The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
The cheap speakers would only lead you to upgrade to more expensive speakers. That’s usually how this game plays out... LOL :)
Lol yes, that is a good point too.

I have learned over the years to save longer and get what I really want or I just end up upgrading down the road anyways which in turn costs far more in the long run...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I disagree guys. I can't speak about Atmos in particular(havent installed mine yet) but, systems with matching surrounds always sound better and have much smoother transitions, pans, and better immersion overall. I have tried several examples of both and would never go back to cheap or mismatched surrounds personally. Movies are one thing too but, with gaming and 3D or SS music there is a huge difference as those channels see even more information.

Another thing to keep in mind is that both the surrounds and Atmos receive full range signals(and get them quite a bit with modern content) so they need to be capable of reaching about 15hz lower then your XO point or LF information will be diverted to the subs. This will ruin the 3D affect by making sounds come from the subs instead of the heights or surrounds like the sound engineer intended.

I should also point out that the further the mismatched surrounds or Atmos are from the mains sound signature, dispersion characteristics, etc. the worse the degradation to your sound you will see by going with mismatched.
I don't think any of us really disagree with this, but to test things out it's totally fine to grab some cheap speakers. Once you feel that a better install is something you want, upgrade away. Or not. Depends on the person.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah I agree that you can still get great Atmos experience even if your ceiling Atmos speakers are $50 each. The key is that they are working perfectly and not distorting or something. :D
I gather that acoustics treatment placed on the roof should put more than a little damper on that experience. :p

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
I don't think any of us really disagree with this, but to test things out it's totally fine to grab some cheap speakers. Once you feel that a better install is something you want, upgrade away. Or not. Depends on the person.
Oh sure, I totally agree. Anything will work. I just get sick of hearing guys constantly say that you don't need quality or timber matched surrounds or heights when my own life experience tells me differently. I think guys trick themselves into thinking it doesn't make a difference because they can't really afford what they want and try to save by cutting corners at the detriment of the overall system. Personally, for HT anyway, I would rather have all matching speakers from a lower line then a higher front stage with mismatched surrounds and Heights. But, of course anyone's MMV.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oh sure, I totally agree. Anything will work. I just get sick of hearing guys constantly say that you don't need quality or timber matched surrounds or heights when my own life experience tells me differently. I think guys trick themselves into thinking it doesn't make a difference because they can't really afford what they want and try to save by cutting corners at the detriment of the overall system. Personally, for HT anyway, I would rather have all matching speakers from a lower line then a higher front stage with mismatched surrounds and Heights. But, of course anyone's MMV.
+1

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The BEST way is to have all the same speakers for your bed channels. That's what I have in my office (with the exception of the center) and it's excellent. Bass response is MUCH better with 4 towers capable of flat output down to 50hz. Center stops at 70hz.

In my theater, all three front speakers are identical and the rest (including Atmos) are from the same line so they have the same mid and tweeters. It really does make for a seamless experience. I did have different cube speakers for my Atmos for a bit and they did a shockingly good job for how not good of a speaker they were. It did tell me enough to know i needed better Atmos speakers, but they were great while they were in use.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The cheap speakers would only lead you to upgrade to more expensive speakers. That’s usually how this game plays out... LOL :)
I'm sure most of us are no strangers to the Game of Upgrades. :D

So you won't find us recommending anything cheap. :D

My Surround speakers (RBH SX-T2/R) retail $6,000 each.

Bottom line - we try to get the best of what we can afford.

But if people can't afford it, they can still have great enjoyment.

The key is in the SETUP, regardless of your system.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, if I could go back and do my HT all over again, I would get five SV831R/SV1212NR towers (or SVTRS right @flyboylr45?) for the 5 bed speakers. Then four SI-831R for the In-Ceiling speakers. :D

So hells yeah, I recommend getting the same speaker for every single channel. Shoot. I'm just trying to be nice here. :D

Last edited:
T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
The BEST way is to have all the same speakers for your bed channels. That's what I have in my office (with the exception of the center) and it's excellent. Bass response is MUCH better with 4 towers capable of flat output down to 50hz. Center stops at 70hz.

In my theater, all three front speakers are identical and the rest (including Atmos) are from the same line so they have the same mid and tweeters. It really does make for a seamless experience. I did have different cube speakers for my Atmos for a bit and they did a shockingly good job for how not good of a speaker they were. It did tell me enough to know i needed better Atmos speakers, but they were great while they were in use.
Yes, definitely. I have yet to hear a base layer with all matching Towers but, I am sure it is amazing.

I too have all matching drivers from the same line. I have Towers for fronts with the matching bookshelves for surrounds(same drivers and box design) and my center uses the same drivers from the same line but, has a different midrange driver with also the same box design as the Towers. It sounds great with super smooth pans and transitions. I'm about to add 4 x Atmos and although they won't be the exact same drivers, I went with ones of a similar quality and construction materials(Aluminum domes and Polypropylene cones). I hope it sounds good too.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
I'm sure most of us are no strangers to the Game of Upgrades. :D

So you won't find us recommending anything cheap. :D

My Surround speakers (RBH SX-T2/R) retail $6,000 each.

Bottom line - we try to get the best of what we can afford.

But if people can't afford it, they can still have great enjoyment.

The key is in the SETUP, regardless of your system.
I couldn't have said it better myself. It's amazing the sound quality one can achieve these days at any budget.

I just feel that for the best sound quality, it is best to have as close to the same speakers as possible for the whole system(including surrounds and Heights). I also like to use all the same types of of other things like amps and wires in my systems(and no not crazy expensive audio fool ones lol).

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Yeah, if I could go back and do my HT all over again, I would get five SV831R/SV1212NR towers (or SVTRS right @flyboylr45?) for the 5 bed speakers. Then four SI-831R for the In-Ceiling speakers. :D

So hells yeah, I recommend getting the same speaker for every single channel. Shoot. I'm just trying to be nice here. :D

Lol, I might pay to come and have a listen to that setup. One of your surround speakers are worth more then my front stage lol.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

You are a crazy person in the best way possible. :)

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
I definitely am not looking to just scrape the barrel. In the grand scheme of things, a few hundred bucks on 4 bookshelves on the ceiling is not a lot of cash for this. Mainly I was just curious if it actually mattered or if it was just spending for the the "what ifs" and all that. I'm not sure what info really comes across atmos and if it matters. There's so much contrived contradicting material out there that's pretty much all anecdotal and I'm not interested in some goldenear style review. I definitely like a meat & potatoes review with honest numbers or at least as close as it can be to that, with some preference stirred in as a lot of this is entirely preference anyways.

So I'll axe the $50 speaker approach and just get good bookshelves since they can be re-purposed to nearly anything if I decide I need better. I don't want to cut holes in the ceiling but I also don't want little tweeters chirping from the ceiling and then the balance is that I don't want huge MTM bookshelves hanging from the ceiling to catch someone's head.

It's really hard to find good resources on atmos in general from the end user experience, relative to finding material on subwoofers or the mains. Surround sound in general I suppose lumps into this, it shard to find good education and resource material on surround sound compared to the LCR/Sub stuff. Surround just seems to not get the emphasis, as I understand it shouldn't, it's extra. I certainly subscribe that I'd rather have the better LCR/Sub option going before worrying over having higher quality surround/atmos speakers. I just don't know how much it matters for atmos. Personally I found surrounds not to be all that important relative to the mains. I can't measure them dynamically, but anecdotally mostly what I hear from surrounds over the years is some little details, mids and treble, nothing profound, little to zero actual dialog, just background noises, effects, which are interesting and nice, but nothing that seemed to scream the need for high quality speakers. But, this is from a movie stand point. I'm sure the game changes a lot with the newer surround mixers that will better use surround and atmos (dolby surround upmixer) and then I can totally see needing good speakers to bother with that.

All of it is hard to digest since without auditions it's blind every time.

Very best,

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

I mean, that’s an alright setup. I suppose it would do. :p
You just gave me a good idea!!

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic

If my room could fit them, I'd have SVTRS all the way around for the 5 or 7 bed channels.

The SVTRS run the show but that SV-831WR center channel kicks ass!!!!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Well, my heights are finally on their way from another dealer. Wow, Electronics For Less is shady and a nightmare to deal with. People in Canada, I suggest avoiding them at all costs.

So, hopefully within a week or so I will have them setup and can try some of these movies and post a review...

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It might be just me but after changing from 5.1 to 5.1.4, I don’t need center spread turned on for DSU on 2ch music anymore. Maybe it just balances better this way when heights are in use.

And I still think NeuralX has a little too heavy of center channel use on 2ch music upmixing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis