The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Dang, Britney Spears put on some WEIGHT. :D

RBH - they are in the process of replacing the current lines of speakers. So yeah, Impression and even the SV speakers are being replaced. Only the SVT will continue - SV831, SV821, SV1212, SI-831. And also the In-walls/In-ceilings will continue.

Yamaha RX-A1080 on ASR website - At 2 Volts, the A1080 has a THD+N of 0.005805%. I don't think Amir claims to be able to hear that. However, a lot of people might take it the wrong way and think that THD of 0.0058% is bad. :D
I was on that site this weekend, I read the whole thread. PENG was on it also trying to bring some sense to it. There are a few members over there who believe Yamahas a1080 has issues because of the test.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was on that site this weekend, I read the whole thread. PENG was on it also trying to bring some sense to it. There are a few members over there who believe Yamahas a1080 has issues because of the test.
Yeah, I think the way Amir writes his reviews can be more of a disservice than anything else. If people don't read between the lines, they are going to think most of these components are pure crap or have "issues".

I think it's a "numbers-tweaking game". If manufacturers CARE enough to tweak their specs a certain way, they will get their components to measure "better". Denon (and probably Marantz) have gotten this numbers-tweaking game down now. So the X3700 and probably all the Denon's will have THD of 0.0002% now. :D

Back then, manufacturers were "tweaking" to the tunes of Stereophile, S&V, Soundstage, and Audioholics.

Here are some measurements of the Yamaha RX-A1020 from S&V: 0.007% THD, Crosstalk of -99.5dB (worse case), Crosstalk -103.6dB (best case), SNR 107dB. These are excellent numbers. I was actually shocked to see the superb Crosstalk numbers.

Denon X3400 from S&V: 0.004% THD, Crosstalk -80dB, SNR 110dB.

So, the Denon has better THD (0.004% vs 0.007%), better SNR (110dBA vs 107dB), but the Yamaha has significantly better Crosstalk - about 20dB difference - about 100dB vs 80dB. But bottom line - we canNOT hear the difference.

Looks like the RX-A1080 improved on the THD from 0.007% to 0.0058%! :D

Emotiva also has this numbers-tweaking game down also.

Will YAMAHA care enough about this ASR website to tweak their specs like Denon and Emotiva? Time will tell.

Bottom line - we can't hear any differences among any of these measurements. And NONE of these measurements PROVE anything about RELIABILITY and compatibility, etc.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Now I’m sure you guys have answered this before but I have two rows of seats. Do the ceiling speakers need to be just behind each row or right above each row?
Well ideally you want them 45° fore and aft of the MLP. So if there 4’ above your ears, top fronts/rears would be 4’ in front and in back of the MLP. With multiple rows that is trickier. I’d focus on the main one first.

Just had a bunch of stuff come up. Check in later...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Any in ceilings speakers can work or do I need expensive ones?
Personally I would go for 8" woofers, at least 6.5" and with metal drivers - like Aluminum drivers. But in terms of SQ, I think any ceiling speaker will work.

Elmonoborracho

Elmonoborracho

Audiophyte
Hello, i'm new here.

The next year i will reform the dining room in my new home and i dream with a 7.2.6 speakers configuration together with the next Denon 13 channels receiver or the updated Denon 8500.

I have read that there are problems with the Top middle speakers and that these don't be use currently. But in the near future DTS:X Pro can be the solution. it's correct?

I use my homecinema for 70% videogames and 30% films. I need a upsmixer to get sound in the 6 top speakers.

A 7.2.4 configuration is possible too but the roof height is 2,5 meters and the distance between the top front speakers and top back speakers will be inevitably 3,5 meters. It's too much distance, no?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hello, i'm new here.

The next year i will reform the dining room in my new home and i dream with a 7.2.6 speakers configuration together with the next Denon 13 channels receiver or the updated Denon 8500.

I have read that there are problems with the Top middle speakers and that these don't be use currently. But in the near future DTS:X Pro can be the solution. it's correct?

I use my homecinema for 70% videogames and 30% films. I need a upsmixer to get sound in the 6 top speakers.

A 7.2.4 configuration is possible too but the roof height is 2,5 meters and the distance between the top front speakers and top back speakers will be inevitably 3,5 meters. It's too much distance, no?
So the ceiling is 8FT tall. What is the Length and Width of the room?

Elmonoborracho

Elmonoborracho

Audiophyte
So the ceiling is 8FT tall. What is the Length and Width of the room?
Length is 3'5 meters (11,5 FT) and width is 7 meters (23 FT).

Distance between TF speakers and TB speakers would be 3'5 meters (11,5 FT). The maximun length of the room.

Distance between TFL and TFR would be 2,2 meters (7 FT) or less.

Do you think i need a top middle speakers?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Length is 3'5 meters (11,5 FT) and width is 7 meters (23 FT).

Distance between TF speakers and TB speakers would be 3'5 meters (11,5 FT). The maximun length of the room.

Distance between TFL and TFR would be 2,2 meters (7 FT) or less.

Do you think i need a top middle speakers?
What's the distance between the MAIN FRONT LEFT and RIGHT speakers to the Surround Rear speakers? 11.5FT?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, 11.5FT
I think 11.5FT is way too short for that many speakers. I would do 5.1.4.

And I would place the 4 ceiling speakers closer to the listening position (LP). I assume the listening position is 11.5FT away from the Main Front speakers?

The ceiling is 8FT. So I think the 45 degrees ceiling position would be about 2.5FT - 3FT in Front and Behind you.

If the LP is right at the rear wall and the Rear Ceiling speaker is at the rear wall (meaning 0FT distance behind you), then just put the front ceiling speaker 3FT in front of you and rear ceiling right above your head.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Could you put up a couple pics? I agree with ADTG. My room is 23’ long, and use 7.3.4. If you rotated the room, I’d still recommend .4 over .6. As you noted, their have been issues with some tracks, but iirc they’re the 7.1.4 or 7.1.2 printed tracks. Disney...
Are you going in ceiling, or on wall? If your going on wall, I’d use the side height locations vs front and rear wall.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, my room is 26' x 23' x 14' ceiling and I went with 5.X.4. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
All I see are 2 speakers? where's the rest? The surrounds the subs the popcorn maker the Wall art? :D Looks nice man that's a big HT room.
The 2 front speakers each has a SX-1010 sub, so that's 2 subs there.

The Center speaker (also SX-T2/R) is under the 150" screen. It also has a SX-1010 sub.

The 4 Velodyne subs and 1 RBH SI-1010 sub are along the front under the 150" screen.

The 2 speakers in the 2 rear corners are also SX-T2/R, so each also has a SX-1010 sub.

Elmonoborracho

Elmonoborracho

Audiophyte
I think 11.5FT is way too short for that many speakers. I would do 5.1.4.

And I would place the 4 ceiling speakers closer to the listening position (LP). I assume the listening position is 11.5FT away from the Main Front speakers?

The ceiling is 8FT. So I think the 45 degrees ceiling position would be about 2.5FT - 3FT in Front and Behind you.

If the LP is right at the rear wall and the Rear Ceiling speaker is at the rear wall (meaning 0FT distance behind you), then just put the front ceiling speaker 3FT in front of you and rear ceiling right above your head.
The top speakers cann't be moved because they only can stay fixed in some specific places.

For this reason i have asked if in my case i must put a top middle speakers.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The top speakers can be moved because they only can stay fixed in some specific places.

For this reason i have asked if in my case i must put a top middle speakers.
It doesn't "hurt" to have more speakers.

I think Ceiling speakers should be close enough to your ears so you can hear them. If they are too far away, you might not be able to hear them, especially when all the other speakers are playing loud sound.

So the front Ceiling speakers are already installed? They are above the Main Front Left and Right speakers?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis