The drums in the soundtrack are going to shake floors!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis